Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 06:24 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Any given spot in NYC is not "easily accessible" to the majority of NYC residents!
That's not true as Walmart cannot be accessed by the subway. You would have to pay extra for the LiRR and on top of that it's a good walk from the Rosedale station to Walmart.

Let's be real, who is going to trek out via the LIRR to Valley stream just for groceries if you're not from Western Queens? You're better off going to Target or ordering from online....just not worth the time and money to travel there. Its not bad trip for SE Queens folks, but theres a small portion of NYC residents.

I'm from central Queens and I even have to think twice before making the trip to Walmart. Is it worth the 1.5 hr car ride and gas? Is it worth the almost always long lines at Walmart/valley stream. Most of the time it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Any given spot in NYC is not "easily accessible" to the majority of NYC residents!
If the spot was close to the subway it can be. Valley Stream cannot be.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:40 AM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Yep, bringing up the Walmart in Valley Stream doesn't make much sense. You really need a car to go there. And unless you live in the southern part of Queens, there are other shopping areas that are just as convenient and frankly more appealing. Like the Roosevelt Field Mall area.

As for the OP, there are other comparable stores that are very centrally located in NYC. Target on Queens Blvd in Elmhurst, Kmart in Herald Square and Union Square. The fact is without a car, there is only so much anyone can buy at one time so the neighborhood places will always see some demand.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
Walmart is cheaper and has a much better selection than Target and Kmart is on the verge of going the way of Montgomery Wards. I did forget to mention Dollar Tree though. Dollar Tree is a true dollar store, everything is $1 and the selection is awesome. I know independent dollar stores gotta be hurting right now. I love Dollar Tree. Family Dollar is trash.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:57 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPossesOnBroadway View Post
was sayin cause a lot of americans speak of walmart as like being a big part of their everyday lives etc
In most of America it is especially down south and the Midwest. People go to Walmart for EVERYTHING. Groceries, clothes, shoes, electronics, to grill and hangout in the parking lot, pick up chicks, pharmacy, eye doctor, drug transactions, etc. The urban concept of Walmart is a bit different. In Washington, D.C. they have three Walmarts that are smaller than the ones in the suburbs. Two of them have apartments on top of them and all three have underground parking. People come from other parts of the city to go to those Walmarts on the buses and trains, fold up shopping carts and all.

Put a Walmart on Queens Blvd and watch what happens.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:43 AM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Walmart is cheaper and has a much better selection than Target and Kmart is on the verge of going the way of Montgomery Wards. I did forget to mention Dollar Tree though. Dollar Tree is a true dollar store, everything is $1 and the selection is awesome. I know independent dollar stores gotta be hurting right now. I love Dollar Tree. Family Dollar is trash.
Right, but your question is how a Walmart would impact mom and pops. Why not look at the impact of stores with similar business models? Target is much cheaper than the independent stores. Walmart may be even cheaper than that, but the gap between Target and Walmart is not as significant as the gap between independents and big box chains.

I'm sure Walmart does its market research and there are reasons why there are no stores within NYC. My guess is that, in general, those who shop at big box chain stores in NYC are not as price sensitive as the general population. They have the time to go out of their way to shop and many have cars. If they were to choose between Target and Walmart, a greater percentage might choose Target because they better appreciate the nicer shopping environment that Target provides. People who are really poor or price-sensitive don't have the resources to even make their way out to any of these stores.

Walmart's target customer base in NYC is not as big percentage-wise as it is in the suburbs and rural areas where pretty much everyone has a car. Add in the fact that operating costs are higher in NYC and that its major competitors already have a large presence, and I can see why they would decide against opening stores here.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
If the spot was close to the subway it can be. Valley Stream cannot be.
That's not true, it's not like people from Elmhurst would go there if it was located in Riverdale

Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Walmart caters to poor people. Have you look at who actually shops at Walmart? Millennials prefer Target which has Starbucks in it, and Wholefoods which are usually found near Target store.

Every Walmart I go to has long lines, people who often pay cash, and I get treated like a criminal they have to ID check my Credit card for just a $25 charge.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
That's not true, it's not like people from Elmhurst would go there if it was located in Riverdale
Which is exactly my point....Valley Stream is on the outskirts of NYC....in addition to it not being accessible with the subways, a double whammy. At least Riverdale is reachable with the subway...who is going to pay a lirr fare (its still a long walk from the station to Walmart and then think of hauling all those bags back to the station) on top of a long commute to try to save some money at Walmart....it defeats the purpose of going there. All cost savings will be negated for travel time and costs. I dont get your point of bringing it up in this thread as it is not in NYC. It's close to NYC on the outskirts, but unreachable for most NYC residents.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Walmart caters to poor people. Have you look at who actually shops at Walmart? Millennials prefer Target which has Starbucks in it, and Wholefoods which are usually found near Target store.

Every Walmart I go to has long lines, people who often pay cash, and I get treated like a criminal they have to ID check my Credit card for just a $25 charge.
Um I went to college with plenty of middle class and above people and many of them shopped at Walmart. Its prices tend to be very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City