Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2018, 07:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

I think the boards act tough with new residents but oldies do what they want...and they want dogs aplenty.

Board president said to me "It is nearly impossible to get rid of a cooperator for ANYTHING." Next door neighbor had rent due statements stuck to his door, running to the many $ thousands and 6 months arrearage. Threats of Marshal evictions: came to nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 AM

481 posts, read 427,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Sotto voce huh... So what exactly was he trying to say? Don't bring your mutts in here, but you'll see some because we have to put up with the old-timers' mutts?
Yes, something like that. It was a funny moment. We're not overrun with bad dog owners though, so I guess that's why the issue hasn't come to a head although there are muttering (no pun intended) complaints.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
NEW YORK (AP) — In a city where rents have gone through the roof, one tenant held on to a real deal: $28.43 a month for a Manhattan apartment.

http://www.wric.com/news/weird-news/...t-1/1171898062

Old 05-12-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You have been a couple days late with some of your threads lately.
You guys are quick

Old 05-13-2018, 09:03 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
This is absurd. These are Astoria prices. Who would pay the same money to live in a worse area or further away from work???? I can't stand NY Real Estate there is no logic or reasoning behind it.
Been saying this for years!

Old 05-13-2018, 03:00 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Approaching $1600 for a 1 bedroom? There are plenty of listings above that and I'm excluding Riverdale. Even Kingsbridge has become rather expensive for what it is. Most one bedrooms now start at $1600 and UP. Like who are the people paying these rents? Some listings below (all one bedrooms in various parts of the Bronx):
The prices that are set above certain amount are set that way so private landlords can be able to deny people that have housing vouchers if they do not wish to accept them legally without any recourse. So if housing voucher allowances go up. You can count on rental prices to go up accordingly for cash paying tenants. Many people do not realize how much that effects the rental prices in NYC as a whole.

My family has owned several Bronx buildings for many years. Some since the 60's. We have many long time tenants that have been there since then as well. They are all on Section 8 though. We take programs for all those buildings. I would say at least 90% of our tenants are on Section 8 or other programs. Like CityFeps. Which averages right now to be $1515 a month. Some CityFeps voucher are only $1268 month. With several programs paying so far below market rate. It is unattractive for most landlords to take them. So landlords will price apts higher than that in order to weed out any people on programs. So cash paying tenants end up paying the price in the end due to that.

Most of the program tenants that we have been seeing a huge upswing the past year alone is from people in DV shelters. Homebase contacts us all the time inquiring. Unfortunately due to really poor credit & many times more than 1 prior eviction my family had had to deny far too many over the past year alone. As well as bad criminal background checks. For many those checks are really bad. And we do have a certain legal responsibility to protect all our other tenants. But we hardly ever have vacancies luckily.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:41 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 03:24 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
The prices that are set above certain amount are set that way so private landlords can be able to deny people that have housing vouchers if they do not wish to accept them legally without any recourse. So if housing voucher allowances go up. You can count on rental prices to go up accordingly for cash paying tenants. Many people do not realize how much that effects the rental prices in NYC as a whole.

My family has owned several Bronx buildings for many years. Some since the 60's. We have many long time tenants that have been there since then as well. They are all on Section 8 though. We take programs for all those buildings. I would say at least 90% of our tenants are on Section 8 or other programs. Like CityFeps. Which averages right now to be $1515 a month. So landlords will price apts higher than that in order to weed out any people on programs. So cash paying tenants end up paying the price in the end due to that.

Most of the program tenants that we have been seeing a huge upswing the past year alone is from people in DV shelters. Homebase contacts us all the time inquiring. Unfortunately due to really poor credit & many times more than 1 prior eviction my family had had to deny far too many over the past year alone. As well as bad criminal background checks. For many those checks are really bad. And we do have a certain legal responsibility to protect all our other tenants. But we hardly ever have vacancies luckily.
How exactly does Section 8 work? They actually give them $1515 a month??!? And what about them actually working? I don't understand how or why they get that much in free rent?? Just about all of us in my building pay market rate rent, but I think there's one guy who gets some sort of voucher and it infuriates me that he appears to be very capable of working but seems to sit at home ALL DAY.

What you stated was exactly why I wanted to be in a building with high rents to keep those people out. I don't want to live with them. They DON'T work and don't give a damn about their neighbors. When you have working professionals in the building you don't have that riff raff. The building stays nice and quiet and clean. $1500 was the floor less than a year ago, and now it's around $1650 for a studio as the floor up to about $2100-2300 for a one bedroom. I want to live around people that earn well like myself, so I look forward to the rents going up in my building. We had a lot of trouble with the guy when he first moved in, but someone left a very nasty note on his door that seems to have sent him the message. Can't have those types of people moving in. They destroy the building and ruin the neighborhood. Thus someone that takes a one bedroom would need $84,000 - 92,000 to get in.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 05-13-2018 at 03:35 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 04:15 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Here are some more interesting listings:

Mott Haven - $2500 - One bedroom

Mott Haven - $3346 - One bedroom, 2 bath loft

I think these two could be record listings for the South Bronx. $3300 for a one bedroom. That's usually what you'd find in Riverdale and even for that it would be two bedrooms, not one.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:41 AM..

Old 05-13-2018, 05:32 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post

How are you denying "far too many over the past year alone" if you hardly ever have any vacancies? Wouldn't the denials only come if you are trying to qualify someone for a unit, and why would you be trying to qualify someone for a unit if it's not vacant?

How many vacancies is "hardly ever"? And how many denials is "far too many"?

Old 05-13-2018, 05:36 PM

South Bronx 138th street May 2018

"The Bronx, once written off by buyers and renters alike, is becoming the next front in New York City's gentrification wars"

"The formerly blighted South Bronx has developed a moniker among real estate professionals as "SoBro" -- suggestive of one of Manhattan's ritziest neighborhoods"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/11/bron...ification.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City