Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 08:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The implication of course being that middle class people in the Caribbean wish to migrate to the USA. Many decide that they have no interest in living in a land where they might face bias for being black and being immigrants of color and are perfectly happy in their 5 bedroom lavish homes that they have down there. Yes landscaped to look like a botanic garden.

I think some folks spend too much time on the beach so have a very limited notion of how many live down there. In fact there are many middle class Caribbean immigrants to the USA who wonder whether migration wasn't a mistake.
I can see that. Particularly depending on whether they move to in the USA. If they move to NYC where 2,000 in parts of Manhattan can just get you a room and 3000 gets you a tiny studio, I can see the sentiment. The most affordable parts of town are horrible ghettoes where one needs a bullet proof vest.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:18 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://www.vibe.com/2018/07/reverse...ck-populations

So the exodus of Blacks from NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Detroit continues and the Black population in all four cities is steadily dropping.

Blacks do not like progressives so they flee to Red states. So much for this big alliances between progressives and minorities that SJW's always imagine to be the winning ticket. Interestingly most blacks and Hispanics go to churches quite similar to the white working class.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

NYC's Black population will slowly decline but not sharply because of being a Caribbean mecca like Miami and London. I think Africans will also come here in some numbers but like other groups will spread out once they gain economic traction. I think NY will reach a certain level of black population and stabilize.

Chicago seems to have a serious AA out-migration problem. Considering how much of the South and West sides are, this shouldn't be a surprise. I don't see this reversing since the schools are abysmal and the economy there isn't gangbusters. Plus, even if you're not looking to head back south, you can go to Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and find a much more racially hospitable environment.

Personally, I think in the future the next Black meccas outside the South will be in the West. SLC, Denver, Seattle are all very progressive areas with booming economies. I've heard good things about Phoenix believe it or not. I also think LA's Black population will stabilize at some point.

Blacks are also leaving "progressive" cities like Seattle, Denver and Austin as well. The future is in the Southeast.

Also the days of NYC being a Caribbean mecca are ending as most new immigration, especially that of the middle class, centers on the Sunbelt. What new immigration that still exists is more working class as wages remain higher here then elsewhere and the "struggling class" will tolerate over crowding to offset high rents if they can earn more. Remittances are critical for this group, and often the main motivation for migration.

NYC is seen as being too expensive and it doesn't offer the quality of life that the Caribbean middle class want. People are no longer interested in that hustling many hours just to pay the rent, or living long distances from work in order to find decent schools.

African immigration continues, but I don't know for how long. Unless one is in the growth sectors of NYC's economy living here ceases to make sense.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Blacks do not like progressives so they flee to Red states. So much for this big alliances between progressives and minorities that SJW's always imagine to be the winning ticket. Interestingly most blacks and Hispanics go to churches quite similar to the white working class.
Even do we disagree alot and we get into it. I have. To agree with you o. This one. Send you a reputation point. I would like to add, that it's not the alliance between progressives and minorities. It's the alliance for intersectionals and minorities. And a good portion of the time intersectionality fails, but on paper it seems to work. In real world it fails. Black Baptist is going to be fond of a gay person, or an African Muslim immigrant using funds that are designed for African Americans? Absolutely not, while supporting #ados movement. I'm notcitng more black Americans either becoming pro black or black conservative. I was already told by both echo chambers to go back to my country. Even though I was born here.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Of course jailbirds will have different expectations than someone with a professional/managerial background. Even as it has a thriving black middle class ATL has tons of poverty and crime too, I think even worse than NYC. And from what I hear ATL black elites are quite cliquish.
With Atlanta growth, comes high growth of stds. I have been to Atlanta. Out of Las Vegas region, Texas and Florida regions. The Atlanta region has some of the best looking women. Especially if anyone is seriously into colored women. The rate of stds in Atlanta. Makes me cringe.

https://www.plushcare.com/blog/whats...ds-in-atlanta/

Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I can see that. Particularly depending on whether they move to in the USA. If they move to NYC where 2,000 in parts of Manhattan can just get you a room and 3000 gets you a tiny studio, I can see the sentiment. The most affordable parts of town are horrible ghettoes where one needs a bullet proof vest.

Tourists to the Caribbean tend to be more exposed to the poor. Most of the people who they encounter tend to be poor as these are the ones who depend on the tourists. Often times the areas surrounding the resorts are often poor as these are the people who work in the hotels.

The little quip that Kamala made about smoking weed "because half of her family are Jamaicans" created quite a stir among the middle class on that island, and in fact confirmed to them that she isn't a Jamaican. Or she would know that a Jamaican like her is very different from the tourist stereotype of the languid guys lying down on Negril beach, smoking weed and letting the world drift by.

A Jamaican like her would be living in a 6BR house surrounded by lavish gardens and would certainly not boast about smoking weed. 2 cars parked in the garage too, and frequent trips to Florida.

So anyone who thinks that the Caribbean middle class live worse than the poor of Mississippi either don't know how the poor in that state live (the Delta) or only know how the Caribbean poor live.

