Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times

Advertisements

(that's all utilities and cable, etc included though) so it's not awful, and it's on a very nice block. I just don't want to move to a ****ty area and have to pay the same amount for a studio with roaches and rats and people who will throw rocks at me when I pick up my dog's poop off the street. I lived on a ****ty block before I moved here and when I would pick up my dog's poop people would call me the F word and say only F's do that :/

You get to a point where NYC isn't worth it anymore, but sometimes you get STUCK. I need to learn how to drive lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 07:17 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
This is why more market rate housing is needed in Prime Manhattan/Brooklyn. The next mayor (because I doubt DeBlasio would go for this) needs to make this a key part of their housing plan. Without more market rate housing being built the problem will never really get solved.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:01 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
(that's all utilities and cable, etc included though) so it's not awful, and it's on a very nice block. I just don't want to move to a ****ty area and have to pay the same amount for a studio with roaches and rats and people who will throw rocks at me when I pick up my dog's poop off the street. I lived on a ****ty block before I moved here and when I would pick up my dog's poop people would call me the F word and say only F's do that :/

You get to a point where NYC isn't worth it anymore, but sometimes you get STUCK. I need to learn how to drive lol
Port Chester, Stamford, New Rochelle, White Plains still not that far from NYC

Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post

Somebody is throwing rocks at you while you have a handful of dog **** and you can't figure out how to get them to top?

Put that dog **** to use!

Old 07-07-2017, 08:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
This is why more market rate housing is needed in Prime Manhattan/Brooklyn. The next mayor (because I doubt DeBlasio would go for this) needs to make this a key part of their housing plan. Without more market rate housing being built the problem will never really get solved.
Dude, the subway is essentially breaking, and there is no realistic relief insight.

So why would NYC build all this housing when they have no way for these people to get around? The current MTA can barely deal with the current passenger load? They need system upgrades and expansions, but the money just isn't there yet to do what needs to be done.

Honestly it's not people's God given right to live in NYC, and I know plenty of people who have moved to other places and enjoyed their lives.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 PM

329 posts, read 299,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, the subway is essentially breaking, and there is no realistic relief insight.

So why would NYC build all this housing when they have no way for these people to get around? The current MTA can barely deal with the current passenger load? They need system upgrades and expansions, but the money just isn't there yet to do what needs to be done.

Honestly it's not people's God given right to live in NYC, and I know plenty of people who have moved to other places and enjoyed their lives.
Would you stop it already

Old 07-07-2017, 08:35 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, the subway is essentially breaking, and there is no realistic relief insight. So why would NYC build all this housing when they have no way for these people to get around? The current MTA can barely deal with the current passenger load? They need system upgrades and expansions, but the money just isn't there yet to do what needs to be done.
We need to be using value capture to build new subways, including expanded ones under the existing lines.

Quote:
I don't disagree with this statement, however, the political reality dictates that no one would get elected to any city office (save maybe out on SI) saying such a thing. The idea of staying in NYC as a "right" has become the default position of many in the affordable housing discussion.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
We need to be using value capture to build new subways, including expanded ones under the existing lines.

I don't disagree with this statement, however, the political reality dictates that no one would get elected to any city office (save maybe out on SI) saying such a thing. The idea of staying in NYC as a "right" has become the default position of many in the affordable housing discussion.
I have no problem with the former, but we would need very different leadership in City Hall, Albany, and in Washington for this to come to pass.

The city doesn't control the MTA. It really could sell bonds backed by real estate taxes collected from areas benefiting from new subways (Bloomberg did this for the 7 train expansion), but they don't seem to be interested in doing this on a broader scale (they don't control the MTA).

Meanwhile since it's going to be awhile before we get major subway expansion, the infrastructure is just not there to allow massive new highrises to sprout in areas currently not zoned for them.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am going to remind some people that $1500 a month means one person has to earn $60,000 a year. The median income for a typical household is around that. That is not exactly cheap for a studio, and it is becoming more difficult to find apartments cheaper than $1300 - 1400 even in the poorest areas of NYC. Am wondering how much some people make that think $1500 is cheap? Most New Yorkers have not seen their salaries go up. They just live with roommates, but are not making 60 - 80k a year or more.
The vast majority of people in The Bronx and NYC for the matter make way under 60k, so you're right.

I certainly don't think $1500 is cheap to live in the hood.

Look at how much it costs to live in the poor parts of most other US cities, huuuge difference.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:56 AM

954 posts, read 939,552 times
Enter those lotteries and start wearing good luck charms, homie.

Or be forced to move to South Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City