Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:37 AM

15,893 posts, read 14,589,612 times

Advertisements

... how many people are saying s crew this, I'm moving to Florida"? I'm thinking a good % of NY residents right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 11:46 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,314,839 times
I don't like Florida. But I have started entertaining the thought of moving out of NYC proper to some close by suburb. Just in city and property taxes we have paid $20k. Not counting state taxes (because most states still assess state taxes. Moving wouldn't absolve that responsibilty.

I am actually contemplating New Jersey. The property taxes aren't as high as long island and the houses are more architecturally pleasing.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,832,857 times
How are you getting screwed, have you even done your taxes? I made a lot more this year and next year even running through the calc I am getting $1200 back with NJ/NYC and property taxes all. Even people richer than me will ge a tax break and if you make more than me you shouldn't even worry about paying a little extra.

I think most people will be in for a surprise that the media delivered the next biggest fake news since saying Hillary will win POTUS.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:48 AM

Moving out of state will result in an approximate $15k decrease in salary though. I have to way the pros and cons. Plus we love living in NYC.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How are you getting screwed, have you even done your taxes? I made a lot more this year and next year even running through the calc I am getting $1200 back with NJ/NYC and property taxes all. Even people richer than me will ge a tax break and if you make more than me you shouldn't even worry about paying a little extra.

I think most people will be in for a surprise that the media delivered the next biggest fake news since saying Hillary will win POTUS.
Prior you could deduct your state, local and property taxes on your federal return. Now the deduction is capped for a combined total of $10k. This $10k covers state taxes, local taxes and property taxes.

We are already at $20k in city/local and property taxes. I haven't even looked at how much we paid in state. We can only deduct a maximum of $10k. City taxes are only assessed in the boroughs. Moving outside of the boroughs would eliminate these taxes.

So we have about $25k to $30k in deductions that we can no longer get.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:59 AM

20,548 posts, read 17,832,857 times
I am betting that real estate market will drop next year because of the hysteria but after people see the real tax cuts in 2019 the markets are gonna explode here and in CA because people will have more $$

Anybody making $300k below will see a tax cut regardless. Your stock gains are gonna be taxed less and small businesses will see even bigger tax cut.

It's called a Tax cut bill not a tax hike bill.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:03 PM

954 posts, read 946,018 times
Quote:
I am betting that real estate market will drop next year because of the hysteria but after people see the real tax cuts in 2019 the markets are gonna explode here and in CA because people will have more $$

Anybody making $300k below will see a tax cut regardless. Your stock gains are gonna be taxed less and small businesses will see even bigger tax cut.

It's called a Tax cut bill not a tax hike bill.
Yeah don’t even bother responding to LOVEROFNY, it’s much easier just to ignore facts.

The fake news thing again? How’s trumps audit coming along? Gonna release those taxes anytime soon? What about the comey tapes or the obama wire tapping?

Your boy is the inventor of fake news.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:

I am a person not a corporation or an unlimited source of funding.

There are many cities and states who run quite efficiently on way less. I am also an immigrant who attended school and lived in a third world country with 30% of the resources that is available here. My family and friends have excelled despite this fact. There is a way to efficiently run a large city without such wanton waste which is funded by exorbitant taxes.

I am friends and family with many teachers and education administrators. Also know New York state employees. The waste is mind boggling. When the employees attempt to make suggestions or act as whistle blowers they are rebuffed.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:08 PM

25,706 posts, read 17,477,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Yeah don’t even bother responding to LOVEROFNY, it’s much easier just to ignore facts.

The fake news thing again? How’s trumps audit coming along? Gonna release those taxes anytime soon? What about the comey tapes or the obama taping?

You couldn't possibly make sense of Trump's taxes. He knows that; I know that; you know that.

You just wanted a source of information to use against him. Wisely, he never gave it to you. Wisely, we Republicans don't care.

Say, didja see the news where his tax bill means tax cuts to nearly everyone?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post

The fake news thing again? How’s trumps audit coming along? Gonna release those taxes anytime soon? What about the comey tapes or the obama taping?

I am speaking about my reality. I don't have kids to add as dependents and we are a high income household. If tax deductions are capped at a lower rate than what I actually pay how is that benefiting me?

Fact is NYC collects alot of city taxes.
We own property so we pay property taxes.
We pay state taxes.
We don't have dependents.

Increasing the dependent deduction is not beneficial to us because we don't have kids. Reducing our ability to deduct state, city and property taxes increases our tax liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City