Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Im having such a hard time with my cabelvision and the internet, it seems for the lat 5 days all my internet is so slow, along with cell, i-pad and laptop. Since it is all three i know it isnt one.
So, now my building has both cabelvision and fios.
Question is, qhich is the faster internet provider?

I have had cabelvision all these years as thats all we had, but now fios had come and was thinking of switchng over.

Im not concerned about the proce, they all basically suck at that, it just seems that with cabelvision I have had more than my share of problems with it.

Now the internet is so terribly slow and to wait for pictures, let alone watch a video or something can make me go completely bonkers.

Im on hold right now waiting for cabelvision to pick up so i can tell them it is slow.

any advice on what i should do.
Right now id like to kill myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:34 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
How long have you had your Internet service? The cable services are constantly rewiring the lines. If they have not been in your apartment in some time, you may need them to check the line.

I use Optimum, at their lowest plan and never have any problem with my internet or connectivity.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:55 PM

1,486 posts, read 989,683 times
I had Cablevision for over 20 years then switched to FIOS for more speed at the same price. In my situation, when they changed their name from Cablevision to Optimum Online, they kept raising the price while keeping the same tier speed year after year.

Since switching to FIOS ive had one of their sales person come to my apartment multiple times trying to get me to switch back, BUT this time they weren't Cablevision, or Optimum Online, they are now Altice One. One quick look at their customer reviews online and I knew to stay far, far away from them.

As for your speed being slow, I had issues like that twice, and issues where the internet would drop and when I told them of the issue multiple times they sent out a tech to inspect the line. It had something to do with the main box coming into the building and they never had to come into my apartment to replace any cables or anything.

Give them a call, also ask to talk to their retention department to see if you can get a cheaper price for being a loyal customer.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Had Fios triple play for over 10 years.
Started off great less than $100 a month ended up dropping them after paying over $200 a month.
I refuse to commit to any contract ever again. Settled on Spectrum for cable internet and AT&T for
mobile and home phone for half the price.
The Speed is phenomenal for not being fiber optic. Don't really notice the difference and I
upload,download and deploy hardware and software developments . No issues to speak.
Note: Unless you are a gamer to which I can not advise, Spectrum is awesome, at least for me.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 PM

thank you all, cable is coming the 30th to check the wires, or what ever they do. I will take it from there.
they had already checked the lines last year, as every time it was windy or snowy, my everything went out. They gave me a new wire from the outside box and like another poster stated, they didnt have to enter my apartment.

i was doing well, but the last week or so, pictures and videos take forever to load up. I read curbedNY and thier pictures are like forever for me to see.....
sigh, this can put one into a frenzy....

Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Hmmm, I could swear I posted to this and poof??

So nightcrawler, dig out the best FIOS deal you can find and sign up for a year or two. I guarantee you will save money. If you hate it, then switch back to Optimum for their new teaser rate. That is the way to play this game. Back and Forth.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:16 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,112,574 times
I have FIOS about ten years now. I don't care how much of a lower price Optimum offers me, I would never switch back.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:17 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
FiOs

Anything else would be uncivilized

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-23-2019, 09:15 PM

286 posts, read 211,133 times
Are you sure it is not your modem or router?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:48 PM

^ cable will check the modem and router, I hope.

the boys in the office all say fios is better for internet, and my next door neighbor has it as well.

i remember when she got it nextdoor, the tech came in and said it would go thru the hallway wall and connect to the coaxil that is here already...

all my cable wires are buried under the molding and floors from 25 years ago, so other than the hall closet none of it is really exposed. Id hate for fios to come in and have to tack wires all over the place, i guess everything will depend on when cable come.
also i have 2 TV boxes, phone and internet and pay 195, of course thats a crime, and I have basic nothing.

****sigh****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City