Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 10:11 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You both hand wave the technical side as it doesn't require any form of education and learning curve. There is no free lunch, you spend countless free hours learning and self teaching yourself the information needed to get a high paying job. In addition, there is multiple rounds of rigorous technical interviews to land a job.
No what we are doing is correcting a misconception about the types of roles and and experience are required to fill them. I’m very familiar with the industry becase I work in it. First at a digital ad agency (doing SEM/SEO) then at a digital research and analytics company (doing sales development and account management) then at a tag management company (doing new business development), then at a data management platform (doing new business development) and now back to another digital research and analytics company (doing client management and account development). Along the way I’ve interviewed at many well known companies like LinkedIn, Salesforce, and MSN. Yes, you have rounds of interviews, usually 3-5 and will often be flown out to the HQ, if not in nyc, for any final round interviews as I was for 2 roles (and I wasn’t even offered those jobs!)

My point is that though I’m educated with a degree, my educational background is not in IT technology. However my experience in the industry is what counts and the industry is much wider than just working at Facebook or Google or coding an app or website. That’s what I’m aiming to explain. Any of my former colleagues and clients have the appropriate background to work for Amazon- and none of them are on the “technical side”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 12:34 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
You both hand wave the technical side as it doesn't require any form of education and learning curve. There is no free lunch, you spend countless free hours learning and self teaching yourself the information needed to get a high paying job. In addition, there is multiple rounds of rigorous technical interviews to land a job.
I'm am merely pointing out that not all jobs are coding jobs. And then I pointed out the type of jobs that aren't really IT degree jobs. Sure you can go to school for this stuff, but in my experience, it doesn't make them better at their jobs. Most of the developers I work with are Drupal developers, and some WordPress. None of them went to school for that.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:38 PM

766 posts, read 508,024 times
Only broke people are upset about this

It’s hilarious all the outrage

Old 11-13-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No what we are doing is correcting a misconception about the types of roles and and experience are required to fill them. I’m very familiar with the industry becase I work in it. First at a digital ad agency (doing SEM/SEO) then at a digital research and analytics company (doing sales development and account management) then at a tag management company (doing new business development), then at a data management platform (doing new business development) and now back to another digital research and analytics company (doing client management and account development). Along the way I’ve interviewed at many well known companies like LinkedIn, Salesforce, and MSN. Yes, you have rounds of interviews, usually 3-5 and will often be flown out to the HQ, if not in nyc, for any final round interviews as I was for 2 roles (and I wasn’t even offered those jobs!)

My point is that though I’m educated with a degree, my educational background is not in IT technology. However my experience in the industry is what counts and the industry is much wider than just working at Facebook or Google or coding an app or website. That’s what I’m aiming to explain. Any of my former colleagues and clients have the appropriate background to work for Amazon- and none of them are on the “technical side”.
Yup! I tried to explain the same. Another thing that is underestimated is troubleshooting ability. People can ace technical interviews and even code well, but they can't think. So they make terrible design, gui, interface decisions because they don't have that real world sense. One has trouble QAing their own stuff because they don't see the inherient flaws on what they built. But my biggest pet peeve, is the lack of ability to troubleshoot. I think, across the board, what makes a good techie is the ability to do that. So many people don't have the first idea how to go about how to fix something when something goes wrong. A lot of that is seasoning over time and lots of experience.

The crux of the critique about "hand-waving" is a total lack of understanding how big the tech world is. It's not just programmers, db administrators and network administrators. There are 500 other titles within the world, with different levels of formal techie backgrounds.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:53 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Yup! I tried to explain the same. Another thing that is underestimated is troubleshooting ability. People can ace technical interviews and even code well, but they can't think. So they make terrible design, gui, interface decisions because they don't have that real world sense. One has trouble QAing their own stuff because they don't see the inherient flaws on what they built. But my biggest pet peeve, is the lack of ability to troubleshoot. I think, across the board, what makes a good techie is the ability to do that. So many people don't have the first idea how to go about how to fix something when something goes wrong. A lot of that is seasoning over time and lots of experience.

The crux of the critique about "hand-waving" is a total lack of understanding how big the tech world is. It's not just programmers, db administrators and network administrators. There are 500 other titles within the world, with different levels of formal techie backgrounds.
As a technical writer tasked with creating Help systems for users to navigate these programs, AMEN!!

Old 11-13-2018, 01:20 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
What will Amazon HQ2 in Long Island City mean for the local transit system?

https://qns.com/story/2018/11/13/wil...ransit-system/

Amazon HQ2 news leaves some Queens power brokers split on benefits & drawbacks

https://qns.com/story/2018/11/13/ama...its-drawbacks/

Old 11-13-2018, 02:02 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Oh ****... Ocasio on the rampage...

The HQ would have been better in Newark.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tax-break.html

Last edited by Mr. Ryu; 11-13-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 02:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 983,740 times
Why does this idiot get elected and claim she represents Queens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Oh ****... Ocasio on rampage...

Old 11-13-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
As a technical writer tasked with creating Help systems for users to navigate these programs, AMEN!!
HAHA. I wrote GUI and realized how small that audience is. LOL.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:35 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Oh ****... Ocasio on the rampage...

According to USA today. Newark lacks creative talent pool. Also Newark population lacks 4 year college degree which is lower than the National average. I think Newark would have been a good pick. As for crystal city Virginia. I visit there two years ago. The area is very yuppie and full of transplants from all over America. Apartments there are decently priced. The airport is down the street, and the city has three subway stops with the DC metro. The area also is very suburban too. I remember a spot that had a nice topless bar.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 11-13-2018 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City