Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:20 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Thanks for the feedback all. It seems strange that there were many preferences, quotas etc for people of color in advanced education, and employment, but I did not see the same preferences for whites in housing projects in NYC. It is not clear whether whites just don't want to live in housing projects although they may qualify, or they don't want to live there because they would be the overwhelming minority. And if the latter is the case, I believe we are compelled as a society to provide PUBLIC housing to ALL, and if we cannot even intergrate PUBLIC housing, how can the government mandate "equality" but its own flawed policies are indirectly segregating and making public housing in NYC essentially unavailable to whites.
If I am not mistaken NYCHA was sued back in the late 80's to intergrate the Issac/Holmes projects on 1st Ave and 92nd St. Back then the racial break down was about 95% white, 5% other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:25 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times
Yes I do not have a clear understanding of the laws on Affirmative action/Equal Opportunity (in its present form or how it was). With a waiting list of something like 200,000 people for NYCHA, it seems quite clear to me that unless the city changes how it handles its public housing, and then policies with which it allocates housing, not much will change at all.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:27 AM

Diamondplayer.....I know that Parkchester was sued in the late 70's for its blatantly discriminatory policy..they just refused to rent to any people of color..I think it was 98.5% white in 1979. Now it seems the reverse has happened and the housing projects, and much of the other affordable communities are 95% people of color...I believe a balance is long overdue.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:04 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Diamondplayer.....I know that Parkchester was sued in the late 70's for its blatantly discriminatory policy..they just refused to rent to any people of color..I think it was 98.5% white in 1979. Now it seems the reverse has happened and the housing projects, and much of the other affordable communities are 95% people of color...I believe a balance is long overdue.
you will never be able to balance city housing projects, People who work for a living do not mix well with people who depend on government programs for their basic needs, the pjs are dominated by lower class minorities, many of whom live a lifestyle that is quite removed from what would be considered to be normal.
because of the types of people that seem to dominate the pjs anyone who can afford not to live in a PJ will never be attracted to living in one.
regardless of what the tv shows you, the hip hop ghetto lifestyle isn't very glamorous and most people want nothing to do with it

some people have the ghetto mentality so ingrained into their psyche that they don't understand why people avoid their lifestyle.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 AM

I suspect that as the city continues to evolve, and these formerly off-limits communities are being redeveloped for more mixed income residents, and not just for the extremely poor, the housing projects may be forced to re-evaluate their policies sooner rather than later. I was hoping a lawsuit would speed along the process and desegregate these places.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 AM

395 posts, read 490,652 times
yes it probably speed things up like the harlem rezoning project. u mixed low income with middle income. it is a good thing for the neighborhood as a whole.

one thing the nycha could do is to accept not only low income apps. but middle and high income and everyone will pay 30% of what they make. so u will be living next door to someone who is paying 1/4 of ur rent. but the tricky part to get get middle and high income to live next to these low income folks. but in east harlem and harlem where it is part of manhattan and a desired place to live. i dont think they will have problem on this.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM

It would be an easier sell in prime Manhattan housing project locations...and at least it would be a starting point to see whether this desgregation attempt would be successful on a larger scale.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:28 AM

395 posts, read 490,652 times
i think the only place that accept ppl based on their income no matter if they are low, middle, and high income are some buildings on roosevelt island. everyone rent is based on 30% of their income. it is a nice area. it is like the burbs. but it is hard to get in...alot of ppl on waiting list. just like the nycha waiting list. but worse...lottery.

i used to work in the hospital there every summer during my hs years. but now i see they are developing alot of condo building near the 59th st. bridge on the island. i bet those will go for in the millions cuz of the views.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
The only problem with this thinking is that you are missing the snob factor with white people.

Most white people don't want to live around other white people who are poor, much less live around poor, non-white people. There's kind of like a hierarchy going on and low-income minorities living in the PJ are definitely at the bottom of the tottem pole.

Quote:
I suspect that as the city continues to evolve, and these formerly off-limits communities are being redeveloped for more mixed income residents, and not just for the extremely poor, the housing projects may be forced to re-evaluate their policies sooner rather than later. I was hoping a lawsuit would speed along the process and desegregate these places.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Mead, I think you could achieve your point without even mentioning white people. I can't think of any group whose successful members (those with money) want to live among the poor. I'm sure there are plenty of rich African-Americans living outside of Atlanta and DC and rich Hispanics living in South Florida that would be every bit as snobby toward living in a housing project full of poor people as Anglo-Americans. Housing projects in the United States are infamous throughout the world as being full of crime, and I can't think of anyone I know (regardless of ethnic background) who would be willing to live in most NYC housing projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City