Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:15 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how many things in your personal life changed via some political party to the point you do not do what you did daily ? like i said ,except for the draft , nothing ever changed . i do what i do day in and day out and ultimately i made everything happen in my life . all i do is learn to play the cards because despite what you think you HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THE DEALER .

further more ,no one ever found a way to repeal the business cycle and recessions and inflation have always been part of it regardless of who is in power as well the recovery so you can't even say it is this party or that party .
Change is subtle and incremental. Life has changed DRASTICALLY within my lifetime. One example: The cost of living as it relates to shelter! That has everything to do with policy as well as mindset. "Greed is good." We can affect change one person at a time and it can have lasting effects with patience and tenacity. I know I have had a lot of influence among my peers because of a steady drumbeat I have beat over a decade. They have become influencers, and those ideas, which I was once in a minority are now commonly held and will eventually be seen in the ballot box. (I give it 5-10 years.)

Yes, we should also make things happen for ourselves. But honestly, you have less control over events in your life than you'd like to believe. We are born a certain skin color, certain gender, into a certain economic class, nationality, innate intelligence, and a whole slew of other factors outside of our control. Those with more privilege have more agency than those with less. To say nothing has ever changed either equates your massive privilege, or your massive under privilege.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
technology has made everything cheaper regardless who was in power all well as nothing became out of anything i protested against .

much better off learning to play those cards . things rarely change from all this political bull that you personally can benefit from or that will change your life in any way .

if you never told me who was in power at any point in time in my life i would have never known anyone was out and new politicians in .

Old 09-06-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
technology has made everything cheaper regardless who was in power all well as nothing became out of anything i protested against .

much better off learning to play those cards . things rarely change from all this political bull that you personally can benefit from or that will change your life in any way .

if you never told me who was in power at any point in time in my life i would have never known anyone was out and new politicians in .
I would suggest you don't see things because you aren't following it closely enough.

Also, those who fail to ask, fail to get. Complacency endures nothing changes.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:42 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
You might want to think about the bacteria part of that....... hmmm.... unless you don't cook much.

10 years isn't particularly long. I have dishes in my cupboard that are older than that. Not many left, but that is because my daughter drops them on the stone floor on a regular basis.

The tenure of much of your threads equates value with cost. My ex is like that and have found that he often spends more money on things that afford him less longevity than things I purchase for less. I would like to challenge the notion. Top price doesn't necessarily mean top quality.
Some items have simply been in boxes brand new, so bacteria isn't a problem, and dishes are thoroughly washed a dried. Everything looks brand new. Rarely overpay for things. Know what I like and what it's worth. Thing is buying cheap can burn you. Can spend more replacing the things.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I would suggest you don't see things because you aren't following it closely enough.

Also, those who fail to ask, fail to get. Complacency endures nothing changes.
let me know how that works out for you in the long run .

it is okay to care about things and voice opinions , but you better have a plan b for dealing with things as they stand .

always better to plan and act around what was , what is , and what is likely to continue rather than count on something changing based on politics and changing your daily life .

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-06-2017 at 06:53 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 07:01 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
People want the USA to be like china in manufacturing and production. But that would require having Americans work in sweatshop conditions. I don't get what's so hard to understand the differences in made in USA and made in china. We have regulations especially in Labor and environment that help to prevent corporations from paying us .99 cents an hour and polute our environment even more. Regulations are needed or else companies would do whatever they want even more so to increase their profits. The wealth gap gets larger by the day and wages are stagnant for a reason.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:14 AM

actually labor costs have sky rocketed in the top chinese factories . my old company switched to mexico to a state of the art cnc facility there because of the difference now in manufacturing costs . still lower than here but the differences are shrinking .

labor costs in china now exceed every latin american country except chile .

Old 09-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Some items have simply been in boxes brand new, so bacteria isn't a problem, and dishes are thoroughly washed a dried. Everything looks brand new. Rarely overpay for things. Know what I like and what it's worth. Thing is buying cheap can burn you. Can spend more replacing the things.
You misunderstand me. The majority of things on the market place are marked up, many by 300% or more above the cost to make and overhead. If you are paying $60 for a cutting board, you are over paying. A quality hand crafted board with fancy wood costs under $20 to make.

As far as bacteria: if you have decent knives and use your boards, and clean them meticulously after each use, hand wash, hand drying them, they STILL WILL need to be replaced periodically because there will be micro-abrasions in the surface. Bamboo is better than most in that regard but unless you're hand sanding it periodically, and putting walnut oil on it on a regular basis, it WILL NEED to be replaced. Or course, I don't get the impression you cook a lot of things from scratch, hence your Whole Foods addiction, the place for ready made convenience. I also read, there is not a lot of value in buying everything organic because some foods don't really make an impact on quality and taste the way others do.

I KNOW I spend less on stuff than you do, and I have NO complaints on anything I buy that was purchased with the expectation to last. I have also bought things dirt cheap that lasted so long, I got rid of them because I tired of them. (A pair of Teva like sandles I bought in the Men's section of Payless when I was 20... they had purple straps and were cute so I bought them. I got rid of them out of bordem and they were still going strong. Bought a pair of Clarks that fell apart after a half a summer of use. )

I tend to use the evil empire, Amazon Prime for most things. It was a habit I got into when I had an infant and did not have time to get around. I found I had more selection of items than I could ever find in a brick and mortar and could read reviews before I purchased. So first I select Prime, then I select top stars, and rarely filter by anything else, unless the selection is vaste. I do purview the various price points but am skeptical once the price deviates to far from the median in either direction. Then I start to read the reviews and the description of the item. Based on what I read, I make a selection. I can guarantee you, I pay 30% less on most things that you do and the products I purchase are very high quality.

I learned when I was 22 years old working for a Jewelry advertiser just how much stuff is marked up. Just recently, I read that the best value on wine is around the $30 price point. Once you start paying more, you are paying for advertising and labelling because a grape, is a grape. It's either good or not. Apple iPhones only cost around $225 to make. Anything in William Sonoma is over priced. While I don't go there often due to sheer laziness, you can't beat quality and value in the Bowery restaraunt supply. Kitchen items are notorious for markup because they are selling a lifestyle. Hence wealthy people renovating with fancy kitchens yet they don't actually cook, at all. I've seen people with Vikings who don't own a spatula! Glasses are controlled by Luxotica and have a ridiculous markup. Why? It's Fn healthcare if you boil it down. Warby Parker makes stylish and quality glasses for under $100 each, including the lenses, and they donate glasses to 3rd world children!

Don't allow the sizzle to sell you. Marketing is evil.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
let me know how that works out for you in the long run .

it is okay to care about things and voice opinions , but you better have a plan b for dealing with things as they stand .

always better to plan and act around what was , what is , and what is likely to continue rather than count on something changing based on politics and changing your daily life .
You know we can walk and chew gum at the same time and be effective at both.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Robots could have taken over manufacturing years ago. But the fear is that somebody wont get paid. So this is why these silly unions still exist, to protect the lives of people, when these people can be replaced with a robot that can do the job faster, and with no loss of life.

Take for example - the construction industry. Construction workers die every year, and it's a shame that NYC is not at the forefront of the construction industry by using 3D printing. If I had the coin, I would invest in a 3D printing building business, and situate it on vacant land near JFK. I would just buy city lots, print out my buildings and slap them on the lots. Much faster and safer.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City