Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 12:25 PM

528 posts, read 711,667 times

Advertisements

Say I buy a Tarrytown -> GCT monthly pass . Are any of these trips valid:

Tarrytown -> Yonkers
Dobbs Ferry -> Yonkers
Tarrytown -> Ossining ( opposite direction )

I am guessing the first two are ok, but not the third? Or does the pass work by number of zones only?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Say I buy a Tarrytown -> GCT monthly pass . Are any of these trips valid:

Tarrytown -> Yonkers
Dobbs Ferry -> Yonkers
Tarrytown -> Ossining ( opposite direction )

I am guessing the first two are ok, but not the third? Or does the pass work by number of zones only?
The pass works by the number of zones. Just buy a pass that covers the zones you need, and you will be fine traveling in either direction. For example, you mentioned Grand Central and Ossining. If you wanted to go from Grand Central to Croton Harmon, your monthly pass would cover that because Ossining is in the same zone as Croton Harmon, so you would be fine. This Hudson Line fare chart should clarify everything for you:

mta.info | MTA Metro-North Railroad Schedules

You could also use the Hudson Line pass on the Harlem Line or the New Haven Line, as long as the value of the pass covers the cost of the zone that would be going in.

To clarify though, let's say you bought a ticket from Croton Harmon to Grand Central. You could use ALL of the stations in any combination up to the zone that includes Croton Harmon and you would be fine. However, if say you wanted to go from Ossining to Poughkeepsie in either direction, you would have to pay the difference in price.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
To clarify though, let's say you bought a ticket from Croton Harmon to Grand Central. You could use ALL of the stations in any combination up to the zone that includes Croton Harmon and you would be fine. However, if say you wanted to go from Ossining to Poughkeepsie in either direction, you would have to pay the difference in price.

Good to know it works only by number of zones and I can use on any line on any stops within the same zone range.. Sounds too good to be true!

However, in your example I believe I could go from Ossining to Poughkeepsie. It appears to be same number of zones and Tarrytown to Grand Central.. Or am I missing something?

Old 01-19-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Good to know it works only by number of zones and I can use on any line on any stops within the same zone range.. Sounds too good to be true!

However, in your example I believe I could go from Ossining to Poughkeepsie. It appears to be same number of zones and Tarrytown to Grand Central.. Or am I missing something?

My point was if you buy a monthly pass from say Grand Central to Tarrytown and needed to go to a station NORTH of Tarrytown, you could do so WITHOUT paying more all the way to Croton Harmon. You would pay $322.00 regardless, so any of the stops from Grand Central to Croton Harmon could be used. Show the pass, the conductor will see the zone and ask what stop you are getting off to confirm that you don’t need to pay a step up charge. You could not go from Ossining to Poughkeepsie without paying a step up charge because after Croton Harmon, there’s another zone. You would have to get a ride extension and pay the difference.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

You could also use the Hudson Line pass on the Harlem Line or the New Haven Line, as long as the value of the pass covers the cost of the zone that would be going in.

Can anyone confirm this is true? Sounds a bit too good to be true :-) If it is true, I would just buy a ticket for the additional zones I may be travelling on the other lines? For example to go from GCT to New Haven, I would show my Tarrytown pass, then show my ticket from Greenwich to New Haven?

Old 02-10-2020, 09:25 AM

134 posts, read 250,798 times
Quote:
Can anyone confirm this is true? Sounds a bit too good to be true :-) If it is true, I would just buy a ticket for the additional zones I may be travelling on the other lines? For example to go from GCT to New Haven, I would show my Tarrytown pass, then show my ticket from Greenwich to New Haven?
No he is correct. When you have a monthly ticket. It works by Zones so a Tarrytown ticket would be valid for unlimited trips between Croton Harmon (which is the same zone as Tarrytown) to Grand Central and any stops in between.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
No he is correct. When you have a monthly ticket. It works by Zones so a Tarrytown ticket would be valid for unlimited trips between Croton Harmon (which is the same zone as Tarrytown) to Grand Central and any stops in between.

Yes, that I get, but he said it can be used on other lines also like New Haven/Harlem line. Harlem line has same zones as Hudson, but New Haven has different zones.. How far would my Tarrytown monthly take me on New Haven line before I need an additional ticket?

Old 02-10-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, that I get, but he said it can be used on other lines also like New Haven/Harlem line. Harlem line has same zones as Hudson, but New Haven has different zones.. How far would my Tarrytown monthly take me on New Haven line before I need an additional ticket?
It's pretty straight forward. Each zone has a cost. For example, if you bought a monthly ticket on the Harlem line from say Woodlawn to Grand Central, your ticket would easily cover you on the Hudson Line and the Harlem line up to zone 2 because the price is exactly the same so anywhere in zone 2 you traveled on the Harlem or Hudson Line wouldn't matter.

http://web.mta.info/mnr/html/faresAp...s_apr2019.html

The New Haven line works a bit different because up until recently, the New Haven trains did not pick up customers in the Bronx - now they do. What would happen for New Haven trips is the following.

If you got on at say Fordham and your monthly pass or ticket covered you up to say zone 2, you would pay a ride extension to whatever zone you were going to on the New Haven Line (this would also be true of the Hudson or Harlem lines because after zone 2 you would also need a ride extension, since your pass or ticket would only cover you up to zone 2 in the scenario I provided). The New Haven Line is a bit more complicated, but as you can see the Hudson and Harlem Lines are pretty straight forward. If you bought a monthly pass or a ticket from Tarrytown to Grand Central, it would cover any trip on the Harlem or Hudson line from zone 5 down. I believe they look at the value of your ticket.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:19 PM

Thanks, this makes sense. I just worry not all conductors will be "hip" with this info.

So it seems like Tarrytown - GCT is five zones. On New Haven line five zones would get me to Greenwich . So to get to New Haven, I would need to buy a ticket from Greenwich to New Haven. Or do I just buy this ride extension directly from the conductor? See:

MNR Fares and Schedules

Old 02-10-2020, 06:25 PM

34,036 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
Weekly tickets also work by zones.

I go from Milford-Harlem daily, but if I have weekly or monthly pass, I may ride to GCT , no extra charge, as it and Harlem are one zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City