Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:52 AM

444 posts, read 387,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Can tell you that the South Bronx and Riverdale won't attract the same type of people. Riverdale has always been safe, and is an established upper middle to upper class area that tends to attract Manhattanites looking for more space or starting a family or those from other areas in white collar positions. Most of the building owners understand the history of the area, and work diligently to keep it that way. Can tell you when you have a large number of politicians living in the area, that says something about the neighborhood. The South Bronx meanwhile is trying to re-establish itself as a good place. Those looking for a quick commute to Manhattan with the subway will look at the South Bronx and may be willing to forgo quality of life issues, which is apparently what you did. Those looking at Riverdale will understand that it is a bedroom community, with not much in the way of nightlife, family-oriented, with no subway access, which can be a turnoff for some since everyone swears by the subway despite how horrendous it has become, and so it goes.
I agree 100%. Our lease is up in May 2018 and I don't care what BF says we are leaving the South Bronx. I've told him find a new job or learn how to drive but I'm not living in an area where a wind tunnel of trash greets me as I walk out the building. Especially if we want to start a family. I can take an Express bus to work and after riding the 4 train during baseball season I am looking forward to not dealing with the subway. Let my Kindle get a workout while I sit in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I agree 100%. Our lease is up in May 2018 and I don't care what BF says we are leaving the South Bronx. I've told him find a new job or learn how to drive but I'm not living in an area where a wind tunnel of trash greets me as I walk out the building. Especially if we want to start a family. I can take an Express bus to work and after riding the 4 train during baseball season I am looking forward to not dealing with the subway. Let my Kindle get a workout while I sit in traffic.
The South Bronx can be a culture shock to some, and am in agreeement that it is *DIRTY* and still very much so despite new people moving in and rents going up to what they are. It may take quite a while to get rid of the ghetto element because of what I mentioned before. The area is transitioning from a very poor one to a now poor working class area which means it is a bit safer than before, but quality of life issues remain a big problem, along with a lack of amenities. Another issue I see is working professionals with the means to live elsewhere (higher income) may run for the hills after a short time once they see what they're in store for. The one plus it has is the courthouses being nearby which help to keep things ok in main areas like the Concourse (below and slightly north of 165th), but the sidestreets are still complete hell. Am sure drug dealing still occurs regularly, esp. in the summertime.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
The South Bronx can be a culture shock to some, and am in agreeement that it is *DIRTY* and still very much so despite new people moving in and rents going up to what they are. It may take quite a while to get rid of the ghetto element because of what I mentioned before. The area is transitioning from a very poor one to a now poor working class area which means it is a bit safer than before, but quality of life issues remain a big problem, along with a lack of amenities. Another issue I see is working professionals with the means to live elsewhere (higher income) may run for the hills after a short time once they see what they're in store for. The one plus it has is the courthouses being nearby which help to keep things ok in main areas like the Concourse (below and slightly north of 165th), but the sidestreets are still complete hell. Am sure drug dealing still occurs regularly, esp. in the summertime.
pierrepont7731, I grew up in the South Bronx. I lived on Sheridan Ave, near the courthouse. I thought going back would be ok. Currently BF and I live near W Fordham Rd. Because we have had issues with the neighbors in our building the management company has agreed to allow us to switch buildings. We're moving to one of those side streets around the Grand Concourse, around the corner and down the block from Executive Towers. From what we have seen the area and neighbors are an improvement from where we are now. Without a doubt the drug element is still there. Which is weird because you see police cars, especially during the week and on the weekends still somewhat.

And yeah working professionals will run for the hills.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:34 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,048 times
Quote:
As you know, I will be closing on an apartment in the Bronx within a few weeks, so I have looked around at housing a lot. The South Bronx is asking and selling for prices almost double of that on the east side of the Bronx. People like that it is close to the Manhattan I suppose. I saw an apartment listed on the Concourse for almost $500K. It was a nice apartment and large with a terrace and great views. But the area... meh. I wouldn't want to live near Yankee Stadium.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
As you know, I will be closing on an apartment in the Bronx within a few weeks, so I have looked around at housing a lot. The South Bronx is asking and selling for prices almost double of that on the east side of the Bronx. People like that it is close to the Manhattan I suppose. I saw an apartment listed on the Concourse for almost $500K. It was a nice apartment and large with a terrace and great views. But the area... meh. I wouldn't want to live near Yankee Stadium.
People need to realize that the 4 train is at its capacity in ridership. I don't know about the D/B but I will learn because I'm taking that line when I move. It doesn't matter what time of the day but there is a good chance the 4 train crowded and during baseball season forget about. The MTA should really consider "Yankee Stadium" Express trains.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,967,563 times
Quote:
pierrepont7731, I grew up in the South Bronx. I lived on Sheridan Ave, near the courthouse. I thought going back would be ok. Currently BF and I live near W Fordham Rd. Because we have had issues with the neighbors in our building the management company has agreed to allow us to switch buildings. We're moving to one of those side streets around the Grand Concourse, around the corner and down the block from Executive Towers. From what we have seen the area and neighbors are an improvement from where we are now. Without a doubt the drug element is still there. Which is weird because you see police cars, especially during the week and on the weekends still somewhat.

