Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nothing on craiglist? I mean I'm sorry, but if there are no jobs available, the classified section would be just a blank piece of paper then.....
He's mentioned that he applied to a lot of jobs. Apparently there are no jobs willing to hire him. Why take someone so literally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
He's mentioned that he applied to a lot of jobs. Apparently there are no jobs willing to hire him. Why take someone so literally?
I take everything at face value. People should say what they mean, I don't have time to interpret stuff.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
likely he is one the chronic unemployable .

Old 01-21-2017, 10:12 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
new york jobs - craigslist

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-21-2017, 10:16 AM

my old company has about a dozen want ad's on indeed and various other sites ranging from warehouse to accounting to electrical engineering , as well as inside outside sales .

they require full background checks and drug testing .

Old 01-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
That's not fair.

I hear what you guys are saying but the OP didn't mention anything about his age or living status. I don't know this person. He didn't mention that, he made a statement and we answered according to the info he gave. I have already recommended that he see a mental health professional.

That being said; it doesn't change anything. He asked for advice and we gave it. I'm telling the truth as someone who has been in management, someone who has been laid off, someone who has been out of a job. If the OP doesn't want to follow our advice he doesn't have to. The fact is he is his own worst enemy right. We can baby him and be nice but that's not getting him a job. Just telling him to "keep doing what he's doing" isn't going to work. He's been doing what he is doing and it hasn't worked for him.

I don't believe in that "special" stuff. No one is special. Everyone Is capable of succeeding (yes even people with mental illness; just look at Donald Trump!). We do a disservice to people when we make it seems like success is "not for them" and that they should just give up on life. You have no idea what people are capable of! How dare you just assume they can't do something! You also have idea what other posters ny have went though; We could of been homeless too. My job got completely outsourced; I was sent an email after 10 years telling me I was fired, and I was then forced to train my replacement! I saw that certain positions in IT are getting outsourced more and more so I got out. It was scary, difficult and I questioned myself everyday (in addition to having a family I had to care for) but I did it. Btw, I also grew up very poor.

I'm not special, there is nothing unique about me. I'm just like everyone else but I focused on making the right decisions and having the right attitude. Trust if you met me you'd see how not special I really am.

So dispite now knowing more about he OP; my advice doesn't change. Keep feeling sorry for yourself and give up or change everything and start fresh with a positive attitude and a get help. We can keep making excuses for people or we can tell them the truth. And it is that; the truth. Whether you like it or not and people need to hear it.
He didn't ask for advice. He vented out on an open forum. Just because people vent about their bad situation does not mean they ask for advice, nor does it mean they can take the advice you give them.

Realistically he already knows the social service system, is his 50s, and we all know where this is doing. He is going to apply for disability, and by now he knows the system well enough how to get it. The half of the people on City Data NYC who aren't right wing, are those applying for welfare, and it seems like this forum is a great welfare/affordable networking source. He will be fine.

Just because you want someone to do something does not mean it's the best course of action for them. You guys are pushing your own personal situations onto others without knowing ANY details. As a girl I know used to say, "You dippin' in the koolaid and don't know the flavor!"

Back to the unemployment issue, speak to anyone in human resources. An older man with no recent work experience for whatever reason is HIGHLY unlikely to get hired. If there's any record of conviction or health problems or addiction problems the chances further diminish.

I think you're not dealing with reality. Nevertheless, I'm sure the OP will be fine as he has already made up his mind on what he is going to do.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
likely he is one the chronic unemployable .
He has more or less said he is unemployable. So he will apply for disability and figure out how to get it. He solved his own problem, his way. He knows what he's doing, and for people who are in the shelter system or welfare system, they network with each other and help each other out as well.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve1 View Post
There's nothing.
I like your moxie, kid, YOU'RE HIRED!!!!

Old 01-21-2017, 10:23 AM

there is little purpose in carrying on this discussion if he just wants to rant .

unless someone wants to commiserate with him we are all wasting our time

Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 AM

539 posts, read 523,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is little purpose in carrying on this discussion if he just wants to rant .

unless someone wants to commiserate with him we are all wasting our time
This. You don't get to rant on a message board and not expect replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City