Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 11:23 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,308,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Folk thought I was crazy, 11 years ago, when I moved from Park Slope, Brooklyn, and bought my property in Parkchester, which, by the way, is in a great location and tons of amenities! Most of y'all saw this coming and rejected it! I made sure I didn't make the same mistake I made regarding Brooklyn and took the opportunity when it was cheap! And I was warned about Brooklyn, shoot, this whole city, in the mid-80s!

By the way, New York City is a different animal when it comes to real estate! A lot of factors go into this city's RE; lack of supply/land, high demand, transportation, walkability, etc! As far as specifically, the Bronx, well, two factors; 1) Section 8 vouchers paying rents may be contributing to rent spike. As an analogy, if you are going to argue that the availability of financial aid is driving up the costs of colleges (we've heard this argument), then a similar argument could be made to housing vouchers and rents. 2) Given all of Manhattan, even Harlem, is "unaffordable," it makes sense that train would trickle up to the Bronx!
You are crazy. I'm sorry but Parkchester is no Park Slope. Not even close. It has lots of supermarkets, but other than that, I wouldn't call the options "great", not unless you like eating from grease spoons. Most of restaurants are diners and dirty at that. Is there even a good coffee shop there? I have yet to see one. I know Zaros came back, but that's just some low end chain. Starbucks doesn't count either, as they are everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Ugh, they dont break into cars around my way
Once I had a box inside - a box of something worthless, but it was enough. I don't remember about the other time.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You are crazy. I'm sorry but Parkchester is no Park Slope. Not even close. It has lots of supermarkets, but other than that, I wouldn't call the options "great", not unless you like eating from grease spoons. Most of restaurants are diners and dirty at that. Is there even a good coffee shop there? I have yet to see one. I know Zaros came back, but that's just some low end chain. Starbucks doesn't count either, as they are everywhere.
He's happy there - I didn't hear him say it was Park Slope.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:40 AM

34,106 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Once I had a box inside - a box of something worthless, but it was enough. I don't remember about the other time.
Unfortunately, around my way, gunshots are more of a common occurrence than a car break-in. Other than a random act or 2 of vandalism, I can't recall me personally hearing of anybody's car broken into within the immediate vicinity of my block in the 10 years I've lived here.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Unfortunately, around my way, gunshots are more of a common occurrence than a car break-in. Other than a random act or 2 of vandalism, I can't recall me personally hearing of anybody's car broken into within the immediate vicinity of my block in the 10 years I've lived here.
That is very surprising. Even if you leave something in view?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,308,035 times
Quote:
He's happy there - I didn't hear him say it was Park Slope.
Apparently he is, but I can certainly understand people thinking he's crazy leaving Park Slope to move to Parkchester. If we're just talking about stores, you can argue that they both have amenities, but the quality difference is HUGE. You're not going to find those boutique type of cafés there in Parkchester. Be happy with your burnt Starbucks.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:25 PM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...62_rect/15_zm/

Houses in Inwood are still way more expensive. We were there this weekend and saw this for sale--it's one of those buildings on that steep hill on 207th.
Would def take this if someone gave it to me.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:34 PM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Folk thought I was crazy, 11 years ago, when I moved from Park Slope, Brooklyn, and bought my property in Parkchester, which, by the way, is in a great location and tons of amenities! Most of y'all saw this coming and rejected it! I made sure I didn't make the same mistake I made regarding Brooklyn and took the opportunity when it was cheap! And I was warned about Brooklyn, shoot, this whole city, in the mid-80s!

By the way, New York City is a different animal when it comes to real estate! A lot of factors go into this city's RE; lack of supply/land, high demand, transportation, walkability, etc! As far as specifically, the Bronx, well, two factors; 1) Section 8 vouchers paying rents may be contributing to rent spike. As an analogy, if you are going to argue that the availability of financial aid is driving up the costs of colleges (we've heard this argument), then a similar argument could be made to housing vouchers and rents. 2) Given all of Manhattan, even Harlem, is "unaffordable," it makes sense that train would trickle up to the Bronx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I doubt he's saying that Parkchester is comparable to Park Slope. It's that buying it 11 years ago, despite having been living in Park Slope at the time, was a great deal. Which it probably was. Someone buying in Parkchester back then probably did not have the money to buy in Park Slope back then either and that's definitely the case now. Where he made the right choice is that now a lot of people don't even have the money to buy in Parkchester or will get a lot less house in Parkchester for a lot more money.

Parkchester's strong point relative to the rest of the city when it comes to dining is Bengali food. If you like it, then that's great, but I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea especially those who don't eat very spicy or aren't a fan of seafood.

Is there a higher elevation portion of Parkchester or near Parkchester? I'm hoping there is so some corny realtor can start calling it Parkchester Slope so all our gentrification fantasies will finally be true!

Old 05-08-2018, 12:52 PM

481 posts, read 427,943 times
Quote:

We've had two families, one with kids one without, move from Park Slope into our building in Norwood within the last couple months, and I just met another woman from Prospect Park (who's expecting soon) who moved up to the neighbourhood two weeks ago.
What's going on, Brooklyn?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,496,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
We've had two families, one with kids one without, move from Park Slope into our building in Norwood within the last couple months, and I just met another woman from Prospect Park (who's expecting soon) who moved up to the neighbourhood two weeks ago.
What's going on, Brooklyn?
I wonder if this is what's jacking up Bronx rents so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City