Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times

Advertisements

[quote=mathjak107;50685045]if i thought about political leanings for even a minute , i would have wasted 1 valuable minute of time in my life .[/QUOE]

I understand that it's not going to affect where you live. But I've heard you go on about gun rights. It seemed to matter to you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:15 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Eh she wants to live somewhere not so pc. She used to live on the upper east side anyway.
Why not Staten Island then on the South Shore? Additionally, there's always Edgewater in the Bronx. I personally wouldn't do it, but I hear they're pretty conservative. Neighorhood looks like a dump despite it being by the water and being co-ops. They can keep it.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why not Staten Island then on the South Shore? Additionally, there's always Edgewater in the Bronx. I personally wouldn't do it, but I hear they're pretty conservative. Neighorhood looks like a dump despite it being by the water and being co-ops. They can keep it.
No and no but thanks for taking an interest lol. She seems to want to live with people of her $$$ that are conservative and open about it. Anyway, she thinka she pays too much taxes because of public workers. I don't think she'd want to live around a lot of them.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:27 AM

Well I'm pretty liberal and I don't want to live in a neighborhood that leans conservative. I obviously have some conservative friends and that's enough for me.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Sure but in that case, it was a lot of talk about what's wrong with poor people or minorities and how to get them civilized and to accept more personal resoonsibility...She sees a lot of her potential neighbors as takers-I'm not sayingthat's correct but it's obviously her view. Even if she keeps her views to herself (which I was doubting that she could) how can she be happy in that environment?
"She" would be me, I assume :-). I don't see a typical Parkchesterite as a taker at all, just the opposite (which is why I bought in that neighborhood, which is not affluent but has solid goals). While the takers have been largely replaced with a solid population (ie, civilized poor and minorities), there have still been minor remnants of criminal element in the area, which is the only thing to which I object. That, and the fact that many low-income high-education people (either young ones or retired ones) may not know about this neighborhood, although I think it would suit them perfectly.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
"She" would be me, I assume :-). I don't see a typical Parkchesterite as a taker at all, just the opposite (which is why I bought in that neighborhood, which is not affluent but has solid goals). While the takers have been largely replaced with a solid population (ie, civilized poor and minorities), there have still been minor remnants of criminal element in the area, which is the only thing to which I object. That, and the fact that many low-income high-education people (either young ones or retired ones) may not know about this neighborhood, although I think it would suit them perfectly.
Hi elnrgby. Fair enough. I hope it works out for you. I don't know maybe it's the language - civilized. It pricks my ears up. I think you mean it as a complement, but I'm sure it wouldn't be taken that way.

I'm in Bedford Park since 2004, and couldn't help noticing that of all the people I've met over the years of higher than average income and education (compared to the rest of the neighborhood) have seemed to be very liberal. I'm sure there's people who aren't, but overall, that has been my experience. Not that there aren't conservatives in the Bronx, but they tend to concentrate in other neighborhoods. I don't think itit's a conscious decision, but that tends to be what happens.

Last edited by yodel; 01-13-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 08:49 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
No and no but thanks for taking an interest lol. She seems to want to live with people of her $$$ that are conservative and open about it. Anyway, she thinka she pays too much taxes because of public workers. I don't think she'd want to live around a lot of them.
Todt Hill then... Very expensive... Doctors, lawyers and other high income, white collar professionals, not public workers. Being that most of Staten Island is conservative, Todt Hill certainly leans that way. Another option is parts of Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights. Both areas have high income parts (for Bay Ridge it's west of Third Avenue either along Shore Road or just east of it, from around the mid 70s down until around 86th Street). Beautiful homes that go into the millions, with plenty of white collar, conservative types. For Dyker Heights, the areas generally north of the golf course and where you see all of the Xmas lights is where the most expensive houses are... Still some conservatives there.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Todt Hill then... Very expensive... Doctors, lawyers and other high income, white collar professionals, not public workers. Being that most of Staten Island is conservative, Todt Hill certainly leans that way. Another option is parts of Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights. Both areas have high income parts (for Bay Ridge it's west of Third Avenue either along Shore Road or just east of it, from around the mid 70s down until around 86th Street). Beautiful homes that go into the millions, with plenty of white collar, conservative types. For Dyker Heights, the areas generally north of the golf course and where you see all of the Xmas lights is where the most expensive houses are... Still some conservatives there.
I doubt she'd be interested in Staten Island at all, but maybe Bay Ridge. I'll mention all those next time I talk to her.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:48 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Hi elnrgby. Fair enough. I hope it works out for you. I don't know maybe it's the language - civilized. It pricks my ears up. I think you mean it as a complement, but I'm sure it wouldn't be taken that way.

I'm in Bedford Park since 2004, and couldn't help noticing that of all the people I've met over the years of higher than average income and education (compared to the rest of the neighborhood) have seemed to be very liberal. I'm sure there's people who aren't, but overall, that has been my experience. Not that there aren't conservatives in the Bronx, but they tend to concentrate in other neighborhoods. I don't think itit's a conscious decision, but that tends to be what happens.
Hi Yodel. Civilized is complimentary, yes. No matter what level of income or race/ethnicity, anyone can be civilized, by personal decision. Since its beginning, Parkchester was intended for people to live a civilized life while on limited income. The passage I cited, from the French architect Le Corbusier, who conceived of good quality urban landscapes to create civilized living for lower-income people, was all about that.

Highly educated people in hard-working, result-oriented professions do NOT tend to be liberal. You'd have difficulty finding a surgeon or an upper-level engineer who is fiscally liberal - basically, highly educated people who actually do, and constantly live with, things that have serious consequences, they are generally not fiscally liberal, hardly ever (the level of social liberality varies. I personally am a right-libertarian - look it up if you're not familiar with the concept). Incidentally, I also don't think that political orientation of the neighbors matters - but it does matter that one's neighbors do not bother or harm other people around them.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Hi Yodel. Civilized is complimentary, yes. No matter what level of income or race/ethnicity, anyone can be civilized, by personal decision. Since its beginning, Parkchester was intended for people to live a civilized life while on limited income. The passage I cited, from the French architect Le Corbusier, who conceived of good quality urban landscapes to create civilized living for lower-income people, was all about that.

Highly educated people in hard-working, result-oriented professions do NOT tend to be liberal. You'd have difficulty finding a surgeon or an upper-level engineer who is fiscally liberal - basically, highly educated people who actually do, and constantly live with, things that have serious consequences, they are generally not fiscally liberal, hardly ever (the level of social liberality varies. I personally am a right-libertarian - look it up if you're not familiar with the concept). Incidentally, I also don't think that political orientation of the neighbors matters - but it does matter that one's neighbors do not bother or harm other people around them.
Ok but again I'd bet that the overwhelming majority of your Parkchester neighbors will interpret "civilized" as an insult (meaning people like you normally aren't). It's like "well spoken" but exponentially worse.

Do you have any statistics about educational attainment and political orientation relating to NYC? The highest income areas tend to be some of the most liberal in New York. In the Bronx anyway, the more conservative areas were historically white working class/middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City