Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:04 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
caribny and bronxguyanese:

You guys can start DMing each other....

The thread turned into Guyanese passports
More talk about "progressives" and why they seem to think that blacks and Hispanics are an automatic part of their coalition. The aside was in response to those who seem to think that Caribbean middle class people in the Caribbean live in hovels.

Given that much of the black middle class is of Caribbean origin it is quite relevant to this thread. It shows that many dont want to migrate to the USA and of those who do, NYC isnt their choice given that they demand a high quality of life which they dont see NYC offering. This is a big reason why the black population as a whole, and definitely its middle class component, is declining. Despite what some want to believe its not just AAs who are leaving.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:35 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Tourists to the Caribbean tend to be more exposed to the poor. Most of the people who they encounter tend to be poor as these are the ones who depend on the tourists. Often times the areas surrounding the resorts are often poor as these are the people who work in the hotels.

The little quip that Kamala made about smoking weed "because half of her family are Jamaicans" created quite a stir among the middle class on that island, and in fact confirmed to them that she isn't a Jamaican. Or she would know that a Jamaican like her is very different from the tourist stereotype of the languid guys lying down on Negril beach, smoking weed and letting the world drift by.

A Jamaican like her would be living in a 6BR house surrounded by lavish gardens and would certainly not boast about smoking weed. 2 cars parked in the garage too, and frequent trips to Florida.

So anyone who thinks that the Caribbean middle class live worse than the poor of Mississippi either don't know how the poor in that state live (the Delta) or only know how the Caribbean poor live.

It will shock you to know that I encounter way more poverty on a daily basis in NYC than when I visit Caribbean islands like Barbados and Antigua.
CaribNY, after all this time, you should STOP assuming what I know and what shocks me. NYC, after Manila, Phillipines has the SECOND largest population of HOMELESS people.

So why would your last sentence be shocking?

I've been to cities in the region (Santo Domingo and Bogota) and I saw nowhere near the number of homeless that I would see in NYC or Los Angeles (LA is even much worse per capita than NYC).

Old 02-28-2019, 12:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
CaribNY, after all this time, you should STOP assuming what I know and what shocks me. NYC, after Manila, Phillipines has the SECOND largest population of HOMELESS people.

So why would your last sentence be shocking?

I've been to cities in the region (Santo Domingo and Bogota) and I saw nowhere near the number of homeless that I would see in NYC or Los Angeles (LA is even much worse per capita than NYC).
But NyWriterdude. You said in a previous post that Mississippi and Alabama are not poor and those places are far better to live than some countries. Think of it. Would I rather be middle class in Dominican Republic, or be Middle class in boondocks Alabama?

Old 02-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
White progressives do not know blacks and Hispanics. They know the politically connected loud mouths like AOC. Her attitude to Amazon just confirmed that as most blacks and Hispanics favored that deal based upon a notion that it could have been improved to provide community benefits. AOC actually resonates more with the white hipsters in her district, who ironically have displaced many, even as they wail about displacement.

Progressives need to understand that the only reason why the black Baptists don't vote GOP is because they think that the GOP is racist and hostile to them. If Trump causes the GOP to become thumped and they are forced to recalibrate I bet that a strategy based on traditional Southern values of self respect and self reliance will resonate strongly among blacks. I don't think that they want to be dependent on social programs and the humiliation that this entails. They want access to decent jobs and they think that the Dems understand this more than do the GOP.

I was once in Harlem in the 80s when Jack Kemp was walking through. If you saw black people rushing to shake his hand! To them he represented good paying jobs with his various incentive programs.
Community benefits?

What community benefits?

A few dollars to La Guardia Community College? Funding a new community center?

Put it like this, the vast majority of Blacks and Hispanics in NYC were not going to be employed by Amazon. To the extent Amazon hired New Yorkers, they would have just hired Ivy Leaguers, MIT, and Stanford people. Anyone else would have no chance outside janitorial or maintenance.

There's no real proof that most Blacks and Hispanics supported this deal. At the best, all they could hope to get from this deal is CRUMBS...........

I'm not so certain Amazon is done with NYC, however. In a later date if they decided to buy some office buildings like Google and buy out the leases the state legislature nor the city council have the power to stop them.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:56 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Community benefits?

What community benefits?

Put it like this, the vast majority of Blacks and Hispanics in NYC were not going to be employed by Amazon. To the extent Amazon hired New Yorkers, they would have just hired Ivy Leaguers, MIT, and Stanford people. Anyone else would have no chance outside janitorial or maintenance.

