Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 04:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
And what writing is it?

Statistics show that crime went down 10% from the time DeBlaz was elected in 2014:

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...-2000-2018.pdf

He's a popular punching bag mayor(mine included), but so far he's overseen an overall reduction in crime across seven categories, from the time you moved to the boring suburbia.

There is a lot of homeless that anyone who gets out will notice, and there are warning signs here and there about the fact that a lot of people need mental health. I'll give you that.
It seems to be going up. There are some pretty high profile homicides and attacks lately.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...gs-11570493861

According to the NYPD, homicides and shootings are up, especially in Upper Manhattan and Northern Brooklyn.

85dumbo was right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 04:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 674,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Where are the Social Justice Warriors? As a black man, we need more Bernie Goetzs to pick off some of these hoodlums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It seems to be going up. There are some pretty high profile homicides and attacks lately.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...gs-11570493861

According to the NYPD, homicides and shootings are up, especially in Upper Manhattan and Northern Brooklyn.

85dumbo was right.

Yeah, your own article says the murder rise is 1% year over year. One murder is one too many, nobody is arguing this. But 1% is not a real trend in the grand scheme of things, one way or another.

The numbers are out there for anyone to see.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 2,953,110 times
Why isn’t anyone talking about the culture that these kids grow up in.?
The hip hop *** it all I’ll get Mine no matter what ideas.
These kids listen to Music that glorifies the life style.

I can promise you that kids who followed Grateful Dead back in the day didn’t rob and steal to follow the band. That’s just a small example.
Hip hop as primal as it is, does a lot of damage giving small kids stupid ideas which are not realistic in life. Factor in stupid parents and you got animals this young doing stupid crap all day long.
It comes from lack of understanding how life works. Lack of understanding for love, care, compassion, sacrifice. There is hardly a difference from this type of a kids and an animals. Well there is. An animal kills to eat and survive, these kids kill for a status.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:46 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

I can promise you that kids who followed Grateful Dead back in the day didn’t rob and steal to follow the band. That’s just a small example.
Hip hop as primal as it is, does a lot of damage giving small kids stupid ideas which are not realistic in life. Factor in stupid parents and you got animals this young doing stupid crap all day long.
It comes from lack of understanding how life works. Lack of understanding for love, care, compassion, sacrifice. There is hardly a difference from this type of a kids and an animals. Well there is. An animal kills to eat and survive, these kids kill for a status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCaKb8El5S8

Old 12-14-2019, 06:53 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,445,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Why are you saying that the victim IS a social justice warrior? At most, you might say that she WAS that (although I understand her particular cause was only feminism), since she IS no longer alive. According to the reports, during her last moments she was not blaming gentrification and economics "for this event", but was frantically fighting for her life while being held in a chokehold and repeatedly stabbed while feathers were flying out of her jacket (she managed to bite one of the attackers on the hand). The city needs to do a better job of monitoring, arresting, and appropriately sentencing criminals (including juveniles) before they graduate from lesser offenses to murder. Using gentrification as a justification for murder is really the new low in "activist" idiocy.

Not sure where the saying originates that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. I assume we will know eventually the opinion of the family whose 18 year old daughter has been far worse than mugged.
I said social justice activist and not warrior. I find the warrior aspect very offensive. In this situation. Economics and social factors are the reason why stuff like this happens. Pleased stop gas lighting

Old 12-14-2019, 07:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post

I’m not sure getting rid of hip hop does anything fit the socioeconomic factors involved such as a concentration together of permanently unemployed or underemployed people with low levels of education.

So long as the city maintains high levels of welfare housing this will continue to happen.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
I’m not sure getting rid of hip hop does anything fit the socioeconomic factors involved such as a concentration together of permanently unemployed or underemployed people with low levels of education.

So long as the city maintains high levels of welfare housing this will continue to happen.
Yeah it's not about the music. Narcoterrorists listen to accordion music and still commmit tons of crime

Old 12-14-2019, 09:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
It did happen, hence the whole Central Park 5 thing
Crime will happen where there are lots of people. Its natural in a free society like ours. At least the Central Park 5 turned out to be a wrong conviction. It was not some teens who committed the act unlike in this modern day equivalent.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:12 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
His mother was DEAD, his father either absent or possibly DEAD, and quite clearly his aunt did not really care for him (probably only took him in to get money from the government and didn't really want him around).

The problem is not weed or drug use.

Oh, and broken families have been normalized in slums and in the housing projects for decades. So has carrying weapons. It's a pretty violent and screwed up society.

Kids like him do indeed kill people all the time, this just shocked people because the murder victim was a young promising white woman at Barnard.

It's easy to put the blame on drugs, but much harder to come up with a plan on what to do with unwanted children. That was the problem.

And it is relevant that lots of teens are out smoking weed in Spain. They don't kill people. They will get weed money by selling it to each other. Or teens here work. I see kids here younger than 13 working in their parents restaurants, and I've seen teenagers here work on farms. So they have money for their weed.

American teens used to work, but not the case anymore, and certainly not in the hood.
Many American teens work. I see many teens working in stores and all sorts of places.

This kids parents failed him.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:17 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah it's not about the music. Narcoterrorists listen to accordion music and still commmit tons of crime
Millions of people listen to hip hop and death metal, screamo, and emo (which in my opinion can be more visceral and more likely to make someone kill) and don’t stab or shoot people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City