Cops are corrupt and dealers pay the policeman off. Also due to recent controversies, police really would rather not do anything unless something bad happens.

Arresting someone for drugs doesn't mean judges will convict either.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
If I had to choose between the two, despite my unease at times walking around Parkchester, can say that I would live there. While rough in some parts, can tell you that there are plenty of friendly people there who will speak. Some are stuck up originally, but come down to earth once around them for a bit. For some because they may own their apartment, may feel as if they *made it* or whatever, as Parkchester can be looked to as a decent neighborhood for what it is that consists mainly of people of color where even whites can walk around without too much fear of anything happening. Is generally not the case in such areas in the Bronx.

Quote:

*LOL* When speaking of side streets, immediately thought of Concourse Village West, which turns into Sheridan above 161st street. Have walked down that street many a day during the colder months and found it *quiet*, but eerily so. Would think that one of the few co-ops along the Concourse below 165th street would be a better bet. Have seen a few listings as rentals. Building amenities being what they are, could at least have a piece of mind or whatever. Executive Towers comes to mind. Doorman - lobby area is *ok* for what it is, but the elevators are incredibly small and the hallways could use some updating. Apartments however aren't too bad, and the residents span the length of the UN, with everyone seeming to get along and just trying to work and live their lives or whatever. When thinking of the future South Bronx, that may be it, but getting there is like watching paint dry.

Would advise you to do your homework. Where would you be moving to? Given the subway lines you mention, can imagine something like Bedford Park. As with most areas of the Bronx, it too has its pockets of problems.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Cops are corrupt and dealers pay the policeman off. Also due to recent controversies, police really would rather not do anything unless something bad happens.

Arresting someone for drugs doesn't mean judges will convict either.
You make a good point.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
If I had to choose between the two, despite my unease at times walking around Parkchester, can say that I would live there. While rough in some parts, can tell you that there are plenty of friendly people there who will speak. Some are stuck up originally, but come down to earth once around them for a bit. For some because they may own their apartment, may feel as if they *made it* or whatever, as Parkchester can be looked to as a decent neighborhood for what it is that consists mainly of people of color where even whites can walk around without too much fear of anything happening. Is generally not the case in such areas in the Bronx.

*LOL* When speaking of side streets, immediately thought of Concourse Village West, which turns into Sheridan above 161st street. Have walked down that street many a day during the colder months and found it *quiet*, but eerily so. Would think that one of the few co-ops along the Concourse below 165th street would be a better bet. Have seen a few listings as rentals. Building amenities being what they are, could at least have a piece of mind or whatever. Executive Towers comes to mind. Doorman - lobby area is *ok* for what it is, but the elevators are incredibly small and the hallways could use some updating. Apartments however aren't too bad, and the residents span the length of the UN, with everyone seeming to get along and just trying to work and live their lives or whatever. When thinking of the future South Bronx, that may be it, but getting there is like watching paint dry.

Would advise you to do your homework. Where would you be moving to? Given the subway lines you mention, can imagine something like Bedford Park. As with most areas of the Bronx, it too has its pockets of problems.
We haven't decided yet what area. I lean towards leaving NY altogether but that isn't feasible YET. So I want to look in Parkchester, Pelham Bay, Morris Park. I don't need to be near any particular subway line. I will travel and have. BF wants a easy commute. I want a safe, welcoming happy home, with decent schools.

And if we can find that in the Bronx well...bye NYC.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
We haven't decided yet what area. I lean towards leaving NY altogether but that isn't feasible YET. So I want to look in Parkchester, Pelham Bay, Morris Park. I don't need to be near any particular subway line. I will travel and have. BF wants a easy commute. I want a safe, welcoming happy home, with decent schools.

And if we can find that in the Bronx well...bye NYC.
Am thinking Morris Park would be the best bet out of the three areas. Subway service isn't the greatest (is located just outside of the area), but there is the BxM10 express bus to Manhattan, which most use to avoid any riff raff or whatever. Streets are clean, and Montefiore and Albert Einstein anchor the area, and there's lots of good Italian local places like Scaglione Brothers Bakery & Deli. Indian Village, which is part of Morris Park right next to the Albert Einstein campus is quite lovely. Clean, charming homes all about, and lots of green. Remember years ago when colleagues came to the Bronx for the first time, were afraid to drive there fearing they would be shot. We convinced them to come and they were shocked that they were in the Bronx with birds chirping enjoying BBQ, but such is life in Morris Park. No ghetto behavior, clean streets, family-oriented and safe. Would likely find the best deals inside of a house. Not many co-ops that I can think of that one could rent from, but can find very nice places if you are paying over $1300 a month. Saw a nice place the other day around $1500 on Paulding, right off of Morris Park Avenue. Brand new everything. Key is to stay *EAST* of Bronxdale Avenue, as things deterioriate rapidly by the time you reach White Plains Rd in Van Nest. Am not such a fan of the housing stock in Pelham Bay. If anything, Country Club has much better options, though very few rentals and much more suburban, but can take the express bus (BxM8) into Manhattan or the BxM9 depending on one's location.

Should also mention, you can avoid the 4 subway and take the BxM4 express bus on the Grand Concourse, or walk to MetroNorth. Much more pleasant commute.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 07-09-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City