Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2019, 09:30 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
If it was drug deal gone bad, these young dealers need to learn some economics 101.

How they gonna make $$ if you stab your customers?

College kids buying MJ with parent's money is more profitable then selling crack to crackheads. Especially with this good economy. Trump needs to have federal intiative to educate these inner city youngster on better business dealings.
Perhaps I missed something, but I don't think that it's exactly clear whether the kids who stabbed her were actually the drug dealers themselves.

She may have been on her way to buy some weed, and then just ran across them and they decided to stick her up.

Either way, if she was actually in the park looking to score drugs, then she is partially at fault--like it or not drugs for dealers and buyers is an UGLY game. There are no rules and when you're buying or selling them there are unmitigated risks involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 09:41 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldh View Post
This case is very sad. But it only proves why marijuana should be legal. Almost half of america has smoked weed at one point in their lives. Weed is plentiful even with the war on "drugs" but underground. People are forced to go into shady areas or deal with cartel funded drug dealers to get their weed. It makes no sense when in other states you can simply walk in a store buy it and leave. The war on drugs really had nothing to do with "drugs" and had to do with racial motivations. Enough is enough.
I disagree, people aren't "forced" to do anything, they choose to engage in nefarious black market trades and generally speaking they understand the risks in doing so. By your logic we should just legalize all vices (drugs, prostitution etc etc) and the crimes that are linked to them would come to an end. But that isn't the case

Take prescription medication pain killers and psychotropic medications for example--you can obtain them legally right? But do people still go into the black market to obtain them? Yup. Do people still get robbed, beaten, ripped off etc etc while obtaining them? They sure do.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:53 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,401,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Just for the record, the term "gaslighting" is not related to social justice and it's an old American slang term. It was used in the 1944 movie, Gaslight. It's a type of manipulation, but really refers to when someone tries to convince someone else that something that really did happen, did not happen, thereby making someone to become full of self-doubt.

Thank you for that piece of history :-). The word certainly has not been in common use for 3.6 decades during which I have been in the US, and must have been resurrected relatively recently. At any rate, I am not trying to manipulatively convince anyone that something happened that didn't happen, thereby making anyone to become full of self-doubt. I am just offering my opinion about reasons why this thing happened. Even after learning the definition of "gaslighting", I am not sure why the other poster thought I was gaslighting, and I can't fully follow the poster's logic overall.

Anyway, I just also want to add that this case shows why "broken windows policing" is warranted: because of frequent association of certain behaviors (eg, MJ retail) with serious crime. As the poster from California said, selling MJ is completely legal in CA, yet it tends to be associated with a lot of other stuff that is criminal. It always seemed to me that the only point of the "war on drugs" was in fact the control of serious crime associated with it, because in reality nobody really cares about drugs (unless your pilot or your surgeon is taking them while working). Any way you approach the murder of this young woman, I think it supports allowing much greater police activity in NYC (including "broken windows"), and more serious sentences for serious offenders as well as for habitual non-violent offenders (because of the risk that they will graduate to stabbing, as the precocious young talents from this latest story already achieved at 14).

Also, I find it mindblowing that there even exists, in the 21st century, any human culture on this planet in which "snitching" is regarded as a greater moral transgression than killing, particularly in a 13-year old! The goal of any civilized society should be to erase such a culture as thoroughly as we have erased smallpox.

Old 12-16-2019, 09:54 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Perhaps I missed something, but I don't think that it's exactly clear whether the kids who stabbed her were actually the drug dealers themselves.

She may have been on her way to buy some weed, and then just ran across them and they decided to stick her up.

Either way, if she was actually in the park looking to score drugs, then she is partially at fault--like it or not drugs for dealers and buyers is an UGLY game. There are no rules and when you're buying or selling them there are unmitigated risks involved.
Yes, I think that's probably the most likely scenario, too. Figured she was in the park, she had cash.

Just sad that at least one of them was a loose nut. They could easily have knocked her down and taken her money. Stabbing wasn't necessary.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:00 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I think that's probably the most likely scenario, too. Figured she was in the park, she had cash.

