Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Poor people in NYC go to ethnic stores which offers even lower prices than big box retailers.

The rest of the tranplants all go to nearest upscale markets for organic and niche products.

There is a small gap of middle class people who have cars that would go to Walmart if there is one but all settle for Costco or BJs for wholesale goods.

If Walmart does open in NYC it would have to be Brooklyn, I don't think it would do enough damage to big box markets here but would kill lots of small retailers.
I'd rep you again but the system won't let me. Poor people in the outer boroughs go to ethnic stores AND 99 cent stores with even lower prices than WalMart.

Well off people in NYC go to shop online, or they go to higher end retailers.

WalMart is definitely not going to blanket NYC with WalMarts. If we're all honest we know they just are not coming.

Even in NJ or Nassau WalMart hardly dominates the retail scene. WalMart doesn't do well in major metropolitan areas.

I think WalMart would not kill lots of small retailers here. In NYC people often shop at places within WALKING distance, and unless it's something they especially want, don't even take the train. Far Eastern Brooklyn or Queens residents can just drive over to Nassau for WalMart, but with all the retail options WalMart in the suburbs is just another store that has not delivered a slam dunk. WalMart did best in small to medium sized towns with far fewer retail options, and where people generally had to drive considerable distances to go to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 12:32 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Poor people in NYC go to ethnic stores which offers even lower prices than big box retailers.

The rest of the tranplants all go to nearest upscale markets for organic and niche products.

There is a small gap of middle class people who have cars that would go to Walmart if there is one but all settle for Costco or BJs for wholesale goods.

If Walmart does open in NYC it would have to be Brooklyn, I don't think it would do enough damage to big box markets here but would kill lots of small retailers.
Ethnic markets aren't necessarily cheaper depending on the product, they seem to specialize in niche ethnic products (i.e., imported cookies from Poland) and fresh produce. The Walmart in Uniondale, New York does pretty well (many lower income Hispanic immigrants live in the area) despite the existence of ethnic markets.

And not all middle and higher income people buy stereotypical yuppie stuff, many are either too frugal to shop at those places or have no interest in organic goods

Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Walmart has a fairly large slice of the organic market nowadays.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:18 PM

782 posts, read 527,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Ethnic markets aren't necessarily cheaper depending on the product, they seem to specialize in niche ethnic products (i.e., imported cookies from Poland) and fresh produce. The Walmart in Uniondale, New York does pretty well (many lower income Hispanic immigrants live in the area) despite the existence of ethnic markets.

And not all middle and higher income people buy stereotypical yuppie stuff, many are either too frugal to shop at those places or have no interest in organic goods
Depends on the ethnic market. I've been to a bunch in Queens where the majority of their products are ethnic (to serve the immediate neighborhood) but they also have an aisle or two with American goods.

I agree with your point that it isn't accurate to say that all poor people act this way and all middle income people act that way. But generally speaking, the average Walmart consumer is older and makes less money than the average Target consumer. The demographics do matter. And in terms of whether or not a Walmart can succeed in NYC, I think bringing up Long Island examples doesn't really make sense. I grew up on Long Island and now have lived in a few different neighborhoods in NYC. The lifestyle and buying habits are really quite different.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Depends on the ethnic market. I've been to a bunch in Queens where the majority of their products are ethnic (to serve the immediate neighborhood) but they also have an aisle or two with American goods.

I agree with your point that it isn't accurate to say that all poor people act this way and all middle income people act that way. But generally speaking, the average Walmart consumer is older and makes less money than the average Target consumer. The demographics do matter. And in terms of whether or not a Walmart can succeed in NYC, I think bringing up Long Island examples doesn't really make sense. I grew up on Long Island and now have lived in a few different neighborhoods in NYC. The lifestyle and buying habits are really quite different.
Is there a real difference between Target and Walmart, though? I get that the demographics of who shops there might be a little different, but the stores seem very similar to me.

And I bring up an LI example because The Green Acres shopping Center is predominately patronized by NYC residents, and literally borders NYC. Of course LI is different versus NYC overall, but the two regions vary a lot within themselves.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
The issue isn't whether NO New Yorkers would shop in WalMart. Of course SOME would. But would that be enough for WalMart to turn a profit, and would that profit be enough to make doing business in NYC worthwhile. Would the money that WalMart would have to spend in NYC to build up a business here be worthwhile.

WalMart itself has announced no. They have said they are done with NYC proper.

Poor people in NYC also tend not to drive, and they tend to shop at places they can walk to around the corner like ethnic markets, 99 cent stores, etc. This is WalMart's base.

Well off people in NYC tend not to like WalMart for status or political reasons.

As for the WalMart in Nassau near the Green Acres Mall, those are Eastern Queens residents living in neighborhoods where one must DRIVE. That isn't most of NYC.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The issue isn't whether NO New Yorkers would shop in WalMart. Of course SOME would. But would that be enough for WalMart to turn a profit, and would that profit be enough to make doing business in NYC worthwhile. Would the money that WalMart would have to spend in NYC to build up a business here be worthwhile.

Poor people in NYC also tend not to drive, and they tend to shop at places they can walk to around the corner like ethnic markets, 99 cent stores, etc. This is WalMart's base.

Well off people in NYC tend not to like WalMart for status or political reasons.

As for the WalMart in Nassau near the Green Acres Mall, those are Eastern Queens residents living in neighborhoods where one must DRIVE. That isn't most of NYC.
Many people from Southeast Queens go to Green Acres by bus.

And there's a Target deep in East Harlem, correct?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:31 PM

15,840 posts, read 14,472,390 times
If WMT has really given up , it's because they feel that the resistance NYC government is insurmountable. BTW, I'm skeptical that they've truly given up, They may be just biding their time till they they can either circumvent or buy off thsir opponents in city hall.

And if you don't think a Walmart in the city won't do well, go to a Costco in Queens at prime time, and see how long the lines are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Old 09-28-2016, 06:47 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is there a real difference between Target and Walmart, though? I get that the demographics of who shops there might be a little different, but the stores seem very similar to me.
Huge difference in prices. Walmart sells everything lower than any other store and relentlessly pushes suppliers to cut prices. They are all about discounts. Target is the same as walmart except they try to go a notch more upscale and expect people to pay more for everything as a result. It's mostly the same stuff, but way more expensive

Old 09-28-2016, 06:50 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If WMT has really given up , it's because they feel that the resistance NYC government is insurmountable. BTW, I'm skeptical that they've truly given up, They may be just biding their time till they they can either circumvent or buy off thsir opponents in city hall.

And if you don't think a Walmart in the city won't do well, go to a Costco in Queens at prime time, and see how long the lines are.
It's all about the economics of the lease and build out costs. IMO the best way for them to sneak in is buy an existing business with a large facility and back into it with a full renovation that doesn't need any variances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City