Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
But pizza and delis are just as cheap if not cheaper in many cases.

What about for fried chicken?
I don't eat fried chicken.

I eat everything whole grain. Whole Foods is my favorite grocery store, so that gives you an idea how I eat. Not really a fast food or a fried food person. I'm a skinny guy and I make sure I stay that way.

Ethnic restaurants generally have good portions of vegetables and meats, along with rice. In Manhattan I can even get brown rice at these places. At Subways I always get the whole grain buns.

So now I'm not really a fan of any pizza joint, or any deli.

I think your nostalgia for an earlier era of NY manifests in your preference for all these things that some would claim are quintessentially NY. I don't care about these things. I eat pizza so rarely if every pizza joint in the city disappeared, I would not care. I don't like fast food either.

All the places that I would eat out in tend to be either aimed at immigrants, or gentrifiers so this gives you an ideas what kinds of businesses I like. Not a fan of old school New York businesses and as they get gentrified out or forced to change to the times I'm usually happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 03:57 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
When I see old school videos of New York, the bodegas seemed to have a low key but neat appearance.

Nowadays, most of them are fugly! Stock images of various food on the windows, and really ugly signs, often with the color changing lights. It's almost like the owners go out of their way to make them ugly as possible!
Those images were sanitized. Most bodegas in The Bronx today are no nastier than than the bodegas in most of Manhattan and the rest of the city in the 70's and 80's... and I was here so I know.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,477 times
I kinda hate how they morphed from bodegas to fauxdegas.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Those images were sanitized. Most bodegas in The Bronx today are no nastier than than the bodegas in most of Manhattan and the rest of the city in the 70's and 80's... and I was here so I know.
I was only talking about the awnings. They look a lot tackier now.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I know what you mean.....thats because the Arabic bodega owners found out they can double their profits by combining their Crown Fried Chickens and bodegas in the same space, its like having 2 stores in 1, and now they dont have to break the law by selling lucys because they're making more legal money. So I guess it's the new way of attracting business with the flashy signs and what-not. Evolving business model.
Do you mean like a Crown Fried Chicken that also sells bodega stuff? So far I haven't seen one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I think we need some pics on this thread, or at least some Google street view shots.
There's one on this block

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6753...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 04-12-2017, 02:03 AM

983 posts, read 932,525 times
I think I"ve gotten something in a bodega about three times ever.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:01 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
When I see old school videos of New York, the bodegas seemed to have a low key but neat appearance.

Nowadays, most of them are fugly! Stock images of various food on the windows, and really ugly signs, often with the color changing lights. It's almost like the owners go out of their way to make them ugly as possible!
Because they are the losers of the lot. The old school Bodega is a dinosaur. Those that had the chance or ability to remodeled their stores into nicer delis or sold their business.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Because they are the losers of the lot. The old school Bodega is a dinosaur. Those that had the chance or ability to remodeled their stores into nicer delis or sold their business.
I'm not talking about what they sell inside, just the exterior appearance

Old 04-12-2017, 02:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Honestly a lot of the more run down bodegas are only fronts for money laundering anyway.
It's true I seen several shut down to to this or drug dealings.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
It's true I seen several shut down to to this or drug dealings.
It's why bodegas are typically cash only. Many (not all) are just fronts for money laundering and other illicit activities such as drug dealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City