Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 08:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,583,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I walk everywhere too. Subways suck. People think it is so strange.

Why should I pay to be on a hot, smelly-ass subway when walking is free?
Because in the summer, walking a subway stop distance or longer from place to place means you arrive at your destinations sweaty and stanking: smelling like the combined odors of NYC outdoors mixed with hot musk. No bueno!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Well LI isn't an urban setting which I feel better lends itself for recreational activities. There's no shortage of sports or runners or bikers within NYC but I think LI is a better environment for being active in general.

Still NYC is a lot slimmer than other regions of the country though.
Regarding Long Island, LI has more educated people with higher incomes in general and I think that plays a large role too regarding why it has more thinner people who are into being active.

I was part of an event upstate NY today and the people, about 200+, where extremely wealthy (me and my coworkers were the exceptions) from late 20's - late 40's. These were people who own two or three homes: one in upscale areas of the tri-state and the others in the Hamptons, Vermont, Massachusetts in areas near Martha's Vineyard, or other similar places. One thing that I noticed is that there was not a fat person among any of them except one. Everytime I saw him, he was sitting back in a adirondack chair eating something. The rest of the people were walking the grounds and engaging in the outdoor activities that were offered. Bottom line, over years of having been around extremely wealthy people at these type of events I've noticed that it's rare to see a fat wealthy person.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 PM

Hmm, no NYWriterdude posts on this thread? He must be fat.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 PM

304 posts, read 364,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
That's all I am saying is this is NOT okay.

You guys are concerned about your politics, your real estate and your government news, but the issue of health in our society is what concerns me. In your link that is SERIOUSLY something that needs to be addressed in our country.
I goto the gym everyday, and I couldn't agree with you more. It is not OKAY..but it is what it is. You just have to accept it. Not everyone is going to be a total meathead/juicehead/iron head, as they like to call me.

Not everyone is going to be a health food nut, like you...

Be careful what you wish for.

If all those obese people went to the gym, you and me would have a fvckload of competition, and we wouldn't stand out as physically fit.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM

304 posts, read 364,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It's rare for a Black Caribbean person to be fat whether they live in this country or back in the Caribbean. Now Puerto Ricans, yes and Dominicans yes I've seen and know many that are fat but I can only think of one FAT Caribbean Black person that I know and I know plenty.
Black people have very peculiar genetics. It was scientifically proven that they are more likely to have athletic inclination than any other race. They also are rather tall, built strongly, and many of them can eat whatever they please and still have washboard and.

All the blacks I know are either diesel and ripped, regardless of how much fried chicken or junk they may consume, or are very big and overweight which tells that it's in their genetics that they are always obese.....

Look all all the professional sports. Many of them are heavily populated with black athletes.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Can tell you the subway is overrated. Those with options like MetroNorth, express buses or Uber have a *MUCH* nicer ride. No bums or crusties. No waiting for trains for an hour or more. No rats. Can list many other positives, but am thinking you get the point. If the breakdown of the subway system continues as it has for the *entire week* so far, am thinking you and others will wish you didn't have to use the subway.
Am in disagreement. The subway is essential to living in NYC. Say what you will about how good of a system it is, but you can't go without it. Note that I am referring to those who actually live in NYC, not those who come in on MetroNorth or some other form.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:49 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,730,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
This morning I took a bus ride. The bus was packed and during the ride I noticed there was only one person on the whole bus who was height and weight proportionate. Me. It was gross. The bus smelled like people who eat McDonalds. I noticed that there was only one person on the whole bus who was not sweating profusely. Me.
What you don't realize is that your sample size is self selected. Fat people don't like stairs and big crowds so they avoid the subways. All the fat people ride the bus, that's where you'll find them.

A LOT more people ride the subway, so you can't say NYC is fat based on the place fat people go

Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It's rare for a Black Caribbean person to be fat whether they live in this country or back in the Caribbean. Now Puerto Ricans, yes and Dominicans yes I've seen and know many that are fat but I can only think of one FAT Caribbean Black person that I know and I know plenty.
IVe been to the DR, most people I saw their was slim just like all of the other Caribbean islands.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:50 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
IVe been to the DR, most people I saw their was slim just like all of the other Caribbean islands.
Most Dominicans I see in NYC are slim too.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:51 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What you don't realize is that your sample size is self selected. Fat people don't like stairs and big crowds so they avoid the subways. All the fat people ride the bus, that's where you'll find them.

A LOT more people ride the subway, so you can't say NYC is fat based on the place fat people go
There's no way someone can hop on the L train and think everyone in New York is fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City