Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 PM

624 posts, read 983,005 times

Advertisements

I thought this thread was about gentrification and rapidly rising rents. Why are we talking about Riverdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
I thought this thread was about gentrification and rapidly rising rents. Why are we talking about Riverdale?
Selective reading I see...

Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I wonder if it's worse in The Bronx than in Kensington (which has many lower income people), because I've never had that problem there.
Would you really consider Kensington a lower income area?
There are no projects there, and plenty of single family homes.
I would consider it more of a working class and middle class neighborhood.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:29 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Would you really consider Kensington a lower income area?
There are no projects there, and plenty of single family homes.
I would consider it more of a working class and middle class neighborhood.
It has a wide range of incomes, everything from poor to rich.

I would agree that working class and middle class is the best way to describe it overall.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 PM

165 posts, read 123,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmatthew5876 View Post
Higher incomes doesn't mean high incomes. The rents have shot up for sure, but basic premise is still there. The people moving to the BX now are those who don't want to pay 1800-2000+ for uptown Manhattan/Queens/Brooklyn. The discount has shrunk, but I'd wager if you're the type who likes to buy overpriced groceries you're probably also the type willing to pay a premium for Manhattan. Furthermore, since the discount is so small (1800 in Inwood vs 1500 in the Bronx) that means people moving there must be stretching their rent budget already.

Whole Foods is luxury brand, the Bronx is not.
Give me a break.... There is a Whole Foods in Newark and Detroit now... Quality of life is better in The Bronx overall than it is in Newark or Detroit.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:30 PM

165 posts, read 123,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
A decent inexpensive supermarket would help the Bronx attract higher incomes, I think a Trader Joe's or even an Aldi might do well. Just because you make more money doesn't mean you want to spend it.

I don't think the South Bronx is ready for Whole Foods. I can see Whole Foods in Parkchester though but I don't know how well it would do.

I've never been a fan of WF and prefer TJ or Aldi more simply because I shop weekly and shop simiply.

There are already at least 3 Aldi's in The Bronx. One on Gun Hill Rd. another on Broadway and another on 3rd Ave.
Trader Joes and Aldi's actually have the same owners.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:23 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
I never heard of Aldo's. While I rarely by organic due to cost, I sometimes shop at Trader Joe's, especially when I know I am going to be very busy and not have enough time to cook. Unlike Whike Foods, not only are the prices reasonable, but the food is tested for taste. As I understand it TJs won't stock food unless it has been tasted and approved. I shop there infrequently only because none are close enough to me to make it a reasonable regular thing.

So what is Aldo's other than proprietary label shopping? What makes it special other than coat?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 AM

444 posts, read 387,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthatsfit View Post
There are already at least 3 Aldi's in The Bronx. One on Gun Hill Rd. another on Broadway and another on 3rd Ave.
Trader Joes and Aldi's actually have the same owners.
People say the area around the courthouse is building up but I don't see it. The area of Concourse Plaza is prime real estate and companies haven't taken advantage of it. When I lived in the area (20+years plus ago)I think the first supermarket there was a Pathmark. I remember the movie theater. But what about a cleaners or laundromat, restaurant, nail salon. And yes those are all personal choices I would like to see. If I'm going to the gym I want to be able to drop off some clothes to be tailored, workout, then get my nails done and then grab a bite to eat.

Hopefully the Food Bazaar Supermarket is decent. I had no idea about the Aldi locations.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:23 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I never heard of Aldo's. While I rarely by organic due to cost, I sometimes shop at Trader Joe's, especially when I know I am going to be very busy and not have enough time to cook. Unlike Whike Foods, not only are the prices reasonable, but the food is tested for taste. As I understand it TJs won't stock food unless it has been tasted and approved. I shop there infrequently only because none are close enough to me to make it a reasonable regular thing.

So what is Aldo's other than proprietary label shopping? What makes it special other than coat?
Am here to say that Aldi's is just like Trader Joe's. "Healthy" food without the mark-up. It's very no frills though. Only their brand with limited variety and the country of origin may be suspect. I want to know where my food is sourced/coming from, and I prefer local, organic food. Like Trader Joe's, Aldi's is very secretive about where some of their food comes from (something *A LOT* of people like to overlook because the prices are so low), which means you don't know what sort of quality you're getting despite their claims of offering high quality. Now on some items they will list the country of origin, and some items are from the U.S. and organic (am thinking about this organic cereal that is amazing that my girlfriend buys from Trader Joe's), but there are plenty of things that they don't label at all.

The GF shops at Trader Joe's sometimes on the Upper West Side when she wants a break from WF or Fairway since she lives in Manhattan and I must admit things taste good overall, but I still won't endorse them because of their secrecy. Some things I find suspect and refuse to eat that are in her fridge, so I either do without or buy them up at WF or whatever.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Dude, the subway is essentially breaking, and there is no realistic relief insight.

So why would NYC build all this housing when they have no way for these people to get around? The current MTA can barely deal with the current passenger load? They need system upgrades and expansions, but the money just isn't there yet to do what needs to be done.

Honestly it's not people's God given right to live in NYC, and I know plenty of people who have moved to other places and enjoyed their lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
Would you stop it already
actually he's right, the subway can't handle a meaningful increase in population. It's the sad state of affairs here

People need to start flocking to other cities as alternatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City