Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times

Advertisements

Yes I understand that..but 7th..do you believe that she is unable to find a decent 1 bedroom apt for $1,400 a month anywhere within a reasonable commute to Manhattan? That is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM

67 posts, read 469,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Whoa, yeah, $43k for NYC is not much...it does equal out to what, about $600-$650 net, per week? You can live on that, but barely. I did for a while when I first came to NYC. I lived in Williamsburg, luckily, in a loft on south Broadway (in 2001), and paid my room's share of $600 per month. Yeah, $600! That was pretty cheap then...Then, I moved up to North 8th St and Kent Ave and paid my share again, which steadily rose from $750 per month, up to $900 per month. But I lived in a dope pad that overlooked the city--I loved it. It's all about what 'hood you are in, when living in NYC. Whether it's the Bronx or Staten Island, your 'hood can't be depressing.
Not to "pile on" the original poster, but Astoria--to me--is depressing. Long Island City, Greenpoint, Williamsburg, Ft Greene, Brooklyn Heights--those areas I love. I think you can live anywhere in NYC on a budget if you look hard enough and are willing to make some concessions. This city is ALL about concessions and compromise.
i wanted to know why you think Astoria is depressing? I'm possibly moving there in about a month, going there this weekend to check out a few places first, but why do you say that? I'm originally from Chicago moved to Florida about 8 months ago but there's no work for me here (wanted a change w/nice weather, love the weather but can't live w/out money either....) so i'm thinking of NY b/c they have legal secretarial positions available for me....so what's so depressing about Astoria? any input would greatly be appreciated...

Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I first went to New York with a friend in 1963 and yes, it was a disappointment. We neither one could make over $60/week with the cheapest rent we could find at about $200/month--thus we were forced to take in horrible roommates....I couldn't wait to get out of there--went to L.A. and loved it out there. In those days you could live there cheaply and have lots of fun and it was safe to walk around and visit places after dark! My first little apartment was only $40/month!
$200 a month was the cheapest you could find in 1963??? With due respect, I flat out don't believe it! I helped a friend with an apt. search in 1970, and we were looking at places for $100 and under, which were easy to find. (She ended up moving into her bf's apt.)

My first apt. in 1975 was a two-month sublet for $200/mo. I moved from there into my present apt. During my first lease, I paid $185. I don't know what you might have been looking at in 1963.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM

17 posts, read 58,542 times
Maybe to you commuting 2 hours to work is fine, but for me it's not. It took me an hour and 15 minutes to get to work when I was living in Harlem so I am damn well not moving to the bronx. And I never said I didn't want to be around people of color, my fiancee is of color and my stepfather. I have no issues with that but I want to feel safe. The point of my post wast to point out that this city is a lot harder than anywhere else. I grew up 30 miles out side of Boston and it would take me less time to get to a job anywhere in the city from where I grew up than it takes me now and I live a total of about 8-10 miles awayfrom work. And maybe 1400 can't get you a prime location in New York, that was my point... in any other city that i have been to, that amount of money would put you anywhere you want. Just north of boston I could get a BRAND NEW LUXURY 1 BEDROOM LOFT with a doorman, a fitness center, city views, a balcony for $1200 and it would take me less time to commute than it does now. Is this string not about being let down by the city or am I wrong?

Old 04-17-2008, 02:06 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingpop View Post
Hi all,

I moved here 3 years ago after wanting to live here since I was 9. Everyone from my town in the Midwest is like, "NY? Do you love it????" Actually, no. It's been a big up and down.

I do give the city props that you can really fulfill any sort of career goal you have here, because the city has so much opportunity. But I'm feeling really let down by what I've found to be the reality of life here. I could rent in Manhattan but on my $43,000 annual salary this wouldn't leave me much to play with. I sublet with some horrible roommates in Sunset Park for 9 months when I first got here and it was awful!!! However, it was all I could find for less than $600 a month.

Now I live with my sister in Astoria but guess what!? We SHARE a one-bedroom apartment. Seriously? At 26 this is what my life is? Granted, I couldn't do it with anyone else but I feel like even those people who make a million a year always need more and more in this city. It's quickly becoming a place for the very wealthy. Since when is a six figure salary ****? Since rent in Tribeca for a 1-bedroom is $3500 a month.

Another disturbing thing I find is that people my age living in Manhattan don't pay their rent-their parents pay it. So me living in Queens is like, "Oh my god!" A lot of them don't even know where Red Hook is. I seriously don't think they have ever been to Queens or Brooklyn, and don't even mention (gasp) the Bronx.

This was just a city of my dreams and now that the dream is reality, it wasn't that dreamy after all. I'm glad I did it but I find myself wishing I lived in NY in the 70's when it was grittier. It's getting more and more homogenous with each passing year.

Thanks for reading. Please share your thoughts, or you can tell me to just stop whining!

I actually think your post was enlightening, and most people who are thinking about moving here should really read it..... there's a reason they say this city will "eat people alive", and that's because it takes a special breed of person to make their way through the maelstrom that is "New York", and who can become a part of the machine, itself.... be absorbed into it... most of us who emigrate here instead try to make it fit OUR needs. . . . . which it never will.

I lived in Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago and rural areas of Illinois, before moving here 3+ years ago, and it's been a long, strange trip for me, too.. the financial hardships of it all are my downfall, and a primary reason why I'm going to be moving to Pittsburgh within the next month or so . . . I can't get any money saved here, and the frenetic pace of the city is enough to thwart all but the most intrepid pilgrims.... which is why so many wind up going back to that from whence they came, eventually....

All that said, I still think NYC is the GREATEST city on earth, and it really IS the "Center of the World".. I think everyone should come live here for a few years at least once in their life, just to see if they can make it... to compare themselves against that standard. . . to avail themselves of the amazing cultural and other opportunities that are here, and nowhere else BUT here....

I wish ya luck, brother.... I feel your pain, and I know where you are, spiritually, because I've been there, myself.... but I also know that, after three years here, and experiences fending attackers off women in the subways, hanging over the edge of the Rock center building to take the "perfect picture", cursing out cabbies and other crappy drivers (with no regard to what might happen to me). . . . I know, that I AM now, a "New Yorker", or at least partially so. . . . and, if I had a 6-figure income, I'd remain one for the rest of my life....

God Bless New York City, and "New Yorkers", wherever you are.... (Yes, even Staten Island....)...

Old 04-17-2008, 02:13 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times
Officer....where were you working that it took you an 1 and 1/4 hours to get to work? Were you walking to work? Your posts get more and more outrageous....yes you can get better deals in Boston...and most other places....but you CANNOT here....we know this. Why would this be a let down or a surprise?

I am willing to bet I can find you a decent 1 bedroom for $1,400 a month within a 30 minute commute to your job (depending where it is of course)....and if I do...I want the broker fee. Deal?

Old 04-17-2008, 02:18 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post

I am willing to bet I can find you a decent 1 bedroom for $1,400 a month within a 30 minute commute to your job (depending where it is of course)....and if I do...I want the broker fee. Deal?
Can I get a piece of that action, too?...... I could use the money!...

Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM

well right now I am in a lease and not moving any time soon. I work by the Fulton St. stop and was living at 151st and Broadway and I had to leave my apt at 7:45 to be walking in the door at my job at 9 o'clock... go ahead up there and test me... and now my commute is not so bad being in Staten Island, if the ferry would just move a little faster I'd be there in no time.

And it is a shock and a let down when you are not from this city and haven't been told or warned about this. like the las post before you said, everyone considering moving here should read about this, but i didn't and I thought I would get at least close to the same quality living arrangements as other cities, I knew it was expensive, I just never knew HOW EXPENSIVE and that is the whole point. It shouldn't be the case where a city is so expensive that it's nicer areas are solely for the rich. I'm not saying that I regret this move or anything, I just think that the world is a little off kilter when the prices in a city have driven so many people to have to find housing elsewhere, and where the middle class really have no place. Most people who move to this city don't move here to live in Brooklyn or Queens, they want to live in Manhattan, so when someone comes halfway across the country or world to have the lifestyle that is always described of New York, and realize that if they aren't rich, they can't have it, that can be a big disappointment.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:43 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Yeah I can understand the idea of disappointment, but all of these people from other parts of the country move here with crazy expectations that are not in touch with reality. I read it on this board all the time.

Somebody will post that they are from Iowa, Missouri, North Dakota, etc and just got done watching some episode of Seinfeld, Friends, Sex in the City, etc and want to move to NYC to test the waters. They have no savings and generally not too much in the way of job qualifications or connections. They will probably pull in about $30-40k a year, but they want to live in the Village or the Upper East Side.

These types of posts are completely crazy, but they are on here all the time.

Now about your commute. Staten Island is a pretty good choice if your job is near Wall Street. Jersey City has very close access on the PATH (I think it is a 10-15 minute ride on the PATH from Grove Street). Brooklyn is another option, but most places in Northern Brooklyn are either expensive or run-down. Southern Brooklyn is nicer but the subway ride is a lot longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer's_sweetie View Post
well right now I am in a lease and not moving any time soon. I work by the Fulton St. stop and was living at 151st and Broadway and I had to leave my apt at 7:45 to be walking in the door at my job at 9 o'clock... go ahead up there and test me... and now my commute is not so bad being in Staten Island, if the ferry would just move a little faster I'd be there in no time.

And it is a shock and a let down when you are not from this city and haven't been told or warned about this. like the las post before you said, everyone considering moving here should read about this, but i didn't and I thought I would get at least close to the same quality living arrangements as other cities, I knew it was expensive, I just never knew HOW EXPENSIVE and that is the whole point. It shouldn't be the case where a city is so expensive that it's nicer areas are solely for the rich. I'm not saying that I regret this move or anything, I just think that the world is a little off kilter when the prices in a city have driven so many people to have to find housing elsewhere, and where the middle class really have no place. Most people who move to this city don't move here to live in Brooklyn or Queens, they want to live in Manhattan, so when someone comes halfway across the country or world to have the lifestyle that is always described of New York, and realize that if they aren't rich, they can't have it, that can be a big disappointment.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:29 PM

yeah, Jersey would be almost ideal as far as locale and prices but my fiancee must live in state being a police officer. I understand that people come here with unrealistic goal, but that's not what drew me to New York. I went to school for Journalism and came to New York for opportunity. I thought my goals were realistic. However, even as a college educated student who has been a manager at 2 jobs, done ample office work and had numerous internships, I am still only pulling in that 30-40 range... I guess like others have said, my experience is just too generic and I am too replacable in this city to make decent money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City