There's no real proof that most Blacks and Hispanics supported this deal. At the best, all they could hope to get from this deal is CRUMBS...........

I'm not so certain Amazon is done with NYC, however. In a later date if they decided to buy some office buildings like Google and buy out the leases the state legislature nor the city council have the power to stop them.
Black girls rock supported the Amazon long Island City hq from what I have been told by black professionals in my circle. Amazon was also going to place a tech incubator to help out black folks who live in those projects in long Island City. But yeah. Most of those jobs amazon was going to place in NYC. If you don't have a degree from a top college, or some h1b visa. You are not getting hired. CUNY degree holders may get back office work like auditing, book keeping, human resources, accounts payable, accounts recievable, facilities management. Probably as well as security and custodial too.i remember seeing a job posting for custodial employee must have a 2 year degree. And that an upper east side doorman must have a 4 year degree.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
But NyWriterdude. You said in a previous post that Mississippi and Alabama are not poor and those places are far better to live than some countries. Think of it. Would I rather be middle class in Dominican Republic, or be Middle class in boondocks Alabama?
Being middle class from boondocks Alabama was great for my family. I ended up graduating from two Ivy League schools, and via distant Jewish ancestry ended up being able to get Spanish citizenship (and thus European).

Most Caribbeans would be unable to produce such records. I'm still an American, and when you go overseas AMERICANS are privileged far beyond Caribbean people.

People with US or European passports can go to most countries for between three and six months without a visa. It's much harder for middle class Caribbeans, as people from poor countries have a much harder time being allowed in other nations even for tourist visas.

Just as there's white privilege, there's American privilege.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 02-28-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post

He did say that, hence my response. 10% of NYC public school kids are homeless. With that I don't understand why any American is talking about Caribbean poverty when we have much of our own.

And these are the ones who are homeless. It doesn't include those doubling up in apartments with extended family members and/or friends.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Community benefits?

What community benefits?

And in fact the community benefits would have addressed just that. The initial deal was a bad one but if people like you really cared about blacks and Hispanics you would have insisted in a deal with community benefits with built in benchmarks. If they didn't meet the benchmarks then they would get nothing.

Driving buses or working with ACS doesn't allow one to remain in NYC.

Now we have middle class blacks fleeing to mediocre cities with limited upside because they are locked out of the dynamic sectors, so can no longer afford to live there.

And if I was paid a dollar for every one who ran down to ATL or FL and then complained about the lower salaries and the hidden expenses that reduces the standard of living that they expected I would be a wealthy man. 2nd tier cities have less economic resiliency in a recession and the last one taught us this.

But here is the deal. Google and yes Amazon will operate in NYC as they wish and without zoning changes, or incentives there is not a thing that the City can do to use them to bridge the gaps because companies can hire who they wish and can only be controlled if part of a community benefits plan.

So I guess by 2030 NYC will be a 80% white and Asian city, 5% being the few blacks/Hispanics who make it as professionals/managers into the dynamic sectors. The rest will be undocumented Hispanic migrants as the poor blacks and Hispanics will be driven out as well. the type of supports that they will need must be paid by tax dollars and with a different electorate those programs will be scaled back. Take a look at the disappearing blacks of San Francisco if you don't believe.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
).

Most Caribbeans would be unable to produce such records. .

Middle class Caribbean people travel as much as they wish. Once one can get a US visitor's visas entry elsewhere is easy to get.

And yes almost 200k trips are made from Jamaica to the USA, so many got it like that. Many Caribbean passports do work in the EU with no visa requirements. Yes it will be hard for them to stay on an extended basis, as you are, but then why would they want to if they don't want to migrate to North America?

Someone with a T&T passport can even visit you in Spain without a visa. They need only prove that they have funds to cover their stay which as US citizen will also need to. The type of Trini likely to visit you will be the well healed professional who could very easily prove this. I have a cousin who lives in T&T and she spends most of her life on a plane.

I bet a Bajan or a Bahamian passport will be even easier to travel with.

You really don't understand that the upper middle class in these places don't have a quality of life much lower than that of many Americans. Income inequality is an issue and we aren't discussing the average person.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:15 PM

Btw Nywriterdude the average American cannot get the status that you got by showing ancient Sephardic ancestry and in fact there are several Jamaicans who can, if they so wish, in the same way as you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City