Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the NYC subway system?
It's great...the best in the world 6 6.67%
It's good, but it needs a major overhaul 45 50.00%
It's not as good as New Yorkers say/think it is 14 15.56%
It's a crap system. New Yorkers should be embarrassed. 32 35.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 12:04 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Your arguments are all good ones. I think I'm biased in favor of NY's system because it allows me to get so many interesting places. Boston...not so much
I know. Probably why I'm here and not there too.
How many times can you go the Gardner ,The Museum of Science or MFA,right ?

But that shouldn't part of the discussion of the wretchedness of the NYC transit system...especially for those who have to deal with it every day. Luckily I now ride my bike to work most of the time...along bikeways for the most part... and take a 20 minute bus on the days I can't because of weather.

whenever I have to use the subway during the week though I hate, hate,hate it. All around very unpleasant .
Week ends I can deal with it.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-22-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 12:37 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
money's worth? yeah you get your money's worth because you don't pay much at all. $2.75 doesn't get you anything here. The system is breaking down because it's not properly maintained because there's not enough money because the fare is so low and the system has to be subsidized by the government

Old 06-22-2017, 12:43 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
80 years ? You are clueless.What are you talking about ? Boston subway began in 1897. When do you think NY's began ? Do you think it had a subway in 1817?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBTA_Subway

"The section of the Tremont Street Subway between Park Street and Boylston Street stations on the Green Line opened in 1897, making it the oldest transit subway in the United States still in use."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Subway
"Opened in 1904, the New York City Subway is one of the world's oldest public transit systems."
And what is the ridership of each subway?

Old 06-22-2017, 01:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,114,727 times
Warning: Salt content sprinkled to this post is going to be very high...

I voted 3.
I don't really think it's as great as people rave about.

Sure it operates 24/7, but that's about it in terms of the "good."

As of late, it's just been sucking more and more. More than a damn hooker wearing red pumps in Hunts Point.
It's not reliable at all. Reliability is what, way less than average. Trains are always breaking down, something is always on the tracks, there is always a train ahead of us, there are always delays, etc, etc.

Work life balance is being cut. I shouldn't have to leave my home at 8 AM to to get to work at 10 AM which is otherwise a 45 minute trip, door to door on a good day. When local trains are traveling faster than an Express train, that's a big problem. And by faster, I'm talking 20% faster than 10 MPH which still= slowwwwwww.

Don't even get me started with the cars with no AC, though I haven't encountered that just yet. Summer just started yesterday, so I'll put that complaint on hold.

We're paying more and more and more and more, and for what? I see no improvements. All I see is new artwork, a few new lightbulbs installed and some crappy wifi service. News flash, who needs wifi in a subway station if the trains actually ran on time. In and out. By the time you attempt to connect to the wifi, a train should be pulling in and out (during normal hours, not late night obviously.)

Trains should be coming faster than a comic book geek getting his first lay, not 3 times on the hour.

With that being said, it does work (when it wants to), I'm just confused to where the "hype" is coming from.

Also, what's the deal with the 2 and 5 train?
Is there any strategic reason why some 2 trains run on the 5 line and some 5 trains run on the 2 line certain weekends. (I'm not talking about a west side train converting to an east side train mid trip because of delays.)

From the outside it just looks like a reason to **** people off with unnecessary transfers. If there are still going to be trains on the tracks at all times, why switch the 2 with the 5? That happened last year and I just stood dumbfounded, like usual.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
And what is the ridership of each subway?
How many excuses are you going to come up with to try to ignore the fact that our subway system sucks...it's the worst.

NYC has the most extensive subway system. NYC has the most subway stations. NYC has the highest ridership.
NYC has 24 hour subway service.Yippee !!!! That's it. That's what NY has got .

Being the biggest doesn't allow a pass on everything else because it also takes in a proportionally higher income and should therefore be able to maintain the system it has at least as well as any other city. It doesn't.

Higher ridership= vastly higher income per track mile should =better conditions and service. It doesn't for some reason in NYC.

For some reason a lot NY'ers are only concerned with size. They think biggest = best. It doesn't.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:38 PM

37,161 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Option 3 is an aside that can be applied to all the other options.

I lean towards: "It's good, but it needs a major overhaul" and an adjusted "It's not as good as some New Yorkers say/think it is" also add a "It's not nearly as good as it should be given the wealth of the city and the country"

Old 06-22-2017, 03:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
How many excuses are you going to come up with to try to ignore the fact that our subway system sucks...it's the worst.

NYC has the most extensive subway system. NYC has the most subway stations. NYC has the highest ridership.
NYC has 24 hour subway service.Yippee !!!! That's it. That's what NY has got .

Being the biggest doesn't allow a pass on everything else because it also takes in a proportionally higher income and should therefore be able to maintain the system it has at least as well as any other city. It doesn't.

Higher ridership= vastly higher income per track mile should =better conditions and service. It doesn't for some reason in NYC.

For some reason a lot NY'ers are only concerned with size. They think biggest = best. It doesn't.
It's the biggest, ridership in the Billions and not in the Millions like others, has a pretty new fleet of cars...So:

The only difference between now and past decades is much less graffiti, many more cops, metro cards, modernized stations, rising fines, and the rates charged to riders has barely moved in 20 years. Maybe it's time to privatize it and riders finally pay un-subsidized fares.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:06 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,080,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
For the people that do, they can use them, and given the ridership, can tell you most prefer it over the rat-infested subway. Rode subway recently. Entered in car only to see vagabond sprawled out. Experienced mad dash to next car, but luckily, am here to say didn't smell anything.
The subsidy of the Ferry is incredibly high. Of course it's better right now... for every one person than rides, 2 additional people essentially are paying for that fare.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:57 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
I know. Probably why I'm here and not there too.
How many times can you go the Gardner ,The Museum of Science or MFA,right ?

But that shouldn't part of the discussion of the wretchedness of the NYC transit system...especially for those who have to deal with it every day. Luckily I now ride my bike to work most of the time...along bikeways for the most part... and take a 20 minute bus on the days I can't because of weather.

whenever I have to use the subway during the week though I hate, hate,hate it. All around very unpleasant .
Week ends I can deal with it.
How long does the bike take you?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-22-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How long does the bike take you?
The bike ride takes closer to 1/2 an hour but only because I take a much longer route that is 80% greenways/bikeways...not just bike paths on city streets. I mapped out a route that almost completely avoids city streets. Bus is a straight shot.

Have to do that. They'll hit you just for fun of it in The Bx !

The Bronx has a fantastic network of bikeways.From literally outside the front door of my building I can get to Woodlawn,Yonkers,Mt Vernon on one that goes North along The Bronx River, over to Riverdale on one that goes West through Bedford Park, Norwood, Mosholuu,etc over to Pelham Bay,Orchard Beach and City Island City Island on one that goes straight East and down to The South on ones that straddle The Bronx River and The Hutchinson River ......all without riding on city streets. I can even get to Battery Park City with really minimal NYC street contact going across to the West Bronx and then down the West side.

I still get an unlimited card every month so I'm doing my bit to support the system even though I have become a low user.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-22-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City