Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:02 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,600,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I did not say the rest of Midwood couldn't gentrify. But that section is closest to Manhattan, and seems to be poorer than the Jewish part of Midwood. I don't know if I should call it the Jewish part of Midwood though, since lots of Asians and Hispanics live there as well.

And I agree with your other comment that a middle class neighborhood can gentrify.
Jews don't live at Avenue H ?

I think all of Midwood is quite diverse, with Asians, Hispanics, etc, living there, but the neighborhood is simply predominately Jewish.
There are plenty of Russian Jews in Midwood as well and they tend not to be wealthy, in fact they have a relatively high poverty rate.
Orthodox Jews in general have a high poverty rate, but the Orthodox Jews in Midwood are more modern than those in Borough Park, and tend to be less poor/wealthier.
In addition, Asians, as we know, have quite a low poverty rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Please no name-calling.

Borough Park is quite inexpensive to rent in, and would likely gentrify as well, except - from what I have learned on this forum - lots of people don't like to live in Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, so it may not gentrify very quickly.
It's not about not wanting to live around Orthdox Jews, South Williamsburg is quite gentrified. And is Borough Park really that much cheaper than hipster enclaves like Bushwick or Ridgewood? If Borough Park bordered Williamsburg it would have gentrified by now most likely.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Jews don't live at Avenue H ?

I think all of Midwood is quite diverse, with Asians, Hispanics, etc, living there, but the neighborhood is simply predominately Jewish.
There are plenty of Russian Jews in Midwood as well and they tend not to be wealthy, in fact they have a relatively high poverty rate.
Orthodox Jews in general have a high poverty rate, but the Orthodox Jews in Midwood are more modern than those in Borough Park, and tend to be less poor/wealthier.
In addition, Asians, as we know, have quite a low poverty rate
Well from my experience of that area (Ocean Ave and Avenue H) it seems predominately black, with some whites and Hispanics.

I think Midwood could gentrify, but there's not much reason for it to gentrify yet.

And I'm not sure if Asians in NYC as a whole have a low poverty rate, a lot of them are poor.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:06 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
What kind of "inheritance" does he have from Europe? Where in Europe did he live?

You do understand that it's classic anti-semitism to discuss Jews and "wanting the lowest price", i.e., "being cheap", right?
Quote:
Neighborhoods can also gentrify, going from middle class to upper class/higher income.

Astoria was never so poor and it gentrified, right?

What about Greenpoint?

Sunnyside and Woodside are gentrifying.

Clinton Hill was always middle class and it is super gentrified now.
Clinton Hill on the border with Bed-Stuy was rough and not necessarily middle class. Astoria, who exactly was displaced? The ethnic make-up is more or less the same, just not as Greek as it used to be. However, Greeks still live there, though some have moved on to Whitestone, Bay Terrace, etc., or left to Long Island, but that's more due to them moving up, not being pushed out. Greenpoint you could argue has gentrified in parts, but there's still a sizable Polish population there. I could continue but you get the point. In my book, gentrification involves people being displaced in addition to people moving in with higher incomes.

There's nothing wrong with being frugal. My point was if your housing costs are low, you can do just fine with $100,000+ a year. I'm Sicilian. We also negotiate, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I believe he has family from Romania so at some point he received monies.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Astoria, who exactly was displaced? The ethnic make-up is more or less the same, just not as Greek as it used to be. However, Greeks still live there, though some have moved on to Whitestone, Bay Terrace, etc., or left to Long Island, but that's more due to them moving up, not being pushed out.
The Italians have left and the blight areas near the water and around the projects (ravenswood and astoria housing) have been getting revitalize (from around Astoria blvd to Broadway avenue).

Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
The Italians have left and the blight areas near the water and around the projects (ravenswood and astoria housing) have been getting revitalize (from around Astoria blvd to Broadway avenue).
I never thought of Astoria being Italian, and that's even with me having Italian friends living there. The area by the projects always was what it was. I mean you can build around it but that's about it.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
It's not about not wanting to live around Orthdox Jews, South Williamsburg is quite gentrified. And is Borough Park really that much cheaper than hipster enclaves like Bushwick or Ridgewood? If Borough Park bordered Williamsburg it would have gentrified by now most likely.
Borough Park is MUCH cheaper to rent in than hipster enclaves like Bushwick.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Clinton Hill on the border with Bed-Stuy was rough and not necessarily middle class. Astoria, who exactly was displaced? The ethnic make-up is more or less the same, just not as Greek as it used to be. However, Greeks still live there, though some have moved on to Whitestone, Bay Terrace, etc., or left to Long Island, but that's more due to them moving up, not being pushed out. Greenpoint you could argue has gentrified in parts, but there's still a sizable Polish population there. I could continue but you get the point. In my book, gentrification involves people being displaced in addition to people moving in with higher incomes.

There's nothing wrong with being frugal. My point was if your housing costs are low, you can do just fine with $100,000+ a year. I'm Sicilian. We also negotiate, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I believe he has family from Romania so at some point he received monies.
When you say he has family from Romania and received "monies", are you referring to the fact that he is a Holocaust survivor from Romania and receives reparations from Germany?

Otherwise, I don't understand what you mean by monies or inheritances from Europe.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Well from my experience of that area (Ocean Ave and Avenue H) it seems predominately black, with some whites and Hispanics.

I think Midwood could gentrify, but there's not much reason for it to gentrify yet.

And I'm not sure if Asians in NYC as a whole have a low poverty rate, a lot of them are poor.
https://nextshark.com/asian-american...new-york-city/

You are right! (see above)

Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Borough Park is MUCH cheaper to rent in than hipster enclaves like Bushwick.
A quick Zillow search doesn't show a huge disparity between the price floor of the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City