Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 10:53 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I took the L shuttle one time and it was terrible, it takes forever for buses to go down those little Bushwick streets. It was so bad that I actually got out after 2 stops and got a cab.

Actually, when I do go out late on weeknights I notice plenty of tourists. It's not like the subways are jam packed with them at 3AM, but a lot of them do utilize the late night subway.
Right--if the (unlikely) weekday overnight shutdown were to be implemented, it would be awful were they to implement as the replacement shuttles are implemented now. However, if implemented with a variety of features that have been adopted in other parts of the world, it can actually end up saving a lot of people more time than the subway does AND lower costs of operations/time to put the subway in good repair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 11:05 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Every 20 minutes or so, but it depends on the line, as some lines still have two or more services running on them at late nights. A lot of people work or go out late at night. Plus at 4:30 am some people are leaving home to go to work. Just as the bars close, a group of people who work early start getting on the trains at 5am.
That's still pretty frequent for that time of night, that means you wait an average of 10 minutes for the train.

Yep, a lot of people have to be to work at 5AM, they might leave as early as 4.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:07 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right--if the (unlikely) weekday overnight shutdown were to be implemented, it would be awful were they to implement as the replacement shuttles are implemented now. However, if implemented with a variety of features that have been adopted in other parts of the world, it can actually end up saving a lot of people more time than the subway does AND lower costs of operations/time to put the subway in good repair.

Wouldn't they need like 5 buses for every train? And many of the routes, like the L, are really inefficient as bus service.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM

881 posts, read 615,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I just don't believe shutting everything down would actually get everything done in the time it needed to be.
I don't think "everything," either -- but it seems indisputable that a great majority (75%??) would be.

Again, I certainly sympathize and am fine with the status quo, which I would be will hold -- but it just does seem logical to give the system a sort of proper night's (or decade's) "rest"....

Quote:
I was shocked when my station was closed, renovated and reopened when they projected it to be.
Indeed, they seem much better now about these things; I noticed that the F in South Brooklyn was done on-time.

Quote:
From the NY Post article I read today: "There are some 75,000 subway delays each month, up 237% since 2012." I really hope that is including the repair crap.
LOL, but it wouldn't make sense to count repair-related delays since, in a sense, those wouldn't be "delays" as such but surely factored in already into the schedule...?

Old 12-03-2017, 12:52 PM

881 posts, read 615,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
The percentage of people taking the subway during overnight weekday hours is pretty small. It’s 1.5% of weekday riders or roughly 85,000 people.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/3...t-service.html

I sympathize with people who would be affected but given the decades of underinvestment and the current state of the subways, there does need to be significant changes. What would you guys suggest instead?
I guess they're quite used to their schedules as-is and don't think the possible "general good" outweighs the guaranteed "individual bads"...logically the needs of 85K should not outweigh those of millions but myself I'd defer to the minority on this since I've already factored in sick passengers and train traffic into my personal timetables....

Old 12-03-2017, 02:16 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Wouldn't they need like 5 buses for every train? And many of the routes, like the L, are really inefficient as bus service.
There will need to be higher frequencies than the train, but during the Monday-Thursday late night 1 am to 5 pm slot, there are fewer riders. They'd probably need greater frequency than the trains they're replacing, but probably not 5 times the frequency.

It's true that some of the routes are less amenable to this than others, but it can still work as well or better if all those things (tap fare or pre-cleared fare, all-door boarding, signal priority on lights, limited stops that mimic the subway stop spacing) were combined with the much lighter traffic that exists during those hours and higher frequencies than the train it'd be replacing.

The L train runs every twenty minutes at those times. A replacement bus with all those features mentioned, but coming at twice to three times that frequency will probably be a more than adequate for the capacity needed.

The routes also don't have to exactly mimic the lines and there can be more routes than just what lines exist. They can also run "express" routes. It's what London does.

They didn't mete out the details for this fully, but if it comes as actually better overall service than what happens late night on weekdays, saves money for the system, and accelerates fixing and promotes maintaining a fixed system, then I'm all for it. It's a tall order, but it's not impossible.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-03-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City