Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 PM

114 posts, read 313,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
@phileigh007,

thanks for the payroll tip.

So does that mean your first check is for a full month's pay? But you have to wait a month to receive that first check?
No. It'll be for the two week pay period that you start (70 hours)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 09:46 AM

38 posts, read 83,061 times
Quote:
@phileigh007,

thanks for the payroll tip.

So does that mean your first check is for a full month's pay? But you have to wait a month to receive that first check?
When you start the job you will have to wait a month to get your first check and it will be for two weeks worth of wages (1 pay period). Thee will always be a 1 pay period lag throughout your career in the courts.

So in phileigh’s case for example, he/she started on Feb 7 and will get her/his first check on March 6. That check will include wages for the pay weeks of 2/7 - 2/13 and 2/14 - 2/20 (a pay week is Thurs-Weds, 2 pay weeks = 1 pay period).

Congrats to you Phileigh007 and welcome! Glad you’re enjoying the job. Definitely take the upcoming clerk exam, you have nothing to lose and will get to see what kind of test questions are used for these exams. They are often the same questions but presented in different ways from test to test even as you promote through the different titles.

And yes Court Assistants are referred to as “clerks” in almost all JD’s north of the 9th because those courts are smaller (in terms of population served) and thus CA’s do a lot of the work a Court Clerk or Senior Court Ckerk would do downstate. The upper JD’s have to do “more with less”; for example a Chief Clerk up there is most likely a line 21 whereas in NYC a line 21 is a Senior Court Ckerk and a Chief Clerk is a line 32.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:15 AM

327 posts, read 456,509 times
@NYCourtGuy, thanks for the explanation.

I'm thinking the current state budget shortfall and annual budget negotiations may prevent any hiring for the next few months. Not affecting the current searches/interviews, necessarily, but in terms of new positions.

I haven't personally been canvassed, but I've limited my geographic reach to Long Island and NYC.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
@NYCourtGuy, thanks for the explanation.

I'm thinking the current state budget shortfall and annual budget negotiations may prevent any hiring for the next few months. Not affecting the current searches/interviews, necessarily, but in terms of new positions.

I haven't personally been canvassed, but I've limited my geographic reach to Long Island and NYC.
I’m really surprised at how slow the Court Assistant list is moving. I know someone on the list in the 150’s that has been on 1 interview and replied to 3 other canvass letters but keeps getting the “sorry, you’re unreachable” letter. I’m hearing and actually seeing a lot of movement in the system: 8 Court Assistants were made Senior Court Clerks from family court a few months ago, 10 new Senior Court Clerks are getting ready to be made out in Suffolk, I and my co-worker just got made as 23’s and another list for 23’s is getting ready to come out in March. So there is a ton of movement within the system already but it doesn’t correlate to that Court Assitant list for some reason.

It could be that the people currently getting promoted to Court Clerk and Senior Court Clerk are NOT Court Assistants. They could be court officers, court aides, court office assistants, interpreters, etc.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:38 PM

327 posts, read 456,509 times
@NYCourtGuy, well at least there is some movement and promotions.
I'm just frustrated because I'm eager to get on the job and I did much better on the exam than I did during the prior test administration.

I'm tempted to open up my availability but I want to be realistic about the daily commute I could make from my home in central Nassau County. I would definitely drive to any courthouse in Nassau or Suffolk or take the train to any courthouse in Queens, Brooklyn or Manhattan. I could drive to White Plains but not Staten Island or Rockland County, I don't think.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:01 PM

65 posts, read 122,095 times
Now on the pay schedule if you are promoted do you get the salary based on the years you have worked already or do you begin from the lowest pay rate for that grade?

Old 02-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
@NYCourtGuy, well at least there is some movement and promotions.
I'm just frustrated because I'm eager to get on the job and I did much better on the exam than I did during the prior test administration.

I'm tempted to open up my availability but I want to be realistic about the daily commute I could make from my home in central Nassau County. I would definitely drive to any courthouse in Nassau or Suffolk or take the train to any courthouse in Queens, Brooklyn or Manhattan. I could drive to White Plains but not Staten Island or Rockland County, I don't think.
Wherever you decide to work just make sure you’re on time. Time and leave issues as a new hire can get your probation extended (which I have seen) or possibly terminated (which I haven’t seen yet). People have also been passed over for promotions due to poor attendance and lateness but there’s usually another factor involved like poor attitude or poor performance evaluations.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwetoddit View Post
Now on the pay schedule if you are promoted do you get the salary based on the years you have worked already or do you begin from the lowest pay rate for that grade?
If the line you get promoted to has a starting salary that is less than what you are currently earning then OCA takes your current salary and adds on the increment for the line that you are promoted to. That is what your new salary will be so you may actually end up between two years on that salary chart.

Example 1: You’re a line 21 with 4 years in title earning 78632 and you promote to a line 23 - they will add 3530 to your current salary of 78632 and you will fall in between years 2 and 3 at 82162. You will always be between years until you reach max pay for that line.

Example 2: You’re a line 16 at 2 years earning 55288 and you promote to a line 21 - you will earn the starting line 21 salary of 65652.

When you promote you never take a pay cut.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:29 AM

65 posts, read 122,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCourtGuy View Post
If the line you get promoted to has a starting salary that is less than what you are currently earning then OCA takes your current salary and adds on the increment for the line that you are promoted to. That is what your new salary will be so you may actually end up between two years on that salary chart.

Example 1: You’re a line 21 with 4 years in title earning 78632 and you promote to a line 23 - they will add 3530 to your current salary of 78632 and you will fall in between years 2 and 3 at 82162. You will always be between years until you reach max pay for that line.

Example 2: You’re a line 16 at 2 years earning 55288 and you promote to a line 21 - you will earn the starting line 21 salary of 65652.

When you promote you never take a pay cut.
Thanks for the examples, that was really helpful.

Now for the years you complete in your new position, do you receive the increment for that line or wait till you reach the year with a salary higher than originally started?

Plus, if you get hired and have a vacation planned, will it be much trouble to get the time off?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwetoddit View Post
Thanks for the examples, that was really helpful.

Now for the years you complete in your new position, do you receive the increment for that line or wait till you reach the year with a salary higher than originally started?

Plus, if you get hired and have a vacation planned, will it be much trouble to get the time off?
Sorry, I don’t understand your first question. Every April 1 (under the terms of the current contract) ou receive the corresponding increment for whatever line you’re in. So if you’re a a line 16 in 2019, you will receive a raise in salary of 2588 on April 1, 2019.

As for a pre-planned vacation make sure you mention it to your chief clerk as soon as practicable so they can schedule staff accordingly. It’ll take you some time to accrue annual leave so you may be taking that vacay without pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City