Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times

Advertisements

Apparently after being cut off by the off duty officer, the victim exits his vehicle and starts punching the officer about the head/face through the window of his vehicle. In return the officer fired shots killing the man.

Good kill if you ask me. You act like a savage animal you get put down like one. Not to mention, this man had 19 arrests and had done 3 stints in jail prior to this incident. Far from a model citizen.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2698074

Last edited by louie0406; 07-05-2016 at 07:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 07:00 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,149,188 times
what i learned from road rage, it goes both ways. Both people argue with each other, send words back and forth. When people say or try to make eye contact with me. I roll my window up and keep in moving.

Everyone wants to act big and bad and I'm sure the off duty cop knew he was armed if anything went down. And of course he is protected by the city and this will be self defense. However, I'm sure avoidable actions made by the off duty cop who is held at a higher regard than a civilian should have taken place. Add in 4th of July weekend, and chaos ensues.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 AM

106,740 posts, read 108,937,910 times
this may not be self defense at all . everything is based on equality .

a butt whipping is not grounds for lethal force . if they use fists you can use fists . if they use a club you can use a club . if they introduce a lethal weapon , you can .

but what you can't do is introduce lethal force because you got punched .

Old 07-05-2016, 07:18 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,584,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
this may not be self defense at all . everything is based on equality .

a butt whipping is not grounds for lethal force . if they use fists you can use fists . if they use a club you can use a club . if they introduce a lethal weapon , you can .

but what you can't do is introduce lethal force because you got punched .
I've seen people die from blows to the head. Also, how did the officer know that the attacker didn't have a weapon? Justified or not I would have done the same thing and let it play out in court. I dont usually side with the police but this time I have to. The guy had no business getting out of his vehicle to assault the officer.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:24 AM

you are correct , he doesn't know if he has a weapon and that is the big problem with our self defense laws . you can only be reactive , not proactive when it comes to lethal force .

you confront someone stealing something from your car and introduce a weapon when the bad guy had none and you are now the bad guy . he was committing a petty larceny and you threatened his life .

in fact have a concealed firearm on you and in a confrontation if you are wrestling around and end up fighting over the discovered weapon , if the bad guy ends up shot you are charged with escalating the situation .

these are all real cases expert testimony ayoob massad has been called in to testify on .

even if found innocent in a criminal case you can lose every penny you have or will have in a civil suit .

introducing a firearm in to a confrontation can be a real judgement call and what courts have considered poor judgement can change your life forever .

a butt whipping does not usually call for lethal force . it may end up that way but those are the risks you take getting in to a confrontation but the laws are quite clear on this . you can only meet force with equal force in civil situations ..

i personally know someone who punched someone in the face and the guy fell , hit his head and died . but those are the unintended risks of a confrontation . the fellow i know got 2 years in prison .

if every time someone got punched the other person used lethal force we would be like the old west .

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-05-2016 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 07:45 AM

416 posts, read 248,003 times
Drinking and driving?

Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,232,697 times
The family will probably sue the city, get millions and the taxpayers end up the losers as usual.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:54 AM

yep , i agree . getting punched does not require a lethal force retaliation

Old 07-05-2016, 08:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Apparently after being cut off by the off duty officer, the victim exits his vehicle and starts punching the officer about the head/face through the window of his vehicle. In return the officer fired shots killing the man.

Good kill if you ask me. You act like a savage animal you get put down like one. Not to mention, this man had 19 arrests and had done 3 stints in jail prior to this incident. Far from a model citizen.

Off-duty cop shoots man dead in road rage incident in Brooklyn - NY Daily News
I'm sure the officer was driving like a lunatic too though. Not saying that justifies road rage but from experience a lot of on duty and off duty p.o are reckless on the roads.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,937 times
The city is better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City