Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:19 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,445 times

Advertisements

Nation specific parades = not OK
Gay pride parade with rainbow flag = OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 02:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
My neighborhood is American. I couldn't find another nation's flag flying if I tried.

Assimilation is heading back to your birth country to kill the people you left behind in a world war. Some immigrants do that, some won't. That's the ultimate test.
Well then be glad these people who might fly other flags aren't moving into your neighborhood. You don't want to see all that and hear other languages, so be happy they apparently aren't jumping up and down to be with you.

Though Black servicemen who fought for this country where denied full GI benefits, and you couldn't have been any more assimilated than them. They were Christian, spoke only English and still screwed and not given the full rights of Americans.

Why would anyone bother to assimilate in an all "American" neighborhood, with all that implies? I think the white neo confederates who were marching in Viriginia and Seattle don't approve of that kind of stuff. You know, the ones wishing the confederacy had won the war, and who just LOVE the US before the 60s.

Racial issues aside, you hate people because of this or that, and just want to lock people up in jail, so if you are representative of SI why in good's name would anyone want to assimilate with that. Your neighborhood is for YOUR people, with all that implies.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:37 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Trashy Russians act a lot like trashy Italians. You don't see the similarities?
You really have a hatred for Italians. Why?

Trashy Italians have a lot of similarities with trashy Hispanics. Trashy Hispanics have a lot of similarities with trashy Blacks. You can go on this tangent forever, because trash is trash. Communities that have larger amounts of low income people will contain larger amounts of trash. You really should tame your bigotry though. It is not nice to refer to groups of people as trash.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I guarantee you that 1st generation Italian, Irish, German, etc. Immigrants weren't fully assimilating either. In fact, we have more than ample evidence.

I'm no fan of FOB acting Russians but it's disingenuous to act like all 1st generation immigrants assimilate entirely.

Immigrants almost never assimilate entirely for a variety of reasons. It is their children and grandchildren that do.
Many 1st generation and 2nd generation American born citizens of Italy, Ireland and Germany were not taught to speak in their native tongue.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Many 1st generation and 2nd generation American born citizens of Italy, Ireland and Germany were not taught to speak in their native tongue.
When they used to immigrate in large numbers, many first and second gen german and dutch immigrants spoke mainly their native languages and practiced their own cultures. Those were the first hand accounts of famous US people at the time. This is no different from the behavior of latinos and other immigrant groups roday. And the descendants of the English spoke with a british accent for a long time.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:38 AM

123 posts, read 103,710 times
I wonder how the native Americans felt about our parade oh wait no all I can really say is it wasn't just a one day parade and it wasn't loud music that killed them

Old 08-14-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
When they used to immigrate in large numbers, many first and second gen german and dutch immigrants spoke mainly their native languages and practiced their own cultures. Those were the first hand accounts of famous US people at the time. This is no different from the behavior of latinos and other immigrant groups roday. And the descendants of the English spoke with a british accent for a long time.
Mine didn't. Dutch? I suspect your going a bit further back in time than I was. I can't speak for 18th and 19th century immigrants.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:01 AM

25,371 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
In every parade, people of said country bring out their flags, music, dance etc and demonstrate during the parade. OP is singling out the Dominican Parade when all parades do the same thing.

My mental response is always the same: If your "homeland" was so worth celebrating, why the f**k don't you go back there. My Ukrainian ancestry goes back to the Civil War...Austrian side came over 100 years ago. I celebrate neither.

Weekend parades are much less annoying this year because with the Second Avenue Q-train. I rarely take buses anymore. It was a chore to get detoured in a bus by a parade nearly every weekend all Summer.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:04 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Mine didn't. Dutch? I suspect your going a bit further back in time than I was. I can't speak for 18th and 19th century immigrants.

18th and 19th century was the time when germans and dutch immigrated in large numbers, similar to the behavior of latinos today. That is why their practices then are relevant.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My mental response is always the same: If your "homeland" was so worth celebrating, why the f**k don't you go back there. My Ukrainian ancestry goes back to the Civil War...Austrian side came over 100 years ago. I celebrate neither.
They are celebrating their culture. Their music, food, attire, etc...not their suppressed governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City