Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the NYC subway system?
It's great...the best in the world 6 6.67%
It's good, but it needs a major overhaul 45 50.00%
It's not as good as New Yorkers say/think it is 14 15.56%
It's a crap system. New Yorkers should be embarrassed. 32 35.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozillameister View Post
The largest subway system in the world that's all wrapped around a single fare.
A subway system cobbled together from the ruins of 3 competing Subway companies with their own visions in mind.

It's insane value.

The subway system itself is pretty incredible.
Considering the age of the system, it running 24/7 and the comments above the NYC subway is a pretty good deal vs. other places that don't have such an extensive public transportation system. But factually since it has not been updated enough with the times and the growing demands/increasing ridership, it is no wonder that it is starting to break down more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 05:02 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Name one other subway system in the US that's anywhere near as good
I am in Boston frequently because it's my hometown. Whenever I am there I use the subways quite a bit and always wish NY's could be 1/2 as nice. Stations and cars are clean and there never seem to be delays for "train traffic ahead" or "sick passenger" or any of that nonsense. They seem to have a regular schedule for modernizing train interiors and subway stations. Only thing wrong with Boston subways is that they close from 1 to 4:30 am . Other than that it's pretty nice.

Boston subway system( 1897) is actually older than NY's too so age is not an excuse.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-22-2017 at 05:14 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,086,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The amazing thing about the subway system isn't that it works so poorly. It's that it works at all.

And if you've ever had to use the subways for more than a ride or two in any other U.S. city you wouldn't complain.
With all its faults, delays, overcrowding, and occasional pizza rats, etc., it's still the best system in the country.
You forgot to mention the filth and the barely functioning payment system that seems designed to rip people off but that's ok.

What is it that makes you feel it's the best despite all of the above ? What are the positives that make it "the best?"

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
3rd world system that is elaborately large. It's pretty disgusting compared to the modern world.
Why do people use third world to describe everything they don't like. Train systems in Africa, Asia ,and Latin America are generally much newer than the MTA and run better.

MTA NY did not upgrade it's equipment properly and this is the result. Now that some lines are being upgraded, that causes additional problems.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I admire your young enthusiasm. What train do you use to commute to work?
He just gets defensive whenever someone says something about New York.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:40 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Train systems in Africa, Asia ,and Latin America are generally much newer than the MTA and run better.
That covers a lot of real estate you listed. I repeat again, third world. Have you been to third world countries? I have. NYC subways are almost as bad but more elaborate.

MTA runs their system to the ground.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
I left NYC for Florida last December. I now drive 20 minute to/from work. I have to say that although I left NYC for other reasons, NOT having to deal with NYC's subway system was worth the move alone.

Commuting into Penn Station from Queens daily can take years off of one's life with all the frustration you have to deal with as a commuter. The filth, heat, stench, homeless vagrants, angry commuters, congestion, delays, subway dancers, etc.... Don't miss it not one bit!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,753,407 times
Thank god I work from home three days a week and only have to go into my office twice. I have no issues with the subway during off times, but rush hour is hell on earth. Almost every day there are delays, packed cars, angry people.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:21 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Name one other subway system in the US that's anywhere near as good
There's no subway system as extensive, but I think Boston and Chicago's are much cleaner. Boston's other issues are that there's a lack of connection among certain lines and it closes a bit early on weekends. Chicago's is that it is extremely downtown-centric and going from neighborhood to neighborhood often involves a circuitous route through the Loop. However, Chicago's system does seem cleaner and there has been a lot more put into maintenance and upgrades (though not extensions). I don't know if that qualify as being as good (especially not as extensive), but in some ways they're nicer. Generally though, mass transit in the US leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
That covers a lot of real estate you listed. I repeat again, third world. Have you been to third world countries? I have. NYC subways are almost as bad but more elaborate.

MTA runs their system to the ground.
It depends on the country. In the context of the post you're responding to, he's pointing out that some cities third world countries actually have better systems than NYC does (and many cities in developed countries) such that saying that NYC subways are third world is a substantial upgrade in many ways.

The NYC system is a pretty good system that needs a lot of updating. It's undervalued in a lot of ways which is probably why its maintenance and expansion plans have been such large issues.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-22-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
But you can't really judge it against the rest of the country, can you? In most of the country, people aren't forced to depend on a transit system. Most people drive to work. You can't do that in NYC. You have very few other options besides the public transportation system, especially when it's not summertime.
That's the point. NYC residents are so dependent on the subway system that if it does go down there is no real alternative. We can't all drive at the same time. And the likelihood of an entire subway system malfunctioning is much greater than every automoble in a city limit malfunctioning. If the subway system is not an efficient and effective means to get people to their workplace, than those workplaces are simply going to move to other cities that can get people to be reliably productive. NYC has to be efficient for it to maintain a competitive advantage. We already know that our political landscape isn't efficient by any measure, we need to make sure that local government inefficiency doesn't bleed into our daily lives. Else we all won't have employment; the liberals goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City