Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 02:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

If I was older, NYC is the last place I would want to visit. I work here everyday and can't wait to get out of here. Tourists are obstacles on the road for workers and other tourists. Last week, there must be thousands of tourists from different countries walking in large groups trying to squeeze through others near Times Square. Why would you pay hundreds $$ just to see other people. Not my cup of tea.

There are other cities where you get to see large melting pot of people in friendlier setting, less noise, less chaotic, and much more affordable.

When you come to NYC you are paying to see random chaos and people trying to to politely avoid each other on the sidewalks and a test of patience. How well you can stand the heat, hunger, patience just to get served around town. Whether it's at a place to eat or fighting other tourists and hipsters with eating street or boutique foods there's a bit of everything here and often large crowds of people waiting for over-rated, over-hyped foods.

If you want your civility tested then come to NYC during the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 05:40 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
These are great ideas for someone younger and more mobile. The OP stated that she doesn't/or can't walk that much and wants a slow-paced visit. All of the above has a lot of stairs and requires walking, even if walking to and from an elevator. Fortunately for the OP, cabs cruise throughout Manhattan.
That is why I say LIRR - You will not do a whole ton of walking. And if his hotel is in the city and he gets tired you stick to places by the LIRR train stops and you are back in bed within 45 minutes tops. After your nap turn back around and go somewhere else and you will be back there in 1 hour...

I am not sure why more tourists don't know but they can take the LIRR to Flushing mid-day and get just as good authentic Chinese and Korean food as downtown, cheaper and probably less walking as well. If they come in through LaGuardia then they should be getting their hotel in Queens anyways.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:43 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If I was older, NYC is the last place I would want to visit. I work here everyday and can't wait to get out of here. Tourists are obstacles on the road for workers and other tourists. Last week, there must be thousands of tourists from different countries walking in large groups trying to squeeze through others near Times Square. Why would you pay hundreds $$ just to see other people. Not my cup of tea.

There are other cities where you get to see large melting pot of people in friendlier setting, less noise, less chaotic, and much more affordable.

When you come to NYC you are paying to see random chaos and people trying to to politely avoid each other on the sidewalks and a test of patience. How well you can stand the heat, hunger, patience just to get served around town. Whether it's at a place to eat or fighting other tourists and hipsters with eating street or boutique foods there's a bit of everything here and often large crowds of people waiting for over-rated, over-hyped foods.

Well I will say there are less crowds and tourists in July compared to April depending on where you are looking to go. I usually go to hot spots in the off season. There are a couple of weeks throughout the year where tourism is noticeably lower but July-September and February-March usually even the most popular places have lower crowds from my observation.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:48 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:

Well, I hope you get to leave soon.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:45 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The Circle Line is a boat is just as it is called. It circles Manhattan island. However, some of the tours/rides are longer/shorter. There is a "guide" or narrator that tells you what you are seeing as you float past.

I've never actually taken it, but it's a been around for many, many years- NY tourist institution.
The only time I took the Circle Line was on 9/11. It was taking people across the river to Hoboken.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:

Ignore trolls like this guy.

There are lots of things older tourists enjoy. Theatre, arts, museums, film screenings, music shows, etc. NYC has a concentration of art and culture essentially not found in most other American cities.

Despite all the bitching New Yorkers do about the subway, most American cities don't have much in the way of mass transit, and that in and of itself is a huge attraction.

The parks are beautiful too.

And please, not all tourists go to or stay in Times Square. There are hotels and AirBNB's throughout the city.

Old 06-24-2018, 11:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I'm old, and planning a trip next spring to NYC - probably with younger family members.

I do not enjoy doing touristy things, so will probably skip most of what every other tourist would want to do.

I do want to see unique shops and architecture and may want to go on some bus tours.

Is it possible to enjoy just a few neighborhoods, dining, shopping, and spas?

I don't feel the need to "see everything" and don't want to "walk all day" (as someone in the Fashion thread said I would HAVE TO DO if I visited NYC).

Thanks for any advice.
It's very possible to enjoy just a few neighborhoods, have wonderful meals, go shopping, and go to the stores. And there are wonderful places to where you can see great architecture.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
That is why I say LIRR - You will not do a whole ton of walking. And if his hotel is in the city and he gets tired you stick to places by the LIRR train stops and you are back in bed within 45 minutes tops. After your nap turn back around and go somewhere else and you will be back there in 1 hour...

I am not sure why more tourists don't know but they can take the LIRR to Flushing mid-day and get just as good authentic Chinese and Korean food as downtown, cheaper and probably less walking as well. If they come in through LaGuardia then they should be getting their hotel in Queens anyways.
We will have to agree to disagree.

I have mobility issues and I take the LIRR regularly. It's not that easy.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
The most crowded time in NYC is between Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's emptier during the last few weeks of August with many going out of town for vacations. During the late spring through the early fall, there are a lot of free activities/shows/concerts outdoors in plazas and parks.

The OP stated that she is not interested in typical tourist sites. If she can be a bit more specific about her interests, then we can give her more suggestions.

Old 07-03-2018, 04:56 AM

2 posts, read 501 times
In my opinion, you can't buy Class...no matter how much money you may have. You either have it, or you don't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City