Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 03:20 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If the "cultural elite" was so smart, they would not have failed so spectacularly against Trump. So you must be including the "cultural elite" in among the dumb Americans.

Enjoy the civil war in the Democratic party!

Bernie did appeal to working class voters, but many of his people voted independent or for Trump. An establishment Democrat will not win in 2020, as the public has grown tired of them.
That all depends on if Trump runs this country to the ground. Trump could be the ideal saying of "becareful what you wish for" or "the grass isn't greener on the other side"

He's rambling on twitter again misspelling words, but is a smart guy and don't need daily intelligence briefings. I wonder if he even knows about Aleppo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Democrats already appeal to the dumb. The entire party platform is based on two lies: 1) Wealthy people pay less than their fair share in taxes and 2) Every female and non-white male who is less successful than they would like is the victim of racism/homophobia/misogyny/Islamophobia and whatever other -ism is the cause celebre at that time. Many Democrats still believe 'Hands up, don't shoot' actually happened.

The cities with the largest populations of poor minorities have been run by progressive Democrats for decades, almost a century in some cases. Yet the only response is to hike taxes further or implement other barriers to economic growth such as an ever increasing minimum wage, more regulations, and labor laws that favor unions (who line the Democrats' campaign coffers). The states that are losing the most people to domestic migration are blue/progressive/high-tax states -- it's not by accident.
Huh what last time I checked red states were completely burdened financially. There are more poor African Americans in southern states than in blue states, they are extremely below poverty in red states. Ever been to the ghetto in Mississippi? It's literally shacks for homes.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Bernie won states like Michigan that went to Trump in the end.

Yes some Bernie supporters voted Trump. I voted for Bernie, and though I did not vote for Trump, I'm actually liking him so far.
Why do you "like" trump, he's the complete opposite of Bernie. Bernie would never put a EXxon CEO in his cabinet or Linda McMahon or the multiple other billionaires. Billionaires are just as detached as many politicians to an average persons life. Bad enough they have made a living off squeezing as many dollars as they can from the average person.

As a Bernie supporter, I don't get how any Bernie voter would like what trump is doing and stands for. they are polar opposites on a politics level as well as persona

Old 12-17-2016, 03:47 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Bernie won states like Michigan that went to Trump in the end.

Yes some Bernie supporters voted Trump. I voted for Bernie, and though I did not vote for Trump, I'm actually liking him so far.
What prevented you from pulling the lever for Trump this year? What have you liked about him thus far?

Glad you're coming around! Trump isn't perfect by any means (I backed Cruz in the primary), but he's a step in the right direction overall. If he can reduce some taxes, reduce some regulations, enforce immigration laws more strictly, appoint non-activist judges/justices, and repeal/replace/modify Obamacare in a way that we're no longer forced to buy health insurance under IRS penalty and premiums move back down, he'll have done a lot more good for the country than Clinton would have.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:09 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Huh what last time I checked red states were completely burdened financially. There are more poor African Americans in southern states than in blue states, they are extremely below poverty in red states. Ever been to the ghetto in Mississippi? It's literally shacks for homes.
My family is from the South.

You also have a lot more Black homeowners (not shacks) in the South, and more Black people have cars, etc.

In fact some Southern cities (Atlanta) are known for thriving Black professional and middle classes. Not that there isn't poverty there as well (there's poverty everywhere), but much of the Black middle class already fled NYC for a variety of reasons.

New York City Losing Blacks, Census Shows - The New York Times

NYC places a special high burden on working class or middle class Black people. The most affordable Black neighborhoods are DANGEROUS.

Wanna move into a white neighborhood? It's too expensive. So many just leave town altogether, and it's not just African Americans.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/29...e-on.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/ny...o-move-on.html

Many Caribbeans have been moving to other states or back to the Caribbean.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:14 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
What prevented you from pulling the lever for Trump this year? What have you liked about him thus far?

Glad you're coming around! Trump isn't perfect by any means (I backed Cruz in the primary), but he's a step in the right direction overall. If he can reduce some taxes, reduce some regulations, enforce immigration laws more strictly, appoint non-activist judges/justices, and repeal/replace/modify Obamacare in a way that we're no longer forced to buy health insurance under IRS penalty and premiums move back down, he'll have done a lot more good for the country than Clinton would have.
Though I support Trump on immigration reform, I thought he spoke way too broadly on Latinos or Muslims. It was too racist.

