Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
He did say that, hence my response. 10% of NYC public school kids are homeless. With that I don't understand why any American is talking about Caribbean poverty when we have much of our own.

And these are the ones who are homeless. It doesn't include those doubling up in apartments with extended family members and/or friends.
Re: It's true NYC has a lot of homelessness, yes. Homelessness is rare in the South as a whole, though. You will see some homeless in say Atlanta or Birmingham, but the numbers are still NOTHING like NYC.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
And in fact the community benefits would have addressed just that. The initial deal was a bad one but if people like you really cared about blacks and Hispanics you would have insisted in a deal with community benefits with built in benchmarks. If they didn't meet the benchmarks then they would get nothing.

Driving buses or working with ACS doesn't allow one to remain in NYC.

Now we have middle class blacks fleeing to mediocre cities with limited upside because they are locked out of the dynamic sectors, so can no longer afford to live there.

And if I was paid a dollar for every one who ran down to ATL or FL and then complained about the lower salaries and the hidden expenses that reduces the standard of living that they expected I would be a wealthy man. 2nd tier cities have less economic resiliency in a recession and the last one taught us this.

But here is the deal. Google and yes Amazon will operate in NYC as they wish and without zoning changes, or incentives there is not a thing that the City can do to use them to bridge the gaps because companies can hire who they wish and can only be controlled if part of a community benefits plan.

So I guess by 2030 NYC will be a 80% white and Asian city, 5% being the few blacks/Hispanics who make it as professionals/managers into the dynamic sectors. The rest will be undocumented Hispanic migrants as the poor blacks and Hispanics will be driven out as well. the type of supports that they will need must be paid by tax dollars and with a different electorate those programs will be scaled back. Take a look at the disappearing blacks of San Francisco if you don't believe.
It's not my job to insist on a deal for community benefits. And if by 2030 NYC is going to be mostly white and Asian with just a few Blacks or Hispanics, it certainly isn't my fault or my problem. Amazon coming was just going to reinforce this transition, which will happen without Amazon and in the end those community programs would have meant absolutely nothing.

They pay no one's rent, do not provide jobs en masse, do not open doors en masse, etc.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Btw Nywriterdude the average American cannot get the status that you got by showing ancient Sephardic ancestry and in fact there are several Jamaicans who can, if they so wish, in the same way as you did.
If the genealogy is there, they can. The US and the South did a good job of preserving records, so if the Sephardic ancestry is there they can. A number of Sephardim showed up in Britain and came to colonial America. It's certainly not the majority, but a statistically significant number of Americans can get this status if they wanted to.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:50 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not my job to insist on a deal for community benefits. And if by 2030 NYC is going to be mostly white and Asian with just a few Blacks or Hispanics, it certainly isn't my fault or my problem. Amazon coming was just going to reinforce this transition, which will happen without Amazon and in the end those community programs would have meant absolutely nothing.

They pay no one's rent, do not provide jobs en masse, do not open doors en masse, etc.

First of all this discussion isn't about you. Its about middle class blacks, most of whom have kids to raise and the expenses connected to that.

Great so blacks will be trapped in stagnant regions and definitely not included in economic dynamism. By the time AOC blows up the budget there will be few jobs left in the public sector.

Real estate is a good barometer for economic activity. During the depths of the Great Recession do you know which regions suffered less? The West Coast, the Northeast and Austin TX.
\
Do you know what all of these regions have in common? That blacks are being forced out. Not because they want to leave, but because they aren't in the dynamic sectors so cannot afford to raise kids in those locales.

If middle class blacks do not interest you why comment on this topic?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:52 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
If the genealogy is there, they can. The US and the South did a good job of preserving records, so if the Sephardic ancestry is there they can. A number of Sephardim showed up in Britain and came to colonial America. It's certainly not the majority, but a statistically significant number of Americans can get this status if they wanted to.

And how many Americans can prove that there are Sephardim?

How many Americans even care as for most people Spain pales in what it offers?

I really do not see that issue as relevant, except to Cubans and Venezuelans who must find every reason that will allow them to escape their hell holes. I do not see what a Jamaican with Sephardic ancestry will gain from this.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
And how many Americans can prove that there are Sephardim?

How many Americans even care as for most people Spain pales in what it offers?

I really do not see that issue as relevant, except to Cubans and Venezuelans who must find every reason that will allow them to escape their hell holes. I do not see what a Jamaican with Sephardic ancestry will gain from this.
The European Union as a whole offers a lot of business, and anyone with citizenship in one EU country has access to the whole union.

You'd be surprised. Many Italian Americans have Italian citizenship, or German Americans German citizenship.

I brought this up on the assumption that people from Southern backgrounds somehow have less access to things nationally or globally. My access is GREATER than yours or Bronxguyanese's on multiple levels, and as a part Sephardim I could also get Portuguese (other EU nation) or Israeli itself. And there's my ties to the Jewish community.

Jewish investment and tourism are quite big in the Iberian Peninsula, and let's say I'm rather involved...........

Old 03-02-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
First of all this discussion isn't about you. Its about middle class blacks, most of whom have kids to raise and the expenses connected to that.

Great so blacks will be trapped in stagnant regions and definitely not included in economic dynamism. By the time AOC blows up the budget there will be few jobs left in the public sector.

