Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM

34 posts, read 80,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauree27 View Post
What exactly are the interviews like? How long are they? Is it a panel interview?
My interview was this morning and yes, there was a panel. I was interviewed by 5 Chief Clerks of the 8th District and there was 1 administrator/moderator who kept things focused and moving smoothly. Each Chief introduced themself, told me about their court and the position they were there to fill.

Each person, including the moderator, asked me 1 question. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary, but ranged from tasks done at my current job, why I left a different position, what's my greatest strength/weakness to why I would take a pay cut to work for the court system.

The interview lasted just under 30 minutes; at the end the Moderator told me of their hiring time frame, informed me about the 'Rule of Three', instructed that this is a 'YOUNG' list and told me that one of the Chiefs would contact me personally or I'd receive a letter stating that I was still on the list for the next position availability. One of the Chiefs added that they liked me very much, which put a huge smile on my face!

I will tell you that it's a good idea to have prepared answers and be ready to tell WHY they should hire you over the multitude of other applicants. Also, don't be stiff or nervous and crack a few jokes about yourself and previous positions if you can do it comfortably. Personally, I practiced/drilled for this interview many times and as the moderator walked me out; she stated that it showed and was appreciated.

Finally, the person/applicant that went in before me was done in less than 15 minutes; so talk don't just answer their questions and sit there. They already know from your score that you can do the job and they now are trying to find someone that's going to fit well in their court.

Hope this helps and good luck to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 AM

13 posts, read 26,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaJess23 View Post
Have there been any new canvassing letters out there? Any interviews, any good New Year cheer to spread?
Nothing yet......Still waiting in the 4th district......Hopefully soon now that the holidays are over. Good luck to everyone that has an interview!

Old 01-09-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileigh007 View Post
My interview was this morning and yes, there was a panel. I was interviewed by 5 Chief Clerks of the 8th District and there was 1 administrator/moderator who kept things focused and moving smoothly. Each Chief introduced themself, told me about their court and the position they were there to fill.

Each person, including the moderator, asked me 1 question. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary, but ranged from tasks done at my current job, why I left a different position, what's my greatest strength/weakness to why I would take a pay cut to work for the court system.

The interview lasted just under 30 minutes; at the end the Moderator told me of their hiring time frame, informed me about the 'Rule of Three', instructed that this is a 'YOUNG' list and told me that one of the Chiefs would contact me personally or I'd receive a letter stating that I was still on the list for the next position availability. One of the Chiefs added that they liked me very much, which put a huge smile on my face!

I will tell you that it's a good idea to have prepared answers and be ready to tell WHY they should hire you over the multitude of other applicants. Also, don't be stiff or nervous and crack a few jokes about yourself and previous positions if you can do it comfortably. Personally, I practiced/drilled for this interview many times and as the moderator walked me out; she stated that it showed and was appreciated.

Finally, the person/applicant that went in before me was done in less than 15 minutes; so talk don't just answer their questions and sit there. They already know from your score that you can do the job and they now are trying to find someone that's going to fit well in their court.

That is awesome and thank you for the information on the interview style. It can be nerve racking when you walk in and see a panel of people if not expected. Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2019, 06:41 AM

114 posts, read 313,416 times
Good luck!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:33 AM

49 posts, read 96,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phileigh007 View Post

instructed that this is a 'YOUNG' list-- what does this mean??? Good luck!!!

Old 01-09-2019, 02:53 PM

65 posts, read 122,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymgirl1981 View Post
instructed that this is a 'YOUNG' list-- what does this mean??? Good luck!!!
Young as in the time it has been published.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:30 AM

327 posts, read 456,309 times
Any movement on the list downstate? I scored 91.5, and my list number is 29x, so just under 300.

I'm not really mobile due to family circumstances so I've limited my availability to Long Island and NYC.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM

22 posts, read 53,128 times
So excited to finally share this info...I got hired! I will start working in the 6th JD in a couple of weeks. For those that will ask, my interview process was very similar to what phileigh007 described. Good luck everyone!

Old 01-10-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhern View Post
Canvassing letter for 6th JD delivered today.
Quote:
So excited to finally share this info...I got hired! I will start working in the 6th JD in a couple of weeks. For those that will ask, my interview process was very similar to what phileigh007 described. Good luck everyone!
Congratulations, that is awesome news!! Very exciting!! Thank you for interview style info! Much appreciated! Good luck to everyone!

Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 AM

114 posts, read 313,416 times
Quote:
Wonderful news. Congratulations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City