Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 03:41 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Real weed smokers don't care what the government has to say.

We DO when it hits our bottom line. That is all. Screw overpriced government weed.
Umm, so keep it illegal so it's affordable then?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 04:07 PM

37,120 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
tax the hell out of it!

NO!

Then it becomes prohibitively expensive. F that!
Right, it'd have to be a reasonable tax and regulation over the industry. The black market may not have an official tax on its goods, but because of the potential penalties and inherent risk, there's essentially an additional cost that gets added anyways. That gets eliminated here and then legalization also allows for the potential of getting greater economies of scale, so the taxes will likely have to be ridiculously high in order for the black market to really have a significant market share. The good thing is that this isn't much of a hypothetical here since we've had several large real world tests of how this works for years now.

It's just too bad New York state wasn't among the first, because that initial bump means having a huge advantage in the industry especially as the population of the state is quite large as are the visitor numbers so that would have been a good driver for scaling early on.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-06-2018 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 04:16 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Okay, sure, buddy.
I know I'm sure. You aren't for legal marijuana. You're for government controlled marijuana. Big difference. I'm all for legalization, but not at the expense of it being controlled by the state. Buddy.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I know I'm sure. You aren't for legal marijuana. You're for government controlled marijuana. Big difference. I'm all for legalization, but not at the expense of it being controlled by the state. Buddy.
Lol!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Sure it will. Portugal decriminalized all drugs. So no one goes to jail in Portugal unless they are a major trafficker.
Nobody goes to prison in NYS for pot. Unless you are distributing many a pounds of it. Right now all our local government does is collect fines from its public use. That will be lost, if it hasn't already, which is fine by me.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Lol!
Not sure what's so funny, buddy. Legalize it properly. Give it to the people to decide. Not some whack westcoast attempt. Thats soft. I see no difference between paying the government vs feeding the black market. Might as well let it stay illegal like in Amsterdam.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:39 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Yep, I see no reason why marijuana should be taxed at some ridiculous rate. It should only be subject to sales tax.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:42 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Man that’s some tweet. The mayor is literally stating that minorities love drugs too much for them to be illegal. I’m floored.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yep, I see no reason why marijuana should be taxed at some ridiculous rate. It should only be subject to sales tax.
I think maybe also something similar to cigarette or alcohol tax which are already in place seems fine, too. Nothing exorbitantly above any kind of vice tax that we have and then some regulations and checks in place for use under certain conditions. I think that probably makes sense.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I think maybe also something similar to cigarette or alcohol tax which are already in place seems fine, too. Nothing exorbitantly above any kind of vice tax that we have and then some regulations and checks in place for use under certain conditions. I think that probably makes sense.
F that. Government keep your paws off my pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City