Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 11:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Many American teens work. I see many teens working in stores and all sorts of places.

This kids parents failed him.
Due to labor laws, I seriously doubt many kids under 16 will work because businesses can be severely penalized, and it's not worth the paperwork.. Honestly a lot of businesses won't hire people under 18.

You really don't see teens working that much across the city, unless they are legal teens. 18 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 12:27 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times
they voided the charges against the 13 year old and are looking for two 14 year olds who stabbed and choked the girl. the 13 yo, told DT’s the truth which they were able to verify through surveillance cameras

Old 12-15-2019, 03:31 AM

450 posts, read 475,066 times
Snitching goes over well in the hood

Old 12-15-2019, 03:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Snitching goes over well in the hood
People snitch in the hood as much as anywhere else. They claim they're not snitches until things get real.
This 13 year old in question ratted out his friends right away

Old 12-15-2019, 03:56 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Millions of people listen to hip hop and death metal, screamo, and emo (which in my opinion can be more visceral and more likely to make someone kill) and don’t stab or shoot people.
True. It's not about music but about social ills.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 AM

450 posts, read 475,066 times
Point of my post is that he'd get off easier taking the hit and going through our joke of a system than snitching on his friends. He'll have to move and even so, word travels fast.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:37 AM

59 posts, read 34,805 times
This coverage would NOT happen if she was a student of Bronx Community or Hostos Community College CUNY. Must keep the Columbia/Barnard people happy. There has been conflicts between the communities for decades. Many believe he did not do it (i.e.Exhonorated five)

Old 12-15-2019, 07:50 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I said social justice activist and not warrior. I find the warrior aspect very offensive. In this situation. Economics and social factors are the reason why stuff like this happens. Pleased stop gas lighting

Since I am a bit older and not familiar with modern activist jargon, I had to look up "gas lighting"... apparently it means manipulating. Since somebody else on the thread mentioned "social justice warrior", I just picked it up, not realizing that it is different from activist (or somehow offensive... 75% of all words are now offensive, ie, only the activist jargon is not offensive).

So you think I am manipulating when I say that economics is not a reason for murder? Well, I came to the US 36 years ago on a student (ie, non-immigrant) visa, not eligible for any of the ample social services that the US generously offers to its own citizens including these kids and their families (more so than pretty much any other country in the world). I can guarantee you that these kids had a phone, heating and hot water - something I did not have for my first two years in the US. I remained poor for many years in the US, while getting a training, and while being very uncertain how and where I would end up. It never occurred to me to stab anyone. So, I don't accept it that the cause of this murder is economic. Social factors, yes, you are right on that one - social factors such as the culture that fully accepts and glamorizes crime, and NY laws that protect this culture. Those are contributing causes, but the direct cause of this murder is that two 14 year olds decided to kill someone, and then stabbed her many times with a knife. While a contributing cause is social, the direct and most important cause of this murder is highly personal: that two persons (of an age at which a person understands what it means to kill) decided to kill another person.

The family should sue the makers of the laws that protect violent crime in NY. The kids shouldget the maximum possible sentence.

Last edited by elnrgby; 12-15-2019 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-15-2019, 08:32 AM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Since I am a bit older and not familiar with modern activist jargon, I had to look up "gas lighting"... apparently it means manipulating. Since somebody else on the thread mentioned "social justice warrior", I just picked it up, not realizing that it is different from activist (or somehow offensive... 75% of all words are now offensive, ie, only the activist jargon is not offensive).

So you think I am manipulating when I say that economics is not a reason for murder? Well, I came to the US 36 years ago on a student (ie, non-immigrant) visa, not eligible for any of the ample social services that the US generously offers to its own citizens including these kids and their families (more so than pretty much any other country in the world). I can guarantee you that these kids had a phone, heating and hot water - something I did not have for my first two years in the US. I remained poor for many years in the US, while getting a training, and while being very uncertain how and where I would end up. It never occurred to me to stab anyone. So, I don't accept it that the cause of this murder is economic. Social factors, yes, you are right on that one - social factors such as the culture that fully accepts and glamorizes crime, and NY laws that protect this culture. Those are contributing causes, but the direct cause of this murder is that two 14 year olds decided to kill someone, and then stabbed her many times with a knife. While a contributing cause is social, the direct and most important cause of this murder is highly personal: that two persons (of an age at which a person understands what it means to kill) decided to kill another person.

The family should sue the makers of the laws that protect violent crime in NY. The kids shouldget the maximum possible sentence.
I agree with you. The family should sue the city of NY for what happened. Sadly stuff like tbis with whatever programs for the less fortunate that exist.

Last time I heard of a gruesome knife murder was with that Dominican boy in the Bronx that got jumped and knifed by a gang which made national headlines. Most nyc murder never make national headlines. Tessa may be murder is also making national headlines.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:36 AM

588 posts, read 947,792 times
In this current environment, the perps will probably get a slap on the wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City