It will shock you to know that I encounter way more poverty on a daily basis in NYC than when I visit Caribbean islands like Barbados and Antigua.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Even do we disagree alot and we get into it. I have. To agree with you o. This one. Send you a reputation point. I would like to add, that it's not the alliance between progressives and minorities. It's the alliance for intersectionals and minorities. And a good portion of the time intersectionality fails, but on paper it seems to work. In real world it fails. Black Baptist is going to be fond of a gay person, or an African Muslim immigrant using funds that are designed for African Americans? Absolutely not, while supporting #ados movement. I'm notcitng more black Americans either becoming pro black or black conservative. I was already told by both echo chambers to go back to my country. Even though I was born here.
White progressives do not know blacks and Hispanics. They know the politically connected loud mouths like AOC. Her attitude to Amazon just confirmed that as most blacks and Hispanics favored that deal based upon a notion that it could have been improved to provide community benefits. AOC actually resonates more with the white hipsters in her district, who ironically have displaced many, even as they wail about displacement.

Progressives need to understand that the only reason why the black Baptists don't vote GOP is because they think that the GOP is racist and hostile to them. If Trump causes the GOP to become thumped and they are forced to recalibrate I bet that a strategy based on traditional Southern values of self respect and self reliance will resonate strongly among blacks. I don't think that they want to be dependent on social programs and the humiliation that this entails. They want access to decent jobs and they think that the Dems understand this more than do the GOP.

I was once in Harlem in the 80s when Jack Kemp was walking through. If you saw black people rushing to shake his hand! To them he represented good paying jobs with his various incentive programs.

Old 02-27-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Tourists to the Caribbean tend to be more exposed to the poor. Most of the people who they encounter tend to be poor as these are the ones who depend on the tourists. Often times the areas surrounding the resorts are often poor as these are the people who work in the hotels.

The little quip that Kamala made about smoking weed "because half of her family are Jamaicans" created quite a stir among the middle class on that island, and in fact confirmed to them that she isn't a Jamaican. Or she would know that a Jamaican like her is very different from the tourist stereotype of the languid guys lying down on Negril beach, smoking weed and letting the world drift by.

A Jamaican like her would be living in a 6BR house surrounded by lavish gardens and would certainly not boast about smoking weed. 2 cars parked in the garage too, and frequent trips to Florida.

So anyone who thinks that the Caribbean middle class live worse than the poor of Mississippi either don't know how the poor in that state live (the Delta) or only know how the Caribbean poor live.

It will shock you to know that I encounter way more poverty on a daily basis in NYC than when I visit Caribbean islands like Barbados and Antigua.
I had this experience when I traveled to the Dominican Republic. I got surrounded by poor Dominican men all black and not Haitian, all were asking me for money. It was real sad. I gave out like 12 dollars. This was near the airport Las Americas.

When I went to the DR, I stayed with family friends. They live in a gated community. Family has a car and live comfortable, They do not want to move to the United States.

My family in Guyana is middle class. They do not want to move to the USA, especially NYC with the hustle and bustle. My relatives live quite well in Guyana. One of my cousins been to more countries than I have even though the Guyanese passport is crap which mainly allows full travel in South America and the Caribbean.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 02-27-2019 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
White progressives do not know blacks and Hispanics. They know the politically connected loud mouths like AOC. Her attitude to Amazon just confirmed that as most blacks and Hispanics favored that deal based upon a notion that it could have been improved to provide community benefits. AOC actually resonates more with the white hipsters in her district, who ironically have displaced many, even as they wail about displacement.

Progressives need to understand that the only reason why the black Baptists don't vote GOP is because they think that the GOP is racist and hostile to them. If Trump causes the GOP to become thumped and they are forced to recalibrate I bet that a strategy based on traditional Southern values of self respect and self reliance will resonate strongly among blacks. I don't think that they want to be dependent on social programs and the humiliation that this entails. They want access to decent jobs and they think that the Dems understand this more than do the GOP.

I was once in Harlem in the 80s when Jack Kemp was walking through. If you saw black people rushing to shake his hand! To them he represented good paying jobs with his various incentive programs.
Very true. City Data wont let me give you another rep point.

I agree with you on AOC. Her Astoria District which is made up of white transplants, most who are college educated and in some sort of college debt voted for her with the initiative of having the government fix the college loan system of some sort. That is not going to happen. Her voting base is in Astoria Queens, and step in line democrats who have no clue what she is about or is. I'm sure some simp voted for her because she thinks she is a hot Latina. Sadly she only dates white men. AOC does not know the reality of real Hispanics and black folks.

That is also true about black Baptists. I noticed that black Baptists in America are culturally and socially conservative, but vote democrat, and mainly support the democrat party. I also noticed that black America is splintering into different factions. You have the rise of the pro blacks, and than you have true black conservatives who cultrally socially, and are Republican instead of democrat. Both echo chambers hate democrats, and both have a disdain for black immigrants.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:41 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
caribny and bronxguyanese:

You guys can start DMing each other....

The thread turned into Guyanese passports

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City