Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 02:52 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times

Advertisements

I had to cross the Dominican parade and, as with many, the sound was blasting so loud you could hear it over a block away. Then there's the usual irritation of police making it even more difficult to cross than it needs to be, even after the parade is over.

On top of that, I'm irritated by the whole idea. I'm not in any way anti-immigrant, and I love the diversity of NYC. Like probably just about everyone else here, I'm descended from immigrants, and not so very long ago. But when my family arrived, they dove into America and never looked back. One set of grandparents belonged to a club for their original nationality, where, as far as I can tell, they mostly met to sit around and play cards, but they never would have felt it necessary to prance around in public. It certainly would never have occurred to my grandparents to wrap themselves with the flag of their past country - literally, as I saw some Dominicans doing. It seems to me that once you decide to move here, you commit to the melting pot concept, and you MELT.

But, getting back to the sound, I would love to be in charge of the parades. I'd ban any broadcast recorded sound (i.e. radio), and I'd have a strict decibel limit. Anyone above the decibel limit would have their sound equipment confiscated on the spot. Actually, I wish we'd have more political parades (like supporting civil liberties) instead of national parades, and that would help solve the problem.

I was wondering - I gather that parades have to pay a fee to the city, right? But does the city actually make a profit, or does it just go to pay the superfluity of cops who stand around telling me how far I have to go out of my way to cross the street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,082,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I had to cross the Dominican parade and, as with many, the sound was blasting so loud you could hear it over a block away. Then there's the usual irritation of police making it even more difficult to cross than it needs to be, even after the parade is over.

On top of that, I'm irritated by the whole idea. I'm not in any way anti-immigrant, and I love the diversity of NYC. Like probably just about everyone else here, I'm descended from immigrants, and not so very long ago. But when my family arrived, they dove into America and never looked back. One set of grandparents belonged to a club for their original nationality, where, as far as I can tell, they mostly met to sit around and play cards, but they never would have felt it necessary to prance around in public. It certainly would never have occurred to my grandparents to wrap themselves with the flag of their past country - literally, as I saw some Dominicans doing. It seems to me that once you decide to move here, you commit to the melting pot concept, and you MELT.

But, getting back to the sound, I would love to be in charge of the parades. I'd ban any broadcast recorded sound (i.e. radio), and I'd have a strict decibel limit. Anyone above the decibel limit would have their sound equipment confiscated on the spot. Actually, I wish we'd have more political parades (like supporting civil liberties) instead of national parades, and that would help solve the problem.

I was wondering - I gather that parades have to pay a fee to the city, right? But does the city actually make a profit, or does it just go to pay the superfluity of cops who stand around telling me how far I have to go out of my way to cross the street?
No way does the city make a profit on any of these parades. Have to pay not only the cops but the clean up by the sanitation dept. The parades are money pits for the city and the St Patrick's Day parade is the biggest money pit of all.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:48 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,487,406 times
Something that just has to be put up with.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:57 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
It can be possible that tourism, especially tourism from the rest of the metropolitan area, and the dollars spent during those parades ultimately makes them a net earner for the city. They can still be extremely annoying though.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:59 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,246 times
Quote:

Honestly I don't see the big deal. I see Italian and Irish Americans proudly displaying/wearing their flags and it doesn't make them lesser Americans. So for them to "MELT" they should not speak Spanish in public?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:25 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,477 times
anyone have a violin for me to borrow!??!!? anyone? it doesn't have to be that big!

Old 08-13-2017, 05:34 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Quote:

Have you ever seen the Irish, Italian, Brazilian, Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc parades? All of them have their flags and people wearing them, etc..

Old 08-13-2017, 05:37 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,973,458 times
It's racist now to even mention assimilation.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:52 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's racist now to even mention assimilation.
In every parade, people of said country bring out their flags, music, dance etc and demonstrate during the parade. OP is singling out the Dominican Parade when all parades do the same thing.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:36 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
You obviously weren't paying attention to the women.

Grab a Presidente and join the fun !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City