Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannik508 View Post
This happened to a friend of mine. Everything went out of the country. At the age of 52 he became a deckhand on the Staten Island Ferry. Things are tough.
There are plenty of people working all kinds of jobs in NYC. So no, not everything went out of the country.

And your friend did get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 PM

954 posts, read 939,748 times
Thank god for Donald trump!

We are all going to be mining coal and building iPhones!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
time to shift gears and stop chasing ghosts if that is the case .

this is where those who really want to succeed find a way and the rest find excuses .

i went through the same thing being a professional drummer back in my early days and dj's came on the scene .

my profession was obsoleted . it took lots of creative thinking and searching to find a new career path out of the blue .
Who knew?

Old 01-20-2017, 09:25 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
At this point, anything.

I used to be an industrial chemist but everything I used to do got offshored.
I am sorry that you are having a hard time. It is really tough out there. Are there consulting opportunities?

Old 01-20-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I am sorry that you are having a hard time. It is really tough out there. Are there consulting opportunities?
He's an older man in his 50s, and living in a homeless shelter. Does it really sound like he's going to be getting consulting opportunities?

Good grief, every time someone doesn't have a job people speak to them as if they are a 23 year old looking for work for the first time.

It's much harder for older workers to find a new job that pays well or transition between careers if they have been out of the workforce for awhile. Personally I think he has the right idea, he should just apply for disability.

OP, you don't owe anyone any explanations if you do have to apply for and receive disability. You worked for years, you tried your best, and you tried hard to get a new job. Things did not work out as you wanted. You are close to retirement age anyway. Consider this an early retirement. Maybe once you do get disability if you need extra income you can work part time or maybe do some gigs off the books.

If anyone tells you this is wrong, tell them to hire you and pay enough money for you to get an apartment . If they can't do that they need to shut the hell up.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:18 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
No skills = minimum wage

Old 01-21-2017, 03:02 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
just being creative and doing the things others can't or won't do for themselves can = big dollars .

i always think of our septic guy when we had the house in pa . he had a grade school education and owned a fleet of septic cleaning trucks .

Old 01-21-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
just being creative and doing the things others can't or won't do for themselves can = big dollars .

i always think of our septic guy when we had the house in pa . he had a grade school education and owned a fleet of septic cleaning trucks .
Not everyone is to do what you did, for whatever reason. It's not really even for us to say. Frankly, we don't all have the same intellect, coping skills, or adaptability.

And truthfully, if the OP has a psychological disorder that prevents him from getting or maintaining employment, some of what you're saying is outright cruel and insensitive. I haven't seen his official diagnosis, none of us have. But please understand there are people unable to work due to either physical or mental illness, and constantly promoting your own rise to the top certainly seems at their expense. The OP at this point seems to be inclined to apply for disability, and since he knows his own situation, if he truly believes that is what he should do, he needs to do it.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:50 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i didn't see where any of that information was posted ? was it another thread the op started ?

you are right not everyone can do what those who found a way can do . but that is what makes those who found a way where others can't unique .

Old 01-21-2017, 04:15 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
you are right not everyone can do what those who found a way can do . but that is what makes those who found a way where others can't unique .
I agree with writerdude on this one. Sorry but the thread is not about you. I don't suppose you were in your 50s and living in shelters when you retooled your career anyway?

I feel for you WildcardSteve. Keep applying and trying to stay positive, but also apply for disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City