Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:18 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,003,562 times

Advertisements

Don't forget to say goodbye to culture and hello to rednecks! Say goodbye to diversity and hello to the REAL America. Say goodbye to high salaries and hello to depressed wages. Say goodbye to public transportation and hello to escalating gas, insurance, and traffic. Say goodbye to excellent dining and hello to Taco Bell, Shoney's, and Chilis. Say goodbye to walkable communities and hello to driving miles for anything and everything. Say goodbye to quality shopping and hello to Wal-Mart and the mall. Say goodbye to a broad established economy and hello to Call centers and retail.

But you will have 1,300 sf of space..and that has to count for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:21 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,099,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Don't forget to say goodbye to culture and hello to rednecks! Say goodbye to diversity and hello to the REAL America. Say goodbye to high salaries and hello to depressed wages. Say goodbye to public transportation and hello to escalating gas, insurance, and traffic. Say goodbye to excellent dining and hello to Taco Bell, Shoney's, and Chilis. Say goodbye to walkable communities and hello to driving miles for anything and everything. Say goodbye to quality shopping and hello to Wal-Mart and the mall. Say goodbye to a broad established economy and hello to Call centers and retail.

Guy- this is a gross exaggeration usually not seen in your posts. Just because you move away from NYC doesn't necessarily mean your forgoing a life of culture, high salaries, good food, quality shopping etc. I could see your point if she was moving to nowhere Alabama or Georgia, But she is moving to Charlotte, which is a great city and currently there are more people moving to Charlotte then any other city in the country I think.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:40 PM

I don't think it is a gross exaggeration at all, which is why I stated it. Do you believe that she will be walking to work, taking public transportation, or driving? Do you believe she will be driving to the store or taking local transportation? Do you believe she will have the breath of dining and retail options or will she be shopping at the mall and eating at Chilis? Do you believe she will also have a high wage, or will she be surrounded by low wage jobs? Do you believe she will be surrounded by diversity of people, cultures, languages, foods, and experiences, or will she be surrounded by only whites?

My comment stands...she can say goodbye to all of these things.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is a gross exaggeration at all, which is why I stated it. Do you believe that she will be walking to work, taking public transportation, or driving? Do you believe she will be driving to the store or taking local transportation? Do you believe she will have the breath of dining and retail options or will she be shopping at the mall and eating at Chili's? Do you believe she will also have a high wage, or will she be surrounded by low wage jobs? Do you believe she will be surrounded by diversity of people, cultures, languages, foods, and experiences, or will she be surrounded by only whites?

My comment stands...she can say goodbye to all of these things.
Charlotte has much to offer someone. The average income in NYC and in Charlotte is very similar. She will not have the "breath" of retail shops b/c the city is 1/4 of the size, but she will have many options other than the mall and Chillies. She will not have the "Diversity" of NYC, but the diversity here is overrated. People in NYC are just as segregated and raciest as people in the rest of the country. She will live with a higher percentage of rednecks and a lower percentage of urban ghetto thugs. Have you ever been to Charlotte?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:45 PM

I agree that Charlotte has much to offer many, as does just about everyother town of that size anywhere in the South or West...there is nothing unique or special about Charlotte that cannot be found anywhere else of similar size. You have a lower cost of living, large homes for a cheap price, a limited job market with majority low wage jobs, limited to no diversity (whether it be race, food, culture, thinking), and a 99.9% driving culture.

I stand by these statements, Charlotte suits many...but I was also pointing out the fact that she will be saying goodbye to a host of things and hello to a host of things as well, and they are not all great. It's about being fair and balanced....

Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,782 times
I'm so sick of the city....love it, but sick of living there. Give me the coast and happiness anytime!!

Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I stand by these statements, Charlotte suits many...but I was also pointing out the fact that she will be saying goodbye to a host of things and hello to a host of things as well, and they are not all great. It's about being fair and balanced....

Yes, your post made it sound like of the "goodbyes" were positive and all of the "hellos" were negative and thats not true, at least its not if we are talking about Charlotte. I don't think you have ever been to Charlotte, if you ever get there you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:54 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Don't forget to say goodbye to culture and hello to rednecks! Say goodbye to diversity and hello to the REAL America.
I love how many New Yorkers have never lived outside of New York and just ASSUME that this is how the rest of the US is. Who is the real ignorant person?

Quote:
Say goodbye to high salaries and hello to depressed wages. Say goodbye to public transportation and hello to escalating gas, insurance, and traffic. Say goodbye to excellent dining and hello to Taco Bell, Shoney's, and Chilis. Say goodbye to walkable communities and hello to driving miles for anything and everything. Say goodbye to quality shopping and hello to Wal-Mart and the mall. Say goodbye to a broad established economy and hello to Call centers and retail.

This is all true for some places, not so much for others. but I love how New Yorkers just *assume* that no other city has good, family-owned restaurants, diversity, walkable downtowns, or job markets. And as for rednecks, I'd rather hear a red neck talk than a harrrrrrible New York accent of someone waiting "on" line. lol.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM

For the record I have spent significant amount of time in places like Marrietta, Orlando, Birmingham, Mobile, Gainevsille, and Alexandria....and needless to say they all had great things about them. But at the end of the day they were all essentially identical in what they had to offer...and Charlotte is no different...please tell me how it offers something special that these other cities do not?

I am not saying NYC is wonderful or superior..far from it....it is what I am used to and enjoy. Charlotte and other places are great..but to believe that you are trading up or getting a beter life just b/c you have a bigger house and garage is silly. I will take the inconveniences of living in NYC, whatever they may be, rather than live in anytown, USA. Maybe when I am older that will change...

Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
juppiter - MOST of the people with this ridiculous attitude are not from here. MOST of the people born and raised here realize there are actually restaurants and stores in other cities and states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City