Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 11:21 PM

1,074 posts, read 949,501 times

Advertisements

NYC will elect another Republican. Bloomberg is not a Republican. He ran as one because the Democrats are too obsessed with identity politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 12:35 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Bloomberg was 0% conservative, I agree.

But I doubt NYC will have another Republican mayor. The demographics of this city are different from the 90s, the old guard conservatives are dead, retired to Florida, or in nursing homes.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:37 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Bloomberg is not a Republican. He ran as one because the Democrats are too obsessed with identity politics.

I disagree. Bloomberg ran as a Republican because, had he run as a Democrat, he would have been lost in the crowd. By running as a Republican, he avoided the Democratic primary election (which he might not have won), and guaranteed a spot for himself on the November ballot. (He then "lucked out" when 9/11 made Giuliani a hero to many, and he could position himself as Giuliani's Republican heir.)

Bloomberg is playing the same strategy in his presidential bid. By avoiding the debates, he avoids being lost in the crowd.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:02 AM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
I'm sure we will, becuase democrat and republican mean nothing in NYC. You just run as whatever allows you to avoid as much hassle as possible. Bloomberg obviously wasn't a real republican, although he is enough of a rich corporate controlled puppet to be one.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:25 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,388,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I'm sure we will, becuase democrat and republican mean nothing in NYC. You just run as whatever allows you to avoid as much hassle as possible. Bloomberg obviously wasn't a real republican, although he is enough of a rich corporate controlled puppet to be one.

Bloomberg is a "rich corporate controlled puppet"?? Now really, there is a limit to application of "woke" jargon :-). I understand that a woke vocabulary consists of only a few specific expressions (all other words in a dictionary are either offensive or unfamiliar to wokes), but the standard, formulaic woke expression "rich corporate controlled puppet" truly does not apply to Bloomberg: out of that entire page from Das Kapital that you slapped on him, only the word "rich" actually applies to him. He is not a corporate controlled puppet because he is the one who exerts corporate control in his particular realm - when you run business at his level, you don't have a reason to be anybody's puppet, buddy :-).

He has no chance of being a president, though, because (a) Democrat voters from outside NY generally don't know him from Adam, at least not as a politician, and (b) his entire political career and values have been Republican, and everyone with an ounce of brain realizes that he is running as a Democrat only because he wouldn't have a chance against Trump's firmly established image if he tried to run as a Republican (and he is too old to wait til 2024, when he could have that chance).

As far as another Republican mayor of NYC, unfortunately the typical Republican NYC electorate is leaving NYC... half of the properties advertised in Wall Street Journal are in Texas, the other half all over the country... any time they showcase a NYC property nowadays, there is always a mention of "price decreased from $X to $X minus 3 million".

Last edited by elnrgby; 02-02-2020 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-02-2020, 08:35 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,223,380 times
One thing I learn in life is never say never. All it will take is to have the progressive Democrats run the city into the ground (which they are working on doing quite well) to where even blacks, Latinos and Asians are so fed up that they will go back to the center or right of center.

As more blacks and Latinos become more successful and move into the middle class, the Left’s message about race and income inequality will be less appealing so it is not a certainty the Democrats will have a permanent stranglehold on NYC politics.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
One thing I learn in life is never say never. All it will take is to have the progressive Democrats run the city into the ground (which they are working on doing quite well) to where even blacks, Latinos and Asians are so fed up that they will go back to the center or right of center.

As more blacks and Latinos become more successful and move into the middle class, the Left’s message about race and income inequality will be less appealing so it is not a certainty the Democrats will have a permanent stranglehold on NYC politics.

Maybe. Or maybe the city will be run into the ground so badly that nobody will even consider trying to salvage it. It is much easier to build something new than to rehabilitate something ruined.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,223,380 times
NYC has great “bones.” The infrastructure is there. The location is quite ideal. The foundation for a successful city is all there. Someone will always look to salvage it no matter how bad it gets. If Detroit, Philly, Newark, etc. can be revitalized, NYC will almost be a certain to be worth it.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
NYC has great “bones.” The infrastructure is there. The location is quite ideal. The foundation for a successful city is all there. Someone will always look to salvage it no matter how bad it gets. If Detroit, Philly, Newark, etc. can be revitalized, NYC will almost be a certain to be worth it.

I hope you are right. But I may not live long enough to see it :-). Btw, Detroit and large swaths of Philly have not been particularly revitalized to my knowledge (I don't know anything about Newark except the airport). There are cities in Upstate NY that rivalled NYC in size and significance at different times in history, but completely died when economy moved to the next level. What the swich from Erie Canal to freight trains did to Utica NY (), the switch from in-person to electronic financial operations could theoretically do to NYC. The matter is that location no longer matters much, ie, the reasons for salvaging NYC would be purely historic/cultural - but millenials are famous for not caring about antiques and nostalgia.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:18 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I disagree. Bloomberg ran as a Republican because, had he run as a Democrat, he would have been lost in the crowd. By running as a Republican, he avoided the Democratic primary election (which he might not have won), and guaranteed a spot for himself on the November ballot. (He then "lucked out" when 9/11 made Giuliani a hero to many, and he could position himself as Giuliani's Republican heir.)

Bloomberg is playing the same strategy in his presidential bid. By avoiding the debates, he avoids being lost in the crowd.
Read Politico "DNC overhauls debate requirements, opening door for Bloomberg."

I think you will see him on the debate stage soon. Maybe his strategy was to wait until the herd thinned out? It's clear that in America you can buy a presidency, or your way out of anything criminal.

Will there be a Republican mayor in NYC? The odds are yes. We had a Republican governor here in Illinois, and that should have been unheard of in a solid blue state. Want to be mayor in New York City? Buy your way in. It's always all about the coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City