Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2018, 03:08 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Queens is large, and has always had nice neighborhoods. I have a sister who used to live in Forest Hills. That was nice.

But none of those neighborhoods are near this area. This was junkyards, taxi garages, some city facilities, and hookers. The fact that it was so fallow is why there's been so much high rise development nearby. Developers could get land relatively cheap.
And there were a lot of abandoned warehouses and factories. As for people living there, there was the Queensbridge projects. You're right this is a major improvement. I lived in Jackson Heights, were I was born and I remember the old, decayed, post industrial LIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
You have a strange and dysfunctional definition of rape. This project will be a huge benefit to the city. It's taking an underutilized piece of land, and generating a huge amount of economic growth.

I remember when Queens was a post industrial wasteland. Not far from where this project is going was hooked central. This is a huge improvement.
Yes. And speeding up the development of Queens.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:33 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,229,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are you purposefully doing this? No, that is not how all bidding works. What you’re talking about is one of many systems and it’s not clear how you came to believe that’s how this process works. No one is saying that didn’t happen, but there is no evidence to point to that it’s true in this case. You’ve left this at basically saying something you don’t actually know but are comfortable just spouting at random regardless of whether or not you can show it to be true. You call that an explanation? You’ve essentially just made **** up and then pointed at yourself for proof.
You seem to be pretty worked up over this. You want evidence this and evidence that. How about you provide evidence to the contrary? Otherwise, you are just as full of it.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
NYC has two major universities and a number of smaller collerges. As I think I said before, this project is yards from the Cornell tech campus (as the crow flies. There's a river in the way.) I bet that was a big factor.

BTW,, in the hoopla over Amazon, did anyone notice that Google announced a major expansion downtown. They're putting 8,000 people into the St. John's Terminal redevelopment project. Tech I NYC is really starting to reach critical mass.
Is Cornell Tech up and running yet?

Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Is Cornell Tech up and running yet?
Yes.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Curious, but would it be a good idea for the state to consider high speed rail to other parts of the state to help eleviate any housing stress that will occur with the location of Amazon to the city or would this just shift the “stress” in terms of infrastructure for such a project?

Old 11-14-2018, 09:57 AM

^ More transportation connectivity is always good thing. Problem is New York (both city and state) don't know how to build rail efficiently and cost effectively anymore. Everything is crazy expensive and take forever.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:00 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,487,406 times
That money would be better spent replacing the signal system on the subways, so that their capacity could be increased. That would be a bigger and much fast help (if the MTA could get it's head out of its a$$.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Curious, but would it be a good idea for the state to consider high speed rail to other parts of the state to help eleviate any housing stress that will occur with the location of Amazon to the city or would this just shift the “stress” in terms of infrastructure for such a project?

Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Their has been talk of high speed rail between Boston and DC which stops in nyc and Philly. Boswash high-speed rail will come in handy for the northeast region. Sadly America is way behind high-speed rail. Even in California high-speed rail project can't get off the ground.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:02 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Access to a skilled labor pool with experience in different domains. In Seattle, they were siphoning tech talent from Microsoft. In NYC, they can dip into a much more versatile labor pool. You not only have a lot of tech talent, but you have finance, marketing, media, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
They've pretty much drained the talent pool/expanded or whatever all they can in Seattle and California. For all that success Amazon is being dogged by SJW/liberal democrat politicians and others in both those states about "inequality" and so forth on many levels, social, income.....

It also makes sense from a business point of view not to put all one's eggs into one basket.

Spreading things around allows Amazon (or any other large corporation) to get local politicians to line up and kiss the ring. Just look how many governors and other local politicians were getting on their knees to Jeff Bezos in hopes of wooing Amazon to their area.
A lot of IT is already done overseas. Their AP is done overseas, Item set-up is automated and any questions are answered overseas via Vendor Central, their ordering system is either done via vendor central or orders are transmitted via an EDI850.

I doubt that they need such a big space or that they will hire 25K in people. The site runs pretty smoothly with the current staff. I can see them in 10 years having to downsize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City