Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
You don't have to talk about politics to talk about politics, meaning that someone's ideology permeates many discussions and someone may not need to ask you about your political beliefs to have an idea what they are. I guess her beliefs are often apparent to people she interacts with, or theirs are apparent to her (and neither are well received). And I guess it's the same with her kids. And she thinks the school has a strong liberal bias not only in social studies (which starts at 11 or 12), but also in the books her kids have been assigned in English or ELA. You don't have kids yet if I remember correctly, but most take on the views of their parents pretty early.
That's very true, current events often revolve around politics. And I wonder what liberal bias in the cirriculum your friend is referring to, is she upset about the Confederacy not being portrayed in a positive light?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Wawa and l1995, I didn't start the thread specifically because of my friend, who lives in the borough of Westchester. FYI it's nothing about history or the confederacy that bothers her, more present-day issues. Like one book she objected to was about a transgender teen and his or her struggles. My friend basically thinks it's all a personal choice and doesn't even want her kids exposed to the discussion. In social studies it's very easy to show an ideological bent but I don't know specifically what her objections are.

My kids had a very right-wing social studies teacher in middle school here in the Bronx. Neither are in middle school anymore and at the moment I can't think of an example of the discussions that would illustrate this. He didn't talk about politics per se, but his politics were obvious. I didn't really care (but in all honesty I did a little bit). I thought he should be more neutral, but I didn't complain to anyone about it. My kids really liked him as a teacher and they both went to school in a more conservative-leaning neighborhood. Otherwise I don't think the parents would have been on board with him.

As I said in the first post, I started the thread specifically after reading the Parkchester posts. It seemed so unusual that an Ayn Rand adherent would even buy in a neighborhood like Parkchester. Maybe I've lived here too long to have been focusing on the political (or ideological) aspect, but it kept coming up in the thread in one way or another.

Last edited by yodel; 01-12-2018 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 10:43 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Wawa and l1995, I didn't start the thread specifically because of my friend, who lives in the borough of Westchester. FYI it's nothing about history or the confederacy that bothers her, more present-day issues. Like one book she objected to was about a transgender teen and his or her struggles. My friend basically thinks it's all a personal choice and doesn't even want her kids exposed to the discussion. In social studies it's very easy to show an ideological bent but I don't know specifically what her objections are.

My kids had a very right-wing social studies teacher in middle school here in the Bronx. Neither are in middle school anymore and at the moment I can't think of an example of the discussions that would illustrate this. He didn't talk about politics per se, but his politics were obvious. I didn't really care (but in all honesty I did a little bit). I thought he should be more neutral, but I didn't complain to anyone about it. My kids really liked him as a teacher and they both went to school in a more conservative-leaning neighborhood. Otherwise I don't think the parents would have been on board with him.

As I said in the first post, I started the thread specifically after reading the Parkchester posts. It seemed so unusual that an Ayn Rand adherent would even buy in a neighborhood like Parkchester. Maybe I've lived here too long to have been focusing on the political (or ideological) aspect, but it kept coming up in the thread in one way or another.
Well it's possible to like Ayn Rand and not be conservative on social issues

Old 01-13-2018, 04:22 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's very true, current events often revolve around politics. And I wonder what liberal bias in the cirriculum your friend is referring to, is she upset about the Confederacy not being portrayed in a positive light?
The only belief the Confederacy would have shared with conservatives would be on state rights. Slavery is certainly not a conservative value. You are so confused.

If a 14 year old spoke of individualism in school the Communist leaders would throw them in detention.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:37 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
if i thought about political leanings for even a minute , i would have wasted 1 valuable minute of time in my life .

Old 01-13-2018, 04:43 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if i thought about political leanings for even a minute , i would have wasted 1 valuable minute of time in my life .
You don't consider geopolitical risk in your investment portfolios?

Old 01-13-2018, 04:52 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:

Westchester? Since when it is a "borough"? The Upper East Side would work quite well for your friend, not unless she's über liberal. The UES is semi-liberal, but at the same time, upright and conservative.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Westchester? Since when it is a "borough"? The Upper East Side would work quite well for your friend, not unless she's über liberal. The UES is semi-liberal, but at the same time, upright and conservative.
Eh she wants to live somewhere not so pc. She used to live on the upper east side anyway.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well it's possible to like Ayn Rand and not be conservative on social issues
Sure but in that case, it was a lot of talk about what's wrong with poor people or minorities and how to get them civilized and to accept more personal resoonsibility...She sees a lot of her potential neighbors as takers-I'm not sayingthat's correct but it's obviously her view. Even if she keeps her views to herself (which I was doubting that she could) how can she be happy in that environment?

Last edited by yodel; 01-13-2018 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You don't consider geopolitical risk in your investment portfolios?
not really , i can't evaluate that myself very well , i am not smart enough . i leave that to the fund managers that specialize in those areas ..

many many years ago i subscribed to the mis-informed saying " never invest where you wouldn't vacation " . i missed the lucrative run up in emerging markets in my early years and learned a valuable lesson .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City