Real estate is a good barometer for economic activity. During the depths of the Great Recession do you know which regions suffered less? The West Coast, the Northeast and Austin TX.
\
Do you know what all of these regions have in common? That blacks are being forced out. Not because they want to leave, but because they aren't in the dynamic sectors so cannot afford to raise kids in those locales.

If middle class blacks do not interest you why comment on this topic?
If AOC had never run out of office, Black people would still be leaving NYC in large numbers. Frankly the "dynamic "parts of the economy mostly hire people from the top universities, and there are too few Black people with degrees from these universities. It would take many decades if not centuries to change that.

And even before Black flight from NYC, Blacks were literally marginalized in areas of the city considered undesirable at the time, such as Upper Manhattan, the Bronx, and parts of Brooklyn or Eastern Queens. Of course recent changes have made Harlem, Bedstuy, Crown Heights, Flatbush, Bushwick very desirable, and so people got priced out. Same is happening in the South Bronx now.

If you're upset about this appeal to both the business and the political establishment. It's their doing, not mine, and these are the people who can change things IF they want to.

And to tell you the truth for centuries most Black Americans lived in the South, and that is true of the present and will be true of the future. Why on earth would I be upset about that? It's where my family is from.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
The European Union as a whole offers a lot of business, and anyone with citizenship in one EU country has access to the whole union.

You'd be surprised. Many Italian Americans have Italian citizenship, or German Americans German citizenship.

I brought this up on the assumption that people from Southern backgrounds somehow have less access to things nationally or globally. My access is GREATER than yours or Bronxguyanese's on multiple levels, and as a part Sephardim I could also get Portuguese (other EU nation) or Israeli itself. And there's my ties to the Jewish community.

Jewish investment and tourism are quite big in the Iberian Peninsula, and let's say I'm rather involved...........
Lol good for you. I too can also get Portuguese citizenship thanks to my Portuguese ancestry. Yet I have no Sephardim, I'm proud to be a Catholic. I also have a Portuguese Saint Name.

Spain's greatest mistake was expelling half a million Jews from its Kingdom. When Spain become the worlds economic power 500 years ago, Spain did not know what to do with its money, especially with all that silver and gold coming out of South America. The British welcomed back the Jews, and its economy grew and prospered and became the worlds economic power by the mid 18th century. I want to say things to you, but I will leave them to myself. I don't want to offend 16 million people, that I care about at heart. With that said. Spain is going to need Jews to rebuild its economy. Same for the Greeks, and the Italians. Spain has been in an economic rut since the value of silver dropped in the 18th century, causing Spanish economy to inflate. Sadly I highly doubt you can repair the economy of Southern Europe, and probably a welfare leacher of the European Union. Don't make me red pill you, in which you will have to screen shot my comments to SPLC.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:14 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
If AOC had never run out of office, Black people would still be leaving NYC in large numbers. Frankly the "dynamic "parts of the economy mostly hire people from the top universities, and there are too few Black people with degrees from these universities. It would take many decades if not centuries to change that.

And even before Black flight from NYC, Blacks were literally marginalized in areas of the city considered undesirable at the time, such as Upper Manhattan, the Bronx, and parts of Brooklyn or Eastern Queens. Of course recent changes have made Harlem, Bedstuy, Crown Heights, Flatbush, Bushwick very desirable, and so people got priced out. Same is happening in the South Bronx now.

If you're upset about this appeal to both the business and the political establishment. It's their doing, not mine, and these are the people who can change things IF they want to.

And to tell you the truth for centuries most Black Americans lived in the South, and that is true of the present and will be true of the future. Why on earth would I be upset about that? It's where my family is from.
Black Americans are tied to the South. Always have, and always will be. Those who are lucky enough could afford to leave to go to California, Michigan, Gold Coast of Chicago, Milwaukee, and Indiana. Delaware River Valley, Mohawk River Valley which includes NYC. With that said, I just finished reading an article about who is going to pay for reparations, and who gets. Do you get reparations Nywriterdude. I don't, I'm not of this land. I also don't have to pay, my white ancestor did not own slaves either.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lol good for you. I too can also get Portuguese citizenship thanks to my Portuguese ancestry. Yet I have no Sephardim, I'm proud to be a Catholic. I also have a Portuguese Saint Name.

Spain's greatest mistake was expelling half a million Jews from its Kingdom. When Spain become the worlds economic power 500 years ago, Spain did not know what to do with its money, especially with all that silver and gold coming out of South America. The British welcomed back the Jews, and its economy grew and prospered and became the worlds economic power by the mid 18th century. I want to say things to you, but I will leave them to myself. I don't want to offend 16 million people, that I care about at heart. With that said. Spain is going to need Jews to rebuild its economy. Same for the Greeks, and the Italians. Spain has been in an economic rut since the value of silver dropped in the 18th century, causing Spanish economy to inflate. Sadly I highly doubt you can repair the economy of Southern Europe, and probably a welfare leacher of the European Union. Don't make me red pill you, in which you will have to screen shot my comments to SPLC.
No, I have lots of money, not on welfare, and doing lots of business here. Who says I would even care to repair the Spanish economy. My only concern is my own business opportunities, which are fantastic.

You'll never have my access or my global education. So suffer.

But do enjoy the South Bronx, as rents go up and up.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City