Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2019, 08:39 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBXgal View Post
This coverage would NOT happen if she was a student of Bronx Community or Hostos Community College CUNY. Must keep the Columbia/Barnard people happy. There has been conflicts between the communities for decades. Many believe he did not do it (i.e.Exhonorated five)
I remember some years ago a CUNY grad student from John Jay college made national headlines when she went missing and her body was found in Brooklyn. She too was from another state. Coverage will happen if one went to a lesser known college, but it's about making national headlines and international headlines.

Overall the past few days have not been a great week for msm and activist media outlets such as Democracy now and vice news when it comes to Tessa majors and jersey city mass shooting. MSM mainly virtue signals for marginalized like urban poor black Americans, while activist media champions for black lives. With these two events happening, both forms of media are trying their best to downplay and focus on trumps impeachment. What I see in the next decade ahead is that through the negative feedback loop, the masses will reject activist jargon from the universities due to events that happened recently. Unless some activist or a an academic can pinpoint and blame on white supremacy is the real cause for this.

How do I know this? I'm in the circles of such types of people.

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 12-15-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgarbage View Post
Point of my post is that he'd get off easier taking the hit and going through our joke of a system than snitching on his friends. He'll have to move and even so, word travels fast.
There are no repercussions for snitching anymore. Rapper 6ix9ine is the biggest snitch in rap history, and he will likely go back to his career like nothing ever happened.
Plenty of old time gangsters snitched and never got hurt because of it. Such as Henry Hill.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:12 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
In this current environment, the perps will probably get a slap on the wrist.

That is the root of the problem. The family should sue the politicians/lawmakers who pander to, and are helping to uphold, the "current environment" in which certain types of people can mug and kill with impunity, because that is allegedly a normal part of their culture. The family of the victim should sue de Blasio, to create a legal precedent that would prevent blossoming of lawlessness (in the guise of protecting some people's culture) in the future. Again, monitoring, arresting, and sentencing of criminals in NY needs to be tightened up, WAY up. Prevention of crime is not a limitation of freedom - preventing this young woman from living past the age of 18 is, very much so.

Hopefully the kids will be sentenced as adults. Adult crime, adult time. I don't see much similarity with the crime in Central Park 30 years ago (when thousands of losers would gather to chant "her boyfriend did it" before any facts were established at all, as I vividly remember - but neither side seemed to have much interest in establishing facts in that case) - eg, information relevant to this new crime was caught on security cameras (thank goodness, they are not outlawed yet for the purpose of protecting any loser "culture").

Incidentally, I am myself one of those who miss the old NYC and its particular culture grounded in stark reality, but that culture never idolized crime. Anyone can go to the library and look up the archived issues of The New Yorker between the 1920s and 1980s. That is the old New York which I miss, and that is (or was? gone forever?) the actual culture of NYC.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:21 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
Some posters here imply that this tragic story went ballistic only because the victim is a young white girl. Pure crap.

People get killed every day and it seldom gets more than a brief note in the local paper. This story is in every newspaper and on every TV station in the US and probably all over the world because the killers were 13-14 year old males. Their color doesn't matter, but their age does.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:40 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Some posters here imply that this tragic story went ballistic only because the victim is a young white girl. Pure crap.

People get killed every day and it seldom gets more than a brief note in the local paper. This story is in every newspaper and on every TV station in the US and probably all over the world because the killers were 13-14 year old males. Their color doesn't matter, but their age does.

Race is why this story made headlines. If it was a girl form the hood, it would not have made headlines.

White girl gets stabbed in the gentrifying columbia area is going to affect tourism dollars and midwest and southern parents won't send their kids to NYC.

That's revenue generation for the city.

comrade deblasio wants the 70s back, the state to take control, and put you in a concentration camp like the uighyers and tibeteans in china if you disagree with him.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:57 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post

I'm surprised this story made national headlines. I wonder If this story will be called the crime of the century.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:34 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I'm surprised this story made national headlines. I wonder If this story will be called the crime of the century.
I'm not. But is it int'l news? That would surprise me. But since it's Columbia/Barnard...maybe not. Ditto if it was NYU or any other high profile school attracting int'l students. Perhaps, that is the rub. It also doesn't hurt it happened in Manhattan which itself has an int'l rep. Throw in the race factor, age factor, socio/economic factor, DeBlasio/Dem factor...all this makes the perfect storm. But...crime of the century?? I don't think so.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:38 AM

555 posts, read 617,324 times
this would be huge news regardless of race, its not everyday a group of 13 year olds boys murder a college student at 5pm.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:03 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
this would be huge news regardless of race, its not everyday a group of 13 year olds boys murder a college student at 5pm.
Looks like Tessa was trying to buy some mary jane....

https://nypost.com/2019/12/15/tessa-...sident-claims/

Old 12-15-2019, 12:07 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I'm not. But is it int'l news? That would surprise me. But since it's Columbia/Barnard...maybe not. Ditto if it was NYU or any other high profile school attracting int'l students. Perhaps, that is the rub. It also doesn't hurt it happened in Manhattan which itself has an int'l rep. Throw in the race factor, age factor, socio/economic factor, DeBlasio/Dem factor...all this makes the perfect storm. But...crime of the century?? I don't think so.

We don't know yet what will be the crime of the century (the century is still relatively young)... that may depend mostly upon its legal impact. I also think that the news intensity of this case is due to the combination of all the factors, the most important of which is that a Columbia student was murdered practically on campus. I think that her being white is not the main factor (some time ago, not very long ago, a young white female tourist, I think from Germany but am not entirely sure, was dragged in a back alley/ robbed/ beaten/ raped by a black guy somewhere in Harlem, around 3 am or so. The whole thing was captured on camera, some of the video (just the beginning of the attack, not the goriest part) was posted online. It barely made any news at all - possibly because unfortunately nobody except evidently the victim would have been surprised about that happening in that area of NYC and that time of the night).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City