Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
This is asinine. Why cause the mayhem of a shutdown, inconveniencing tens of thousands of people, for months, when it isn't necessary.
Because necessary, as in getting just a baseline job done, isn't necessarily by itself the best plan in terms of future reliability, total costs, or any possible improvements.

The question is also if major projected simultaneous improvements that were to be made, like the power substation that was supposed to allow for higher frequencies and greater reliability, are now on the chopping block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
Ask the people who's commutes would get vastly longer for months if the line were shut down , if the inefficiency is worth keeping the line running while the work is dohe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Because, as Kefir King said earlier, I think that fixing the tunnels at night and on weekends, with setting up all the equipment and then having to pack it all up, every morning, is a waste of time and money.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:31 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
So with the new way of doing this, why not keep it shut down and finish the job in a half the time/months. If they are just doing it weeknights and weekends for 15 months, since people already planned for the shut down. Quick math would tell me if its a 15 month full time should cut 15 months down to 7 months. Just get it done with.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 01-06-2019 at 08:19 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 07:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So with the new way of doing this, why not keep it shut down and finish the job in a half the time months. If they are just doing it weeknights and weekends for 15 months, since people already planned for the shut down. Quick math would tell me if its a 15 month full time should cut 15 months down to 7 months. Just get it done with.
Right. Being shut down nights and weekends still sucks

Old 01-06-2019, 08:19 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,491,391 times
It sucks VASTLY less than crushing everyone's commute. No subway service at all makes living in the area much less viable. Losing nights and weekends is an annoyance, but livable for mist people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

Old 01-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
It sucks VASTLY less than crushing everyone's commute. No subway service at all makes living in the area much less viable.
Williamsburg and Bushwick have the J and M train too.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,241,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Most of the summer I had no service weeknights after 930pm and weekends. If they could've just did it in a few weeks straight, I would've preferred that. Instead it ruined my whole summer for going out.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Most of the summer I had no service weeknights after 930pm and weekends. If they could've just did it in a few weeks straight, I would've preferred that. Instead it ruined my whole summer for going out.
Yeah, this has been going on so long already, I wish they could have just nipped it in the bud.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Ask the people who's commutes would get vastly longer for months if the line were shut down , if the inefficiency is worth keeping the line running while the work is dohe.
Not to mention the massive economic damage this would cause . I'm glad Cuomo stopped the L train shutdown.

The J and M cannot absorb all those extra commuters. Nor would taking the G to Court Square to connect to the already overcrowded, E, M, and 7 trains work.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 PM

357 posts, read 727,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The facelift of Brooklyn/Queens is still dressing the wounds.
Tells me two things.

1) How fragile the ongoing gentrification of the Brooklyn area surrounding the L train actually is.
It would not take much for sections of Brooklyn to return to dump status.

2) The powers that be will stop at nothing to stop the flow of revenue ( real estate ) from collapsing.
The continued pumping of money into this investment will payoff in dividends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB1220 View Post
It is paywalled but, the WSJ is reporting exactly this.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-l-t...ns-11546561665

In short, landlords in the area were not happy about having to discount rents. Read from several people on the NYC Reddit thread who either moved because of this or negotiated lower rent....
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
The Mouth of Albany, that some kind of piece of governor Cuomo was waiting until *after* winning the election to make his move.

Previously all we heard was "I don't control the MTA....", now the eejit is doing a victory lap dance acting like Underdog who swooped in and saved the day.....

Likely Cuomo's big money real estate pals put the squeeze on him to stop the slide in Williamsburg and other area properties affected by proposed prolonged "L" subway closure.

Personally think the entire lot ought to be lined up and shot. Cuomo in particular sat on this scheme while the MTA and NYC spent millions and vast amounts of time planning for the "L" train shutdown. Then in rides Underdog with his (unnamed and unknown) Columbia students with their cunning plan.

When all is said and done Cuomo will likely slap his name all over the subway tunnels same as he did with the new SAS stations. That and or maybe rename them after his late father (as with the Tappan Zee bridge), or some other member of his family.

lol, short term money instead of long term solutions. You can't make this stuff up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City