Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 7,036 times

Advertisements

the scammers are going to have a field day with this. They will never have to pay to use the train again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 AM

6,682 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineeda_crib View Post
the scammers are going to have a field day with this. They will never have to pay to use the train again.
Totally- a hackers paradise.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:37 AM

954 posts, read 939,046 times
Honestly nfc doesn’t even work that well! I used Apple Pay for many months. I stopped because it only worked 80% of the time. That may sound impressive but that means that 20% of the time I look like an *******.

Trust me, I’m no technophobe. I’m always the first the get the new iPhone, I have a smarthome, I’ve worked in IT for many years, but what’s the point? Metrocards work fine. I can’t stand using technology for technology’s sake. There has to be a need/reason.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,475,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Honestly nfc doesn’t even work that well! I used Apple Pay for many months. I stopped because it only worked 80% of the time. That may sound impressive but that means that 20% of the time I look like an *******.

Trust me, I’m no technophobe. I’m always the first the get the new iPhone, I have a smarthome, I’ve worked in IT for many years, but what’s the point? Metrocards work fine. I can’t stand using technology for technology’s sake. There has to be a need/reason.
The only bad thing about Metrocards is the amount of litter they produce

Old 10-08-2017, 12:34 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post

NFC can work fine, it's an implementation issue that can be fixed. Contactless/tap fare, when done reliably which has been the case throughout the world, is generally faster in terms of having fewer people mis-swipe at the wrong speed. This is especially impactful for bus boarding. There's also potentially less litter.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:36 PM

34,074 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Its especially great for people who lose Metrocards

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-08-2017, 01:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,765 times
Some of us exclusively only use burner phones with none of our personal information attached. What happens to us?

Old 10-08-2017, 04:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Then they might be screwed.

Not NICE to screw over seniors, especially VOTING seniors.

The MTA is thinking long term

It would be the first time.
Markets are never geared towards seniors. Ever. If it were left up to seniors there wouldn't be an internet. If it were left up to seniors who hate change we would be living as cave men.

So again of course the MTA does not and will not care about seniors . If they can't adapt to smartphones they are not really in shape to use public transportation anyway.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Nywriterdude is being edgy for the sake of being edgy

The flaws of a smartphone only system are too obvious to ignore. What if there's a hold on your debit card, or your phone is lost or stolen, of if the battery is dead, and of course people who don't have smartphones.
None of this means that the MTA shouldn't embrace new technologies, just like everywhere else. Take care of your smartphone.

Most New Yorkers and most people who ride subways have smartphones.

By the way, this e-tix app has been on the LIRR and the MNRR for a YEAR and it has worked so well they are now testing it out on subways.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,765 times
quote:
Most New Yorkers and most people who ride subways have smartphones.

But what if we don't want our identity and lives, financial and otherwise, privy to the MTA? I have a semi-smart phone, more dumb than smart. it's all i can afford. Again, what about us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: