Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 11:08 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,445 times

Advertisements

Where are the Social Justice Warriors? As a black man, we need more Bernie Goetzs to pick off some of these hoodlums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 11:10 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/12/13/new-de...-tessa-majors/

When your neighbor says a 13 year old is a normal kid smoking weed at 13 there are some issues going on.
“He’s just a normal person,” said Sears, a food-service worker. “Any time I come by, I’m like, ‘Yo, what’s going on, Shorty?’ ”

“He just hangs out, he smokes weed, just a normal person in my eyes

The weed is not making him engage in armed robbery and murder - that's on lots of other factors to be debated without end.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:11 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times
The perp is from a broken home. He lives with his uncle and aunt. And the perp lives close to harlem or in harlem which has faced an uptick in gentrification. I put blame on economics for this event which took place. The city needs to do better job with its money and services on how to help out people.

What is sad about this situation is that the victim is also a social justice activist who wants to bring change and equity to those he feel marginalized. This is real sad. My heart really goes out. Not only that. This story brings out memories of central park 5 incident which took place exactly 30 years ago not too far away

Old 12-14-2019, 11:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You really missed the point. I am not talking about ADULTS smoking weed. We are talking about a kid who is still in middle school. And people acting like it's all fine and dandy when kids are doing drugs regularly. I'm leaving Ritalin that someone might have a legitimate use for out of this. But if you don't want them arresting people possessing surely you don't want the pill pushers arrested if they have the same amount on them?
Lots of people that young have indeed already smoked weed. Not a cause for arrest. Maybe a cost for ACS or a social worker to get involved, if the teachers at school notice a kid under the influence.

I see lots of teenagers here in Spain smoking weed, and nobody bats and high. These same kids sell weed. The parents know (they smoke too). It's a norm here.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
While I did not read this entire thread, I have of course heard what happened.

The baby scum is just 13 and apparently lives with the aunt, as his mother died when he was small. The child must have shown some aggressive tendencies prior to this - I have seen this type of a boy a lot as I was growing up (in a country where everyone was white, including boys with aggressive tendencies) - they received counseling to the effect of pointing out to them that the society will retaliate if they act tbe way they do, and they should channel their aggression in some acceptable way. I have a very good memory of my childhood, and remember the event in the kindergarten, where an angelic looking blond boy who newly joined the kindergarten about a week earlier spotted the moment when both kindergarten teachers left the playroom for a moment, locked the door on the inside, and told us all that he was now a pirate captain, and who is with him or against him? In the few minutes of confusion that took the teachers to find a spare key and open the door, the little animal had managed to tie one of the girls to a chair with a jump-rope, and was threatening to kill her with scissors. The boy (6 years old) was hastily removed and institutionalized. I encountered him later as a teenager. At that point he was a very private, quiet, polite kid, and a competitive skier (not one of the famous ones, but competitive at lower levels). He ended up in a respectable profession, which does include mildly torturing other people, but entirely for their own good and for improvement of their health. So, in some cases it is possible to scare a kid out of that behavior - if not, the kid should be permanently removed from the normal human society
I agree that small children that show signs of mental illness or socially unacceptable behavior should have interventions from mental health officials and social workers.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
The perp is from a broken home. He lives with his uncle and aunt. And the perp lives close to harlem or in harlem which has faced an uptick in gentrification. I put blame on economics for this event which took place. The city needs to do better job with its money and services on how to help out people.

What is sad about this situation is that the victim is also a social justice activist who wants to bring change and equity to those he feel marginalized. This is real sad. My heart really goes out. Not only that. This story brings out memories of central park 5 incident which took place exactly 30 years ago not too far away
Where was it said she was a social justice warrior? Nothing about the victims politics were mentioned in the news reports. Not everyone at Barnard or Columbia is a social justice warrior or leftist or whatever.

What's sad is that an 18 year old was murdered period.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 PM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post

Why are you saying that the victim IS a social justice warrior? At most, you might say that she WAS that (although I understand her particular cause was only feminism), since she IS no longer alive. According to the reports, during her last moments she was not blaming gentrification and economics "for this event", but was frantically fighting for her life while being held in a chokehold and repeatedly stabbed while feathers were flying out of her jacket (she managed to bite one of the attackers on the hand). The city needs to do a better job of monitoring, arresting, and appropriately sentencing criminals (including juveniles) before they graduate from lesser offenses to murder. Using gentrification as a justification for murder is really the new low in "activist" idiocy.

Not sure where the saying originates that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. I assume we will know eventually the opinion of the family whose 18 year old daughter has been far worse than mugged.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:24 PM

85 posts, read 104,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I was waiting for someone to see this side. Every kid that is involved in Tessa's death ruined their life when they ended her's.
Their lives were already ruined. No father in the picture...probably dead or in prison. This scum grows up on the street...what do you think is not to happen? The system is to blame here. A system that rewards single mothers and delinquency

Old 12-14-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Why are you saying that the victim IS a social justice warrior? At most, you might say that she WAS that (although I understand her particular cause was only feminism), since she IS no longer alive. According to the reports, during her last moments she was not blaming gentrification and economics "for this event", but was frantically fighting for her life while being held in a chokehold and repeatedly stabbed while feathers were flying out of her jacket (she managed to bite one of the attackers on the hand). The city needs to do a better job of monitoring, arresting, and appropriately sentencing criminals (including juveniles) before they graduate from lesser offenses to murder. Using gentrification as a justification for murder is really the new low in "activist" idiocy.

Not sure where the saying originates that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. I assume we will know eventually the opinion of the family whose 18 year old daughter has been far worse than mugged.
In education we call it the school to prison pipeline. You can pick out the conditions at HOME and at SCHOOL that will create such children.

And yes, the city needs to identify problem cases and appropriately deal with them while they are much younger. But not just the city, the public.

If people knew this 13 year old was getting high on weed (and potentially other drugs) all the time, they could have reported his AUNT to ACS.

Don't expect things like that to happen in the housing projects though, that are dominated by gangsters. If people find out you tell on them that can be the end of you.

Really the city just needs to end the housing projects.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianleo777 View Post
Their lives were already ruined. No father in the picture...probably dead or in prison. This scum grows up on the street...what do you think is not to happen? The system is to blame here. A system that rewards single mothers and delinquency
Yes. And if people wanted to change it, the problem could be ENDED. Getting people to want to seriously change things is hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City