Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 10:50 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times

Advertisements

This entire thread can be closed if the OP could only wrap his head around the fact that correlation does not mean causation. There are places in the world with very low gun ownership with low crime rates too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 11:15 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I completely agree with you. Ditto for Wyoming. In Texas, the members of a church killed a gunman who wanted to do a massacre. He could have killed the whole church if they had to wait for the police to arrive 30 minutes later.
The guy who took down the church shooter was not an ordinary citizen with a gun permit. He was ex-police or something and had had extensive training and experience in how to deal with such situations properly under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But yes, it is poverty, desperation, and mental illness that causes crime. However we can fix that while still letting people defend themselves in case. It not cost tax payer any money to let people arm themselves unless of course govt wants a piece of the business.
Don't leave substance abuse off your list of causes of crime. Another massive problem not being properly dealt with.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:47 AM

874 posts, read 454,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Law Abiding Citizens in NYC Should Arm Themselves.

Brrrrrrrr. i vote "no."

every day on the news….a hoodie guy with his ‘illegal’ gun for.......no good reason. for example, as seen on the news, a 16 yr old gang member pops off a few with his ‘illegal’ gun into a crowd in broad daylight… and walks scot free….

Old 01-01-2020, 01:51 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The guy who took down the church shooter was not an ordinary citizen with a gun permit. He was ex-police or something and had had extensive training and experience in how to deal with such situations properly under pressure.

Don't leave substance abuse off your list of causes of crime. Another massive problem not being properly dealt with.
He was a former FBI agent. It has a clean head shot to the next life...

Old 01-02-2020, 12:41 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You need to really research and compare those areas. Also, i never said anything about isolation. I was highlighting the lack of space in NYC. People living on top of each other sort of speak. Add the current population + 40 million annual tourist + illegal residents + outside workers who commute to NYC for work, etc. I don't believe that there is another city that has the diversity of NYC in terms of race, religion, sexual orientation, class, etc.

Dallas
Density 3,876/sq mi
Population 1,197,816
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas

Houston
Density 3,502/sq mi
Population 2,099,451
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston

NYC
Density 27,751/sq mi
Population 8,175,133
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City
I already mention density. I dont think density should be a matter. The govt probably did use density as a reason to take away gun rights, but still dont think it should matter. No one forces anyone to be in this city. If they feel density presents issues with self defense, they can leave/avoid the density.

I am not sure what diversity has to do with it. If you either feel that density will make firearms ineffective, or risk too much collateral damage, I already posted that vid. As for collateral damage, well, you cant have everything perfect. I still dont think that is reason to keep people from their 2nd amendment. Businesses, Coop/Condo Board, LL can still stipulate whether they allow firearms on private property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
This entire thread can be closed if the OP could only wrap his head around the fact that correlation does not mean causation. There are places in the world with very low gun ownership with low crime rates too.
True but we are a gun country.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:27 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
it is to the point i don't even want to debate the pros and cons of gun control ...

all i care about is what i need to do .

Old 01-02-2020, 02:58 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is to the point i don't even want to debate the pros and cons of gun control ...

all i care about is what i need to do .
Yup. Gun laws are all unconstitutional, so I operate in that realm how I personally decide that I want to, both on and off duty. Has worked for me well so far.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-02-2020, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Yup. Gun laws are all unconstitutional, so I operate in that realm how I personally decide that I want to, both on and off duty. Has worked for me well so far.
so if you caught a citizen carrying poorly and you could make them out while on duty because there were tell tail signs , what would you do ?

many times i can pin someone carrying because they are sloppy at it .

would you uphold the law or turn a blind eye ? or prefer not to answer ?

Old 01-02-2020, 04:29 AM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Only perps garner my attention. Otherwise law-abiding people observing the 2nd Amendment aren’t breaking the law of the land.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-02-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Only perps garner my attention. Otherwise law-abiding people observing the 2nd Amendment aren’t breaking the law of the land.
well you can't always tell good from bad ...

we were in an Italian restaurant by kennedy airport ... i could pin these guys carrying from across the room .

i doubt they were law abiding citizens but with out confronting them one would not know for sure . so as a cop i would have to decide here what to do . what if i did check and they were not a bad guy .... then what do ya do with the unlicensed carry .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City