Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times

Advertisements

I'm old, and planning a trip next spring to NYC - probably with younger family members.

I do not enjoy doing touristy things, so will probably skip most of what every other tourist would want to do.

I do want to see unique shops and architecture and may want to go on some bus tours.

Is it possible to enjoy just a few neighborhoods, dining, shopping, and spas?

I don't feel the need to "see everything" and don't want to "walk all day" (as someone in the Fashion thread said I would HAVE TO DO if I visited NYC).

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 07:36 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,615,663 times
Yes, you can. NYC has a large elderly population especally in more genteel sections of Manhattan. It's not all 20-30 something hot shots whizzing by at 100mph. Bus tours (including using local buses) will give you a feel for the city. Now that it's summer one of my recommendations is to head to an outdoors cafe and just people watch. It's a great way to get a feel for the vibe/diversity of the city.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:53 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
you'll be fine

just chill

go to a speak easy or an independent coffee shop or cafe

Old 06-23-2018, 08:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,717,447 times
How about the Circle Line? Just sit on a boat for a couple of hours.

Then there are some restaurants on the water to just sit and watch the sunset.

You don't have to go at breakneck speed to enjoy the city.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Yes, you can. NYC has a large elderly population especally in more genteel sections of Manhattan. It's not all 20-30 something hot shots whizzing by at 100mph. Bus tours (including using local buses) will give you a feel for the city. Now that it's summer one of my recommendations is to head to an outdoors cafe and just people watch. It's a great way to get a feel for the vibe/diversity of the city.
I love the idea of people watching at a café!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
you'll be fine

just chill

go to a speak easy or an independent coffee shop or cafe
"Speak easy?" They still have those? Wow.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
How about the Circle Line? Just sit on a boat for a couple of hours.

Then there are some restaurants on the water to just sit and watch the sunset.

You don't have to go at breakneck speed to enjoy the city.
Thanks for the great idea. Don't know what the Circle Line is, but I will find out! Sounds like my kind of fun

Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 PM

88,620 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I love the idea of people watching at a café!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!
I am probably the one who said you will be walking all day.

OK, I take it back. You don't have to.

Hang out here one time. It's open 24 hours, and in nice weather the glass front walls are opened and there is outdoor seating, too.

The "Late Breakfast" menu items are very good, as is the lamb burger. Probably everything else, too, but I haven't had it all.

https://www.lexpressnyc.com/

This is on Park Avenue South, a few blocks up from the W Hotel, where the rich and famous often stay. I used to work in the neighborhood, and coworkers out walking at lunchtime saw Elle McPherson, Drew Barrymore, and others, and I saw Anthony Hopkins on a street corner. You never know who might walk past you.

But even if you don't recognize anyone, you can sit and watch New York go by. This is not a tourist trap area, either. People who live and work in the neighborhood go to this place.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-23-2018 at 10:07 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am probably the one who said you will be walking all day.

OK, I take it back. You don't have to.

Hang out here one time. It's open 24 hours, and in nice weather the glass front walls are opened and there is outdoor seating, too.

The "Late Breakfast" menu items are very good, as is the lamb burger. Probably everything else, too, but I haven't had it all.

https://www.lexpressnyc.com/
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it!

Old 06-23-2018, 10:14 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times
Love the Circle Line. It’s a ferry that goes around the island. There’s always Central Park, too. If you head in at the Plaza end on 59th, you don’t have to walk too far and can sit and people watch there, too. If you get hungry or need a bathroom, you can go to the food court in the basement of the Plaza 😃.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City