Just sad that at least one of them was a loose nut. They could easily have knocked her down and taken her money. Stabbing wasn't necessary.

If thats the case, then Deblasio must go.

Whats the city coming to when privileged white kids can't buy MJ safely in the park anymore?

Old 12-16-2019, 10:05 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
If thats the case, then Deblasio must go.

Whats the city coming to when privileged white kids can't buy MJ safely in the park anymore?
Just sparked a memory of back in the '80s when Washington Heights was a drive-through for North Jersey people to get coke. A friend of mine went in, scored an eight-ball, and got stopped by a cop. He took what she just bought and then told her to get out of the city and buy her drugs in Jersey. She yelled back at him, "I don't know where to get drugs in New Jersey!" She said the cop laughed, pocketed her blow and waved her away.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:18 AM

874 posts, read 454,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
[. . .] the little animal had managed to tie one of the girls to a chair with a jump-rope, and was threatening to kill her with scissors. The boy (6 years old) was hastily removed and institutionalized. I encountered him later as a teenager. At that point he was a very private, quiet, polite kid, and a competitive skier --- He ended up in a respectable profession, which does include mildly torturing other people, but entirely for their own good and for improvement of their health. So, in some cases it is possible to scare a kid out of that behavior - if not, the kid should be permanently removed from the normal human society

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
So, in some cases it is possible to scare a kid out of that behavior
you don't really believe that do you ? He’s still the same (diseased-minded, sick, psychopathic NUT) he was when he was 6. at 6, if he displayed these thoughts & actions --- it was a pre-cursor to his adult state of mind. A NUT. i bet he still wants to.....do what he did when he was 6............ "I'm 5,000 % sure." (to use a quote from some other (greedy sociopath/psychopath NUT) Dalia Dippolito....

Old 12-16-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
We have the police force, but their hands are tied! Unless they literally see serious violent crime happening in front of them, they can't do anything. Can't stop and frisk. Can't stop farebeaters (and really, you think the muggers coming downtown or into the subways paid for the privilege of entering in order to mug people?) Can't stop people getting high in public. Can't stop people for carrying small amounts of drugs It's racist to stop farebeaters and petty criminals and check them for weapons, and charge them. It leads to them (gasp) coming into contact with the criminal justice system, which always has a bad outcome for them. Of course, it is what made the city safer for ALL law-abiding citizens, of ALL races, but that's not important.

Yes! All of that is correct. Great posts, both this one and the other that the other posters quoted. There is all this insane uproar about minor police-imposed inconveniences such as "stop & frisk" being a violation of freedom... but what about inability to walk around the city after dark without being stabbed, isn't THAT a violation of freedom? I am quite certain that this young woman would herself much rather have chosen to be stopped & frisked by cops (and fined if her MJ possession was within the realm of illegal in NY), than stabbed & killed by kids who were exercising their cultural freedom.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post

you don't really believe that do you ? He’s still the same (diseased-minded, sick, psychopathic NUT) he was when he was 6. at 6, if he displayed these thoughts & actions --- it was a pre-cursor to his adult state of mind. A NUT. i bet he still wants to.....do what he did when he was 6............ "I'm 5,000 % sure." (to use a quote from some other (greedy sociopath/psychopath NUT) Dalia Dippolito....

No, I don't believe it is possible to make an empath out of a psychopath, and I do believe that little Robbie from my story is now still a 60 year old psychopath at the bottom of his troubled mind... BUT, I do believe that it is possible to convey it to some psychopaths that they will be permanently locked up or killed (my home country did have capital punishment) if they act on their violent impulses - and many psychopaths are sufficiently scared of punishment that they will stay within socially acceptable boundaries for the rest of their life. Maybe Robbie has taken up painting watercolors of gruesome murders for his private pleasure, but he has never done anything violent to anyone in the 54 years after that kindergarten episode. Oh btw, and everyone in Robbie's social circle knows what he did on one occasion as a kid - that stuff is not kept confidential or sealed over there. That, in and of itself, is a protective measure against him.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:34 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
why can't we focus on science?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City