Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,830,650 times

Advertisements

First off just talk to them about it and then go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 10:30 AM

25,667 posts, read 17,421,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How long are you willing to keep on doing that though?

And why should the OP have to pick up after somebody's else dog?
Forever, since it's no big deal.

To avoid the fight.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 AM

25,667 posts, read 17,421,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
Please explain to me why I should have to pick up after their dog? I pick up after my 85 pound retriever. That's enough handling of s*** for me, thanks.
To avoid being in a fight you are never going to win.
It'll be good for your blood pressure.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:37 AM

602 posts, read 1,267,664 times
It sounds like you've talked to them and they won't do anything. Report them, it's illegal and a QOL issue, offer up your video footage.
Dog or Animal Waste Complaint | City of New York

Old 01-04-2017, 10:40 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,266,761 times
Some new comers with their dogs have been leaving their poop on our block. I had to even push some away from the front, since I almost stepped on it myself. I have a dog and pick up after her each time. She squats when she does both. So one early Saturday morning she just squatted and peed and while I walked away this guy from his Window screams out and tells me to pick it up. This is not the first time this has happened before where people on the street thought I was leaving poop behind and had only peed. So I actually came back to his view and was like she only peed, he then started snapping pictures. I wondered what that would do even if I had left poop? I mean there was poop everywhere from other dogs, maybe he thought it was mine. After that I haven't seen poop, so I wonder if he did that to the actual culprits and they finally stopped.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:41 AM

61 posts, read 105,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
First off just talk to them about it and then go from there.
We have several times. As well as two of our other neighbors. When we we catch them doing it they act like they forgot to pick it up and will do so. When no one is around they just leave it everywhere.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
To avoid being in a fight you are never going to win.
It'll be good for your blood pressure.
Stepping in dog crap is also bad for my blood pressure.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,469,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
So this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I live on a really nice block in Bensonhurst and there's been a lot of people coming into the area lately thatre just making the place look like utter garbage with trash everywhere...that's a whole 'nother story though.

I need some advice on what to do about a neighbor who doesn't pick up after their dog. The worst part is it's a whole family who does it. Not just one person who takes the dog out. They leave poop out on the sidewalk EVERY SINGLE TIME they take their dog out. The last straw was this morning when my boyfriend stepped in said dog crap when we were getting into our car. We have cameras in front of our house so we'll review the footage when we get home later.

We've confronted them about this several times, even while in the act. And they STILL don't pick it up.

What the heck can we do about this?? I'm at a loss.

Edit: it might be worth noting that these people are tenants of the house. Is there a way I can figure out who their landlord is and talk to them about this?
Ha! "pet peeves" Unintentional, I'm sure. Still, funny.

If you've confronted them (whether at high or controlled volume) about this and they still haven't done anything about it then I think they're a lost cause. Ditto the landlord, who probably could care less about anything non-structural and non-financial.

Spreading something on the sidewalk that repels dogs might work (look on the web and you'll see a variety of ideas, but be careful not to chose an option that irritates the dog's eyes - you'd be punishing the dog for the owner's bad behavior). The problem, of course, is that your dog would be subject to the same scents and possible discomfort.

You shouldn't have to pick up after them unless you're dead-set on having a poop-less sidewalk.

The only thing I can think of is tying a sack full of poop bags on a pole near where the dog does his stuff. And keep it replenished. The knucklehead owner might be receptive to that approach, and if nothing else it'd be helpful for people who are walking their dogs and got caught bag-less.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:50 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,592,416 times
Put it on their doorstep. I did this once - they guy came out and confronted me. But he cleaned up his crap after that or had the dog poop somewhere outside our street perhaps.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Ha! "pet peeves" Unintentional, I'm sure. Still, funny.

If you've confronted them (whether at high or controlled volume) about this and they still haven't done anything about it then I think they're a lost cause. Ditto the landlord, who probably could care less about anything non-structural and non-financial.

Spreading something on the sidewalk that repels dogs might work (look on the web and you'll see a variety of ideas, but be careful not to chose an option that irritates the dog's eyes - you'd be punishing the dog for the owner's bad behavior). The problem, of course, is that your dog would be subject to the same scents and possible discomfort.

You shouldn't have to pick up after them unless you're dead-set on having a poop-less sidewalk.

The only thing I can think of is tying a sack full of poop bags on a pole near where the dog does his stuff. And keep it replenished. The knucklehead owner might be receptive to that approach, and if nothing else it'd be helpful for people who are walking their dogs and got caught bag-less.
LOL! Totally unintentional haha. And you're right about the landlord I'm sure, but I feel if enough neighbors complain to them maybe they do something? Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: