Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:54 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,244,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The reasons for the ban could be as valid as you say. But you asked me to provide an example and I did. Do you think the Nigerian americans affected by this policy will be MORE inclined to support the GOP now?
So you think the U.S. government should only do things to make people support the GOP or DNC?

You are such a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 10:04 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,536,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
So you think the U.S. government should only do things to make people support the GOP or DNC?

You are such a waste of time.
Why is everyone so mad at me? I'm trying to help you guys. How do you expect the GOP to attract voters other than white people - which any NYC mayoral candidate would have to do - if you won't listen to their reasons why they aren't interested in voting for the GOP?

Old 02-03-2020, 10:18 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,244,266 times
Quote:
Why is everyone so mad at me? I'm trying to help you guys. How do you expect the GOP to attract voters other than white people - which any NYC mayoral candidate would have to do - if you won't listen to their reasons why they aren't interested in voting for the GOP?
No one is made at you. We are debating your shaky claims because that is what this forum is about, discussion.

Unlike the Democrats, the GOP does things that are for the betterment of the country (no, they haven’t always done that in the past). The Democrats are now doing things to harvest votes (like you are suggesting the GOP should be doing) and to stay in power, even if it means hurting the city/country.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:20 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,420,443 times
Quote:
Well, I can only speak for myself, and I can definitely listen to reason, but when you start telling me that:

- the way to deal with crime is to show "understanding" for criminals,

- the way to deal with poverty is to show "empathy" for people who have numerous kids they can't support, starting at the age they can't even figure out how to support themselves in the future,

- the way to be socially responsible is to pay 50% of my (very very very hard-earned) income in the form of taxes, in order to support someone else who does not work, and in order to support her 5 kids even though I myself have no kids (as I did not think I could adequately support them when I was myself young and poor),

- and since the majority of criminals, poor people and personally irresponsible people in NYC are statistically non-white, then the only way to show inclusion of non-white people in the society is to support crime, poverty and transfer of money from the workers to non-workers,

then, sorry, you are losing me with that kind of "reasons".

Old 02-03-2020, 10:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,536,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Well, I can only speak for myself, and I can definitely listen to reason, but when you start telling me that:

- the way to deal with crime is to show "understanding" for criminals,

- the way to deal with poverty is to show "empathy" for people who have numerous kids they can't support, starting at the age they can't even figure out how to support themselves in the future,

- the way to be socially responsible is to pay 50% of my (very very very hard-earned) income in the form of taxes, in order to support someone else who does not work, and in order to support her 5 kids even though I myself have no kids (as I did not think I could adequately support them when I was myself young and poor),

- and since the majority of criminals, poor people and personally irresponsible people in NYC are statistically non-white, then the only way to show inclusion of non-white people in the society is to support crime, poverty and transfer of money from the workers to non-workers,

then, sorry, you are losing me with that kind of "reasons".
Right well nobody was talking about asking you to vote Democrat. The topic at hand is electing a GOP mayor of NYC, which will not be possible unless the party makes changes. But I digress , may the trumpian echo chamber commence and may everyone enjoy this beautiful day on earth

Old 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM

8,395 posts, read 4,420,443 times
Quote:
Right well nobody was talking about asking you to vote Democrat. The topic at hand is electing a GOP mayor of NYC, which will not be possible unless the party makes changes. But I digress , may the trumpian echo chamber commence and may everyone enjoy this beautiful day on earth
I did not vote for Trump (I did not vote in the last election at all - there was nobody to vote for), I do not like him personally, the tweets and his other "communication style" - I was frankly distracted by that, and thought he might ruin both the GOP and the economy. I didn't vote for him probably for the same true reasons for which Paul Ryan resigned from Trump's government (although it was formally because Ryan wanted time to be more of a family man - that reason isn't bad either, after one earns his freedom). But Paul Ryan is young, will most likely come out of his early retirement when the moment is right, and then I'll vote for him! :-). Maybe I'll vote for Trump in this year's election; however, that would be voting for his cabinet, not for him personally. I certainly won't vote for any of the available Dems, except in the unlikely final case of Yang running against Trump.

I already said that, if I were a full-year resident New Yorker and a NYC mayoral voter, I would vote for a centrist Dem, namely Diaz Jr, because no Republican has a good chance for being elected a mayor of NYC right now (I would love to be wrong about that, but unfortunately I don't think I am), and Diaz Jr is likely to do the least amount of damage compared with other Dem candidates for a mayor. See, I can employ your tactical approach too!

Old 02-03-2020, 10:58 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,961,043 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter. Nigerian Americans won't vote GOP anyway.

Parties should not be pandering to their "base" they need to look out for the nation's best interest. Maybe that's why this country is in the same that it is in -- too many interest groups and political nonsense.

The most realistic option for NYC is to elect a moderate Democrat or Third Party candidate for Mayor. The Republican voting base is long gone as others have mentioned. Most of the Republican/Conservative leaning friends that I grew up with have left NYC, or changed parties. I have been living in MA but consistently vote Republican.

For a Giuliani type Republican to win in NYC, he/she would need to decisively win Queens, Staten Island while running competitively in Brooklyn. Manhattan and the Bronx are lost causes. If you look at the demographic change in Queens, where white flight is continuing unabated, the shifting demographics in Staten Island and Southern Brooklyn, this isn't 1993 anymore.

If we continue on this progressive trajectory, crime will increase, infrastructure will decrease and the tax base will shrink. I have been fortune to do well in life and NYC will always remain home, so I'll still buy property under those conditions. However, I don't ever see myself living in NYC full time.

Old 02-03-2020, 11:42 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,913,387 times
rather have a bad mayor, than a president who made us the laughing stock of the world, that other countries don't take seriously anymore

deblasio is one that has to learn from his mistakes, then he corrects em

he should amend the bail reform law.. make it so that if you're caught in another crime, the penalties are more serious

some of the blame should be spread to cuomo too... he doesn't play nice in the sandbox with people

Old 02-03-2020, 01:13 PM

6,695 posts, read 6,053,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
rather have a bad mayor, than a president who made us the laughing stock of the world, that other countries don't take seriously anymore

deblasio is one that has to learn from his mistakes, then he corrects em

he should amend the bail reform law.. make it so that if you're caught in another crime, the penalties are more serious

some of the blame should be spread to cuomo too... he doesn't play nice in the sandbox with people
I didn't vote for Trump, but I think he's done a heck of a job getting rid of NAFTA. Now that benefits everyone in the US. The media wants you to believe that the world is laughing at him, but it's quite the opposite - countries are afraid he'll come out with a "Trump card" no pun intended. We've been paying tariffs to China, India and Europe and Trump eliminated all of that. Gone are the days (at least during his presidency) when other countries take advantage of our resources and where the playing field is not leveled.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:29 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,614,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I didn't vote for Trump, but I think he's done a heck of a job getting rid of NAFTA. Now that benefits everyone in the US. The media wants you to believe that the world is laughing at him, but it's quite the opposite - countries are afraid he'll come out with a "Trump card" no pun intended. We've been paying tariffs to China, India and Europe and Trump eliminated all of that. Gone are the days (at least during his presidency) when other countries take advantage of our resources and where the playing field is not leveled.
I went to Germany recently and I have to disagree, this bartender told me that she refuses to even go to the US because of Trump. At least in Berlin, Trump is not a popular guy at all, and the closest thing they have to our GOP (AfD) is shunned.

I think Trump is only popular in Russia and Israel, at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City