But since being the President elect, he has worked hard to preserve manufacturing jobs, and is working hard with other CEOs in addressing these issues. I like the cuts he is going to make in education (I have seen the unnecessary bureaucracy first hand from when I was a teacher) and I like school choice/vouchers.

Just the fact he is working with these CEOs already and he hasn't yet assumed office is more than Clinton would have done.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Though I support Trump on immigration reform, I thought he spoke way too broadly on Latinos or Muslims. It was too racist.

But since being the President elect, he has worked hard to preserve manufacturing jobs, and is working hard with other CEOs in addressing these issues. I like the cuts he is going to make in education (I have seen the unnecessary bureaucracy first hand from when I was a teacher) and I like school choice/vouchers.

Just the fact he is working with these CEOs already and he hasn't yet assumed office is more than Clinton would have done.
I don't think he's racist per se, but some of his words could have been chosen better. Trump being who he is, he probably said some of those things hyperbolically/for effect.

At the end of the day, the question is whether Trump will advocate putting any of his potential biases (or racism) into the statute. This is very unlikely, though there may be an attempt to limit exposure to new migrants from Muslim-heavy countries (not a bad thing, IMO). I'd be surprised if Congress supported such a measure, though.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:31 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Why do you "like" trump, he's the complete opposite of Bernie. Bernie would never put a EXxon CEO in his cabinet or Linda McMahon or the multiple other billionaires. Billionaires are just as detached as many politicians to an average persons life. Bad enough they have made a living off squeezing as many dollars as they can from the average person.

As a Bernie supporter, I don't get how any Bernie voter would like what trump is doing and stands for. they are polar opposites on a politics level as well as persona
I agree.
Bernie has integrity.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
My family is from the South.

You also have a lot more Black homeowners (not shacks) in the South, and more Black people have cars, etc.

In fact some Southern cities (Atlanta) are known for thriving Black professional and middle classes. Not that there isn't poverty there as well (there's poverty everywhere), but much of the Black middle class already fled NYC for a variety of reasons.

New York City Losing Blacks, Census Shows - The New York Times

NYC places a special high burden on working class or middle class Black people. The most affordable Black neighborhoods are DANGEROUS.

Wanna move into a white neighborhood? It's too expensive. So many just leave town altogether, and it's not just African Americans.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/29...e-on.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/ny...o-move-on.html

Many Caribbeans have been moving to other states or back to the Caribbean.

Dangerous? NYC has low crime in relative to population. I feel safer in NYC streets than in downtown New Orleans or Houston. They have cars because they need it, and housing is cheaper. Many NYC residents fled south just because its cheaper, if they could have afford to live in NYC they would have. I know so many people that fled to Atlanta or NC only to come back a year later due to lack of job opportunities.

NYC has the largest carribean neighborhoods. I haven't been to anywhere else in the states that come close to Flatbush avenue in terms of carribean influence. They may be leaving but not drastically.

My point was more black People are living in extreme poverty in southern states that have republican stronghold. Watching first 48 is depressing seeing the lack of education and diversity in southern states and Midwest. And the crimes committed over a few hundred dollars.

And that's the beauty of NYC. People don't do better until they know better, urban environments open people's mind and opportunities. We have issues but still are better off than red states which are notoriously poor.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:48 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Dangerous? NYC has low crime in relative to population. I feel safer in NYC streets than in downtown New Orleans or Houston. They have cars because they need it, and housing is cheaper. Many NYC residents fled south just because its cheaper, if they could have afford to live in NYC they would have. I know so many people that fled to Atlanta or NC only to come back a year later due to lack of job opportunities.

NYC has the largest carribean neighborhoods. I haven't been to anywhere else in the states that come close to Flatbush avenue in terms of carribean influence. They may be leaving but not drastically.

My point was more black People are living in extreme poverty in southern states that have republican stronghold. Watching first 48 is depressing seeing the lack of education and diversity in southern states and Midwest. And the crimes committed over a few hundred dollars.

And that's the beauty of NYC. People don't do better until they know better, urban environments open people's mind and opportunities. We have issues but still are better off than red states which are notoriously poor.

Places like east new york or bedstuy may not be as dangerous as detroit or chicago or baltimore, but they are certainly not so safe you can shrug it off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City