Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 11:19 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Where did you get this notion of the middle class being invented by the United States. Can you send me a Wikipedia article on this?
You're an intelligent guy, you connect the dots for yourself.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-18-2019, 11:28 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Mississippi is light years ahead of any developing country, but it's a matter of preference I suppose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhNmIKqNqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH_eo1ydoI8

Even though it is light years ahead. Will it attract black Americans from West Coast and Chicago Gold Coasts to relocate their enmass like how northeastern blacks moved to Atlanta?

Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhNmIKqNqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH_eo1ydoI8

Even though it is light years ahead. Will it attract black Americans from West Coast and Chicago Gold Coasts to relocate their enmass like how northeastern blacks moved to Atlanta?
For people whose families are FROM MISSISSIPPI, yes, it attracts African Americans from Chicago and the West Coast. Wow some of you know so little about African Americans it's amazing, yet everyone claims to be the number one expert.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Let me go to Chicago, LA and Detroit and ask the black residents there if they plan on moving back to ancestral lands of the Deep South? Here in the Northeast, black Americans are from the Carolinas and Georgia, and the Carolinas and Georgia have developed over the years economically. Deep South like Alabama and Mississippi lag behind in many areas. A black American is better off moving to a developing nation like Dominican Republic or Trinidad and Tobago vs moving to Mississippi or Alabama.
Many AAs from Chicago, LA, and Detroit moved back to the Deep South as early as the late 70s and 80s. This is nothing new.

And the Deep South is well ahead of any developing nation. It's still very much as part of the US. You know, modern medical care, American citizenship, electricity that works all the time, etc.

Those states are were African Americans mostly lived upon coming to the US, are where most African Americans STILL live.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,606,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Many AAs from Chicago, LA, and Detroit moved back to the Deep South as early as the late 70s and 80s. This is nothing new.

And the Deep South is well ahead of any developing nation. It's still very much as part of the US. You know, modern medical care, American citizenship, electricity that works all the time, etc.

Those states are were African Americans mostly lived upon coming to the US, are where most African Americans STILL live.
Yeah, many people in Latin America and the Caribbean live in little tin roof shacks and make very little money (if they can even find a job), nowhere in Mississippi or Alabama is that impoverished.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I remember some years ago. This black guy did some crime on my block. Liek many of his criminal stock, they have no choice but to return ancestral South or face the wrath of NY state prison complex upstate. The Next day he ran back to his family in the Carolinas. They helped him find a job, he found himself a gf within a few days and within a year he was having a baby. Police caught on to him, and he was arrested. His grandmother was housing a felon from NY. Only if he had a passport he would have been safe, I mean truly safe. Having roots and maintaining roots in America is vastly different than maintaining roots overseas when shtf.
Dude, this thread is about middle class Black people leaving NYC, not about your criminal friends fleeing justice. If he had a foreign passport and fled the country, depending on the crime and the nation there are extradition treaties and he could have been busted in other country and sent back to the US for his crime.

As for your friend, assuming your story is accurate, then he deserved to be caught for his crime because you cannot leave NYC just because you're fleeing justice. You have to deal with your criminal situation there. Assuming THAT is resolved, then you are free to move.

Some of you are also behind the times, the huge exodus of AAs out of NYC started decades ago. Probably most of the Blacks born in NYC now are first and second generation Americans. And now the overall population is declining as a lot of Caribbean people get priced out.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,056,691 times
Quote:
Dude, this thread is about middle class Black people leaving NYC, not about your criminal friends fleeing justice. If he had a foreign passport and fled the country, depending on the crime and the nation there are extradition treaties and he could have been busted in other country and sent back to the US for his crime.

As for your friend, assuming your story is accurate, then he deserved to be caught for his crime because you cannot leave NYC just because you're fleeing justice. You have to deal with your criminal situation there. Assuming THAT is resolved, then you are free to move.

Some of you are also behind the times, the huge exodus of AAs out of NYC started decades ago. Probably most of the Blacks born in NYC now are first and second generation Americans. And now the overall population is declining as a lot of Caribbean people get priced out.

No duh ivy league surelock Holmes. Michael Jordan Brooklyn born. His family must have made a ved to North Carolina. Before you came on city data. We spoke about the decline or black Americans in NYC due to census results.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:15 PM

51 posts, read 49,236 times
Black middle class should marry white middle class

Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 PM

283 posts, read 234,166 times
Depends on how you define "middle class" in NYC but tbh I don't know a ton of middle class black folks and I move through a very diverse social/work circle. I can name several off the top of my head (mostly they have city jobs) but the majority of middle class families I know of are white.

I suspect MOST middle class black folks, unless they have a specific job that ties them to NYC, have already left for other places by now. Same thing with most immigrants too--they stay for 1-2 generations and then move to the suburbs once they have some level of security. The immigrant neighborhoods here mostly house the working class immigrants and the first generations + their children (unless you're looking way deeper into the boroughs where the subways don't run)

I definitely think the trend is changing though and immigrants who manage to "make it" are more likely to stay if they bought property here, because NYC has become a very livable place. So livable that prices are out the gawdaaayam booty

Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,545,646 times
Quote:
African Americans with family moving to the Soutg are essentially returning home, so their ability to do do is greater than that of immigrant Blacks with no family connections.

Retirees aren't looking for employment. They want their dollars to spread further. So going South makes sense. I am already considering my options in another 10 or so years when I retire.

Blacks (immigrant or not) heading South are often disappointed at how limited the job options are and how low the pay is. In fact you yourself have mentioned this when others were singing that life in the South is bliss. The cousins down there aren't about to support an ex NYer who cannot find a living wage job.

NYC will always have a more dynamic economy than other places, even during a recession. Its just that most middle class blacks lack ladders of access to these opportunities so are being forced out of the city. A civil service wage can carry someone only so far when all goods and services are priced for the Bernie Sanders loving hipsters with their $3k studios and $20 coffees, and $50 organic, gluten free veggies. The mid level back office jobs in the financial services sector have now been moved out of NYC, lucky for those whose jobs only transferred over to Jersey City. Hospital jobs are also